Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Not Perfect, but Getting Closer.

Tenchi

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect,
but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet;
but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

The Gospel of Salvation declares that all people are lost in darkness, separated from their Holy Maker by their sin, bound under the power of the World, their own flesh, and the devil (Ephesians 2:1-3; Titus 3:3; Colossians 1:21; Romans 3:10). In such a state, we were all "without strength" to save ourselves from the just and holy wrath of God that our sin deserves (Romans 5:6). But God, who is "rich in mercy," because He is a God of love as well as justice, made a way through Jesus Christ for us to be reconciled to Himself (Ephesians 2:4-6; Colossians 1:19-22; 2 Corinthians 5:21). In love and grace, God reached out to us who were helpless and soiled by sin, offering to us cleansing, forgiveness and new life in Jesus Christ (1 John 5:11-12; John 14:6; 1 John 1:9; John 3:3-7).

When, in positive response to the Gospel, a person is "born again," given new spiritual life in the Person of the Holy Spirit, they embark on a process of growth and change, moving from spiritual infancy to spiritual adulthood. What does "spiritual infancy" look like? Well, the Bible offers a pretty good description, actually:

1 Corinthians 3:1-3
1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.
2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,
3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

The marks of a spiritual infant in this passage are:

- being "fleshly," or "of flesh," which is to say, occupied by the things of the flesh: bodily impulses, sensuality, a tight focus on the immediate rather than the eternal, pursuing material gain, and self-centeredness.
- cannot receive spiritual "solid food," only spiritual "milk" which are the "baby truths" of Christian living: God loves me, God forgives me, sin is bad and obedience to God is good, I'm saved from eternal hell, I should confess my sins when I commit them, etc..
- jealousy, partisan strife (I like Apollos better than Paul!).

Make no mistake: Though the description Paul offers here of the believers at Corinth is very...unflattering, he confirms again and again that they are, nonetheless, genuine children of God, they are truly "in Christ" though they are infants in him.

Hebrews 5:12-13
12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.

Other indications of spiritual infancy given here are:

- inability to teach the deeper truths of spiritual living.
- need to be taught - again - the "elementary principles of the "oracles of God (or Scripture)."
- partakes only of spiritual "milk."

Hebrews 6:1-2
1 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
2 of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.

The spiritual infant also:

- is reluctant to leave off spiritual "milk" and "press on to maturity."
- is caught in a cycle of repentance, sin (dead works), repentance, sin.
- hasn't deepened in their faith in God.
- is occupied with external obedience to God in religious ritual.
- must be taught again and again to think in eternal terms and live in the light of the Final Judgment to come.

Ephesians 4:14
14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

Being spiritually childish involves:

- being "tossed here and there by waves and winds of false doctrine, trickery of men, and deceitful scheming." This happens, in part, because the spiritually immature person is often "double-minded," doubting God, with one foot in the World and the other in the kingdom of God, (James 1:6-7; 1 John 2:15; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18), refusing to "come out from among them and be separate."

No born-again person has to remain a spiritual infant. Thank God. In the Person of the Holy Spirit, under the mind-transforming power of God's word, through the teaching, encouragement and support of the Body of Believers, the child of God can grow to maturity spiritually, attaining to "the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).

Understand, though, that no believer is instantly all-perfected in their practical living. This isn't an excuse to remain infantile spiritually, of course; becoming more and more like Christ ought to be a constant in the life of every born-again child of God (Romans 8:29). The legalism, fear and hypocrisy that develops under the false doctrine of sinless perfection, though, is not a biblical alternative to spiritual juvenility. This false doctrine doesn't help holiness but actually hinders it, obscuring the rot of sin in one's life under a cloak of prideful (and often fearful) error.

God remembers we are dust (Psalm 103:14). He is well-acquainted with our human infirmities (Hebrews 4:15). He is not standing over us, glowering, poised to sever us from Himself the moment we sin. He does not say when we sin, "I never knew you!" Instead, He has delivered to us in His word and in the Person of the Holy Spirit all we need to grow from carnal "infants in Christ" to men and women of deep faith, holy lives and great wisdom, the character of Christ shining brightly in and through us.

Be at peace, then: God ain't finished with you yet!

Philippians 1:6
6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Jude 1:24-25
24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,
25 to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Hebrews 13:5
5 ...for he
(God) has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Last edited:
Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect,
but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet;
but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

The Gospel of Salvation declares that all people are lost in darkness, separated from their Holy Maker by their sin, bound under the power of the World, their own flesh, and the devil (Ephesians 2:1-3; Titus 3:3; Colossians 1:21; Romans 3:10). In such a state, we were all "without strength" to save ourselves from the just and holy wrath of God that our sin deserves (Romans 5:6). But God, who is "rich in mercy," because He is a God of love as well as justice, made a way through Jesus Christ for us to be reconciled to Himself (Ephesians 2:4-6; Colossians 1:19-22; 2 Corinthians 5:21). In love and grace, God reached out to us who were helpless and soiled by sin, offering to us cleansing, forgiveness and new life in Jesus Christ (1 John 5:11-12; John 14:6; 1 John 1:9; John 3:3-7).

When, in positive response to the Gospel, a person is "born again," given new spiritual life in the Person of the Holy Spirit, they embark on a process of growth and change, moving from spiritual infancy to spiritual adulthood. What does "spiritual infancy" look like? Well, the Bible offers a pretty good description, actually:

1 Corinthians 3:1-3
1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.
2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,
3 for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

The marks of a spiritual infant in this passage are:

- being "fleshly," or "of flesh," which is to say, occupied by the things of the flesh: bodily impulses, sensuality, a tight focus on the immediate rather than the eternal, pursuing material gain, and self-centeredness.
- cannot receive spiritual "solid food," only spiritual "milk" which are the "baby truths" of Christian living: God loves me, God forgives me, sin is bad and obedience to God is good, I'm saved from eternal hell, I should confess my sins when I commit them, etc..
- jealousy, partisan strife (I like Apollos better than Paul!).

Make no mistake: Though the description Paul offers here of the believers at Corinth is very...unflattering, he confirms again and again that they are, nonetheless, genuine children of God, they are truly "in Christ" though they are infants in him.

Hebrews 5:12-13
12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food.
13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.

Other indications of spiritual infancy given here are:

- inability to teach the deeper truths of spiritual living.
- need to be taught - again - the "elementary principles of the "oracles of God (or Scripture)."
- partakes only of spiritual "milk."

Hebrews 6:1-2
1 Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
2 of instruction about washings and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.

The spiritual infant also:

- is reluctant to leave off spiritual "milk" and "press on to maturity."
- is caught in a cycle of repentance, sin (dead works), repentance, sin.
- hasn't deepened in their faith in God.
- is occupied with external obedience to God in religious ritual.
- must be taught again and again to think in eternal terms and live in the light of the Final Judgment to come.

Ephesians 4:14
14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming;

Being spiritually childish involves:

- being "tossed here and there by waves and winds of false doctrine, trickery of men, and deceitful scheming." This happens, in part, because the spiritually immature person is often "double-minded," doubting God, with one foot in the World and the other in the kingdom of God, (James 1:6-7; 1 John 2:15; 2 Corinthians 6:14-18), refusing to "come out from among them and be separate."

No born-again person has to remain a spiritual infant. Thank God. In the Person of the Holy Spirit, under the mind-transforming power of God's word, through the teaching, encouragement and support of the Body of Believers, the child of God can grow to maturity spiritually, attaining to "the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).

Understand, though, that no believer is instantly all-perfected in their practical living. This isn't an excuse to remain infantile spiritually, of course; becoming more and more like Christ ought to be a constant in the life of every born-again child of God (Romans 8:29). The legalism, fear and hypocrisy that develops under the false doctrine of sinless perfection, though, is not a biblical alternative to spiritual juvenility. This false doctrine doesn't help holiness but actually hinders it, obscuring the rot of sin in one's life under a cloak of prideful (and often fearful) error.

God remembers we are dust (Psalm 103:14). He is well-acquainted with our human infirmities (Hebrews 4:15). He is not standing over us, glowering, poised to sever us from Himself the moment we sin. He does not say when we sin, "I never knew you!" Instead, He has delivered to us in His word and in the Person of the Holy Spirit all we need to grow from carnal "infants in Christ" to men and women of deep faith, holy lives and great wisdom, the character of Christ shining brightly in and through us.

Be at peace, then: God ain't finished with you yet!

6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Jude 1:24-25
24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy,
25 to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Hebrews 13:5
5 ...for he
(God) has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
I am sure glad that Jesus told us to be perfect, (Matt 5:48), so that I can live without doubting it was possible.
I rejoice that I can live without any more imperfection in my Christian life.
I am glad Paul, Peter, John, and James, explained how to be perfect in Christ.
I thank God for the gift f the Holy Ghost to keep me perfect.

The call to spiritual maturation is a difficult one to answer for many. I enjoy your post. My question 🙋‍♂️ is how do believers pursue genuine spiritual development in today’s world 🌎 where it seems many established churches ⛪️ prefer to keep adherents entertained and under developed?

Thankfully, God takes to Himself the responsibility for our spiritual growth. Though He would use the Church in accomplishing that growth in us, He does not need the Church to do so. When the Church generally is laboring under profound cultural poisoning, weak and juvenile, wanting worldly stimulation rather than spiritual maturation, as is the case presently in North America, God is still able to draw His children on individually into a holy, joyful and intimate experience of Himself.

John 14:26
John 16:13
1 Corinthians 2:10-16
2 Corinthians 3:18

etc.

I've been putting together a video Discipleship Series on YouTube. My hope is that individual believers can be helped in moving into a deep, holy, joyful experience of God even when they find themselves alone in desiring such a thing in their home church. When they're online, I'll let you know.

The call to spiritual maturation is a difficult one to answer for many. I enjoy your post. My question 🙋‍♂️ is how do believers pursue genuine spiritual development in today’s world 🌎 where it seems many established churches ⛪️ prefer to keep adherents entertained and under developed?
One possible way to begin is to not allow yourself to be totally and blindly influenced, managed, or controlled by the church alone but rather be a little bit of an independent thinker and look to the Scriptures yourself for guidance. Because we are not all theologians or Biblical scholars, we need to seek a balance between what is being taught and what is contained in God's Word.

Good points.
We’re all called to emulate the believers of Berea…

It’s just kind of intense and it’s not just big churches ⛪️ or mega churches ⛪️.

The church you attend should have a Sunday school program going and you should be able to learn there . The literature should be available for you to read and check it to see if it is leading you to all truth . There should be a Sunday school class that would match your needs .

In the West, Christians have slowly fallen under the sway of the "expert," taking no view of what it is to experience God except it comes to them from some credentialed seminarian (preferably holding a Ph.D.). But while the average born-again person may need a seminarian to explain to them the details of, say, the last fifty years of archaeological research into the historical accounts of the Bible, or the vast realm of natural theology and Christian philosophy that ground much of Christian apologetics, or the minutiae of Bible preservation and translation over the last 2000 years, not one child of God needs an expert of these sorts in order to know God and walk well with Him. Every child of God, seminarian or not, can be an "expert" in fellowship with God, the Bible and the Holy Spirit entirely sufficient to make such expertise a reality in their lives (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Psalms 1; Psalms 119). Yes, the man or woman who can, by deep and prolonged study of the Greek and Hebrew languages, assure us that the Bible we read today is accurate and trustworthy in its rendering of God's word is a great confidence-booster to the average Christian layperson. But the layperson's knowledge of, and delight in their Heavenly Father doesn't - and shouldn't - at all depend upon such an expert. God interacts with each of His children directly and intimately - if they'll live as He's commanded them to do and will make of each of them a deeply-wise, holy, gracious and loving reflection of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3; Revelation 3:20; Romans 8:15). No child of God, then, need ever despair of being an "expert" in walking with Him because they cannot afford a seminary degree, or haven't the disposition or intellect for higher-level academic study, or don't have some credentialed pastor dictating the shape of their faith to them at every turn.

Last edited:
The move towards trusting experts has extended to all areas of one’s life in modern developed countries. Organization experts cleaning experts parenting experts family and marriage experts…

It’s apparently part of the modernization process. Ugh 😑

I think 🤔 cultivating a more biblical worldview is challenging. My problem is that I see churches ⛪️ that seem threatened by their congregants potential for genuine development and maturation.

In the West, Christians have slowly fallen under the sway of the "expert," taking no view of what it is to experience God except it comes to them from some credentialed seminarian (preferably holding a Ph.D.). But while the average born-again person may need a seminarian to explain to them the details of, say, the last fifty years of archaeological research into the historical accounts of the Bible, or the vast realm of natural theology and Christian philosophy that ground much of Christian apologetics, or the minutiae of Bible preservation and translation over the last 2000 years, not one child of God needs an expert of these sorts in order to know God and walk well with Him. Every child of God, seminarian or not, can be an "expert" in fellowship with God, the Bible and the Holy Spirit entirely sufficient to make such expertise a reality in their lives (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Psalms 1; Psalms 119). Yes, the man or woman who can, by deep and prolonged study of the Greek and Hebrew languages, assure us that the Bible we read today is accurate and trustworthy in its rendering of God's word is a great confidence-booster to the average Christian layperson. But the layperson's knowledge of, and delight in their Heavenly Father doesn't - and shouldn't - at all depend upon such an expert. God interacts with each of His children directly and intimately - if they'll live as He's commanded them to do and will make of each of them a deeply-wise, holy, gracious and loving reflection of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3; Revelation 3:20; Romans 8:15). No child of God, then, need ever despair of being an "expert" in walking with Him because they cannot afford a seminary degree, or haven't the disposition or intellect for higher-level academic study, or don't have some credentialed pastor dictating the shape of their faith to them at every turn.
In my youth while I was a member of the Catholic church, I never saw or had in my hands a copy of a Holy Bible. We never had one in our home that I was aware of either. Generally, the Catholic church did not encourage laypeople to read the Scriptures for themselves. We were to obtain our understanding from the church priest and leadership. My family was old school.

However, in 1943, Pope Pius VII changed that and not only allowed but encouraged Catholic laypeople to read and study Scripture. This coupled with Protestant prayer groups, study groups, and other references including cultural activities exposing Catholic members to Scripture began to move Catholics to read and study more Scripture for themselves. The result was an inspiring for them that they never had before. I suppose this is partly what has been the catalyst for some of the relaxing of Catholic stances on certain issues. Maybe, I don't know.

The move towards trusting experts has extended to all areas of one’s life in modern developed countries. Organization experts cleaning experts parenting experts family and marriage experts…

I think 🤔 cultivating a more biblical worldview is challenging. My problem is that I see churches ⛪️ that seem threatened by their congregants potential for genuine development and maturation.
Yes, society is moving more and more toward relying on others to determine what is best for us, how best to keep us safe, etc. This flies in the face of what I have always believed was the best parenting style. I have said it many times that I believe there are two basic styles of parenting, aside from neglect. One is that parents believe their responsibility is to protect their children always. The other, which is my view, is that parents' responsibility is to teach their children how to protect themselves.

Actually, I think it is part of the process of stupefying the populace, of making it brainless and easily led. This isn't "modernization" but the making of a tractable proletariat for the global communism waiting in the wings for western democracy to collapse so that it can step in and put all the proles to work for the "common good," which is to say, for the global elites. Deferring to the expert is, as we're seeing more and more, a recipe for cultural disaster.

Back