Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

OCD, the faith and sins

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hello! I'm a 25-year-old man. The post will be long and confusing... I don't even know where to start. I have Religious OCD. People who experience this form of OCD suffer from obsessive religious doubts and fears, unwanted blasphemous thoughts and images. I don't want to take antidepressants because I had an anxiety disorder as a child and took them, and I don't know if it's related, but I had a headache for 2 years and the doctors couldn't find a reason. I keep thinking it's because of the antidepressants, and I'm scared. I never want to take antidepressants. ERP therapy is difficult to undergo. Otherwise, I'm ready for psychotherapy, but it might not be effective. Sometimes I really want to give up because I don't want to defile the religion. I've read about many people that when they give up their faith, these thoughts disappear. It's just that I don't want to give up. I really don't know what to do. Every time I start to go to church or something, more thoughts start to appear, and it gets worse. I know that blasphemy is unforgivable. Will I really be forgiven? How can I continue with my faith and remove these thoughts? The more I devote myself to faith, the more bad thoughts come.

My father had minor alcohol problems. They weren't that big. He and my mother constantly fought. I took my mother's side and argued with him. I often insulted him and treated him badly. This was during the Covid crisis, and everything was very difficult. We had other problems separately. My father committed suicide over a year ago. I can't forgive myself to this day. I am guilty. I am truly a bad person. I pray for God to forgive me, for my loved ones to forgive me. I will never forgive myself. I cry every day, and I miss him so much, and now he's gone because of me. I might not be entirely to blame, but I am. I cry at work, I cry at home, and I pray for my father and God to forgive me. I am a bad person. My father was the best human I have ever seen.

Last edited:
have Religious OCD. People who experience this form of OCD suffer from obsessive religious doubts and fears, unwanted blasphemous thoughts and images
Please read this Web site about coping with OCD, particularly point 4.
https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/25-tips-for-ocd-treatment/

My father committed suicide over a year ago. I can't forgive myself to this day. I am guilty. I am truly a bad person. I pray for God to forgive me, for my loved ones to forgive me. I will never forgive myself.
May I make a suggestion.
That you start trusting, believing what God in the Bible says.
You are unable to forgive yourself for words, things you have done, yet God is both able and willing to forgive you All your sins.
1John1:9 if we confess our sins ( to God ) he is faithful and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Please talk to your doctor, get medical advice, share what the Web site says with your doctor, your Mother, Pastor, and close friends so they know how to help you.

Hello! I'm a 25-year-old man. The post will be long and confusing... I don't even know where to start. I have Religious OCD. People who experience this form of OCD suffer from obsessive religious doubts and fears, unwanted blasphemous thoughts and images. I don't want to take antidepressants because I had an anxiety disorder as a child and took them, and I don't know if it's related, but I had a headache for 2 years and the doctors couldn't find a reason. I keep thinking it's because of the antidepressants, and I'm scared. I never want to take antidepressants. ERP therapy is difficult to undergo. Otherwise, I'm ready for psychotherapy, but it might not be effective. Sometimes I really want to give up because I don't want to defile the religion. I've read about many people that when they give up their faith, these thoughts disappear. It's just that I don't want to give up. I really don't know what to do. Every time I start to go to church or something, more thoughts start to appear, and it gets worse. I know that blasphemy is unforgivable. Will I really be forgiven? How can I continue with my faith and remove these thoughts? The more I devote myself to faith, the more bad thoughts come.

You know, God actually addresses your problem really directly and plainly in His word, the Bible. You don't need therapy, or drugs, you need to be confident that God loves you.

1 John 4:16-19
16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
17 By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
19 We love, because He first loved us.

God isn't out to get you; He's not eager to wallop you if you disobey. What He wants is for you to be sure He loves you so that you can fully enjoy fellowship with Him.

1 John 1:3
3 ...indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.
(See also: 1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Corinthians 13:14)

What do I mean by fellowship? Intimate relational communion. Do you know the Story of the Prodigal Son that Jesus told? You can read the story in the Bible in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15, verses 11-32. In the story, a son takes his inheritance and goes off into a far country and wastes it all. He ends up in a pigpen eating pig food. There, he looks up from the degradation of the mire and determines to return to his father. He hopes merely to be a servant in his father's house, which would be far better than digging in the filth of the pigpen for scraps.

The father's watching for his son and when he sees the Prodigal afar off, the father runs out, embraces his boy, kisses him and calls for his household to throw a party. All the while the Prodigal was off being an idiot, his fellowship with his father was impossible. His Dad couldn't hug him, kiss him on the cheek, and enjoy the presence of his son, giving him gifts and feasting with him. But this is what the father of the Prodigal wanted. He didn't demand his son return his inheritance, or work to pay it back; he didn't penalize his boy, extracting penance from him through a series of punishments; he didn't shout and beat his wayward child, scolding him for his foolishness. What the father wanted was his son back, safe and sound, so they could fellowship together as father and son.

Jesus' Prodigal Son story is, among other things, a picture of God's attitude toward His own children. God loves them dearly - wayward and wandering though they may be - and wants to shower them with the goods things that He is. And He's proved His enormous love for them by sending His only Son to earth to "be sin for us who knew no sin that we might be the righteous of God in him." (2 Corinthians 5:21) In love, God became flesh and dwelt among us so that He might free us of the penalty and power of Sin and bring us into fellowship with Himself (John 3:16; Romans 5:6-8). Do you believe it? Will you believe it?

What's really crazy is that God did all this when we were His enemies, when we were in rebellion to Him, seeking our own way rather than His. He didn't love us as He did through Jesus only when we were good enough to be so loved; God didn't demand we earn His loving sacrifice before He made it; God didn't wait for sinners to clean themselves up before He'd love them. No, in love He sent His Son to die for wicked people, for rebels, and haters, people bound in darkness and Sin. (Titus 3:3-8; Colossians 1:20-22; Ephesians 2:1-10) Can you trust a God who loves you like this? Absolutely! Will you?

1 John 4:16
16 We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.

It's one thing to know God loves you; it's another to really believe it. This is where I think you're having a problem that's reflected in your religious OCD. With God, you don't have to be afraid in a craven, cowering way, the way of a slave under a cruel and brutal Master, but can "come boldly unto the throne of grace," knowing that your acceptance by God doesn't rest on you but on the One in whom you have believed - Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-10; John 3:16; Ephesians 1:6; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 2:20).

Only because of Jesus does God accept any sinner. When sinners trust in Christ as their Savior and yield themselves to him as Lord (Romans 10:9-10), they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Christ (Romans 8:9), and by the Spirit are placed "in Christ." So, God sees all of His children in him, clothed in his perfect righteousness, not their own righteousness, and thus are perfectly acceptable to Him. And because Jesus' righteousness is perfect and never changes, God's acceptance of those clothed in such righteousness never changes, either. As a result, we have promises of God like the following:

John 10:27-29
27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Romans 8:31-39
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?
32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?
33 Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies;
34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.
35 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 Just as it is written, "For your sake we are being put to death all day long; we were considered as sheep to be slaughtered."
37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.
38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 13:5
5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you."

As the apostle John wrote, when you not only know but believe, really believe, that God loves you, your fear will dissolve and with it all the OCD stuff that plagues you. "There is no fear in love but perfect (complete, matured) love casts out fear." This is part of God's way to freedom from your fear. Will you settle confident in His love?

My father had minor alcohol problems. They weren't that big. He and my mother constantly fought. I took my mother's side and argued with him. I often insulted him and treated him badly. This was during the Covid crisis, and everything was very difficult. We had other problems separately. My father committed suicide over a year ago. I can't forgive myself to this day. I am guilty. I am truly a bad person.

You can be sure when your Dad stands before God on Judgment Day that your Dad won't be able to point at you and say, "My suicide was his fault!" No, your Dad made choices and he is entirely responsible for them, not you.

Anyway, we are all "truly bad." That's why we all of us need Jesus so desperately. As far as God is concerned, without Jesus, without being covered by his atoning sacrifice for our sins, we are all so awful we all deserve to go to hell. Dwelling on this fact won't make you a better person, though; no one ever became more like Christ by focusing on their sin. God commands us instead to "look unto Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith," to "consider him," and let his perfection, his love, holiness, and grace, his glory, fill our minds and hearts every day. As it does, the Holy Spirit conforms us, bit by bit, to our focus so that, in time, we are like him. (Hebrews 12:2-3; 2 Corinthians 3:18)

My father had minor alcohol problems. They weren't that big. He and my mother constantly fought. I took my mother's side and argued with him. I often insulted him and treated him badly. This was during the Covid crisis, and everything was very difficult. We had other problems separately. My father committed suicide over a year ago. I can't forgive myself to this day. I am guilty. I am truly a bad person. I pray for God to forgive me, for my loved ones to forgive me. I will never forgive myself. I cry every day, and I miss him so much, and now he's gone because of me. I might not be entirely to blame, but I am. I cry at work, I cry at home, and I pray for my father and God to forgive me. I am a bad person. My father was the best human I have ever seen.
Do you havr Facebook? There's a group called Christianity and Anxiety - Let's Talk. The lady who runs the group has OCD and as done talks, written a book on it. I highly recommend the group.

Hi Findsmartyway I know what it’s like to have religious ocd.

This may seem stupid but its what I do and it works.

My advice would be praying your ocd thoughts.

For example if you get the thought: God is weak and filthy and selfish…

You can pray: Dear God and Trinity: I want to love You Lord may I not value You as weak filthy and selfish…

And say: I want to believe, I will believe, and I do believe. (My friend taught me that)

There is power in confessing and proclaiming the word and positive messages.

Many people think self help and motivational speakers can be nonchristian, but I believe they are doing alot right with principles.

The Word says take captive every thought…2Cor10v5

The Word Also Says Pray About Everything instead of worrying…Phil4v6

And finally we know to pray without ceasing…1Thess5v17

So my advice would be to make your life more full of prayer and more focused on the message(s) in Scripture.

For the specific verses we know are the sword of truth…Eph6v17

I have a secret which is: proclaiming philippians 4v13 while trying or struggling to do anything will help you have victory in the specific task you are doing. I believe confessing this verse gives us power over the enemy when we are doing stuff. You can confess it any silly way you would ever want to say it…for example: I Can Doeth All Things Througheth Cristo Yasuith who strenkineth me-ith and you-eth.

And one final thing if in your life you feel anxious and you feel something bad is going to happen, you can pray:
Dear Lord and Trio: May I not mess up, screw up, or f*** up. Sorry but I believe praying the F word sometimes is appropriate considering the circumstances, environment and the world around us.

Have a blessed hump day (WEDNESDAY!)

And you can personal message me if you need more help with OCD and Mental Illness.

Peace (-:

Findsmartyway hey buddy and btw don’t give up. I believe your reward in heaven will be so much greater if you just keep on holding on. God can provide relief, comfort, protection, hope.

Keep on asking…Matt7v7

I believe the further we are from sin the closer we are to God and He will answer our prayers more when their is less sin.

Do your best to cut out the sin in your life.

I am sorry about your Dad. Yeah I have been mean to my Dad lately and it makes me feel bad because I only want my Dad to feel good about himself. My Dad’s friend committed suicide too leaving behind too sons. I would say just live a good life loving your mom and praying with her often. I believe suicide is NOT the unforgivable sin. Pray that God has mercy on you, your mom and dad. If your Dad ever accepted The Lord I believe he is in heaven and that gift is irrevocable and eternal.

Lastly with antidepressants…for me some meds gave me horrible side effects, but not all medications are the same. I would say speak to a psychiatrist and try to get a different antidepressant possibly in a different class.

Hope you have a blessed Day God Bless <3

By the way, Findsmartyway, I wasn't giving you mere theory when I wrote to you what I did. I struggled with acute anxiety, OCD and depression when I was in my twenties (I'm nearing sixty now). It was awful. Chain panic-attacks, insomnia, swallowing issues, exhaustion, despair - it was all there and more besides. But God was enough to liberate me from all of it. His "way of escape" is into freedom that lasts, not merely coping endlessly with what is plaguing you. I hope you'll take God's way and find the same freedom I did. If you want to chat privately, just PM me.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back