Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

OS and programs you use...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
What OS does your computer run, and what programs do you most frequently use?

Windows Vista Black Edition 2009

Internet:
Opera
Firefox

Antivirus/Anti-malware:
Avast 4.8 Professional
Malwarebytes

Other programs:
Audacity
n-Track Studio
FL Studio 8 XXL
EncryptFiles
SnagIt 8

Ancient, windows 98 1996 version. dial up service, slower than cold honey. :verysad I'm lucky if I can get to another computer somewhere to watch some of the yourtube videos once every so often. :gah I suppose it's better than nothing, aye?

Windows XP

I just managed to get Linux installed on my rig, but it can't get onto the internet.

I have a free account at Ghost, which is a cloud operating system. Ghost is about as advanced as Windows 98, but it's free. All your files are stored online.

This machine runs 64-bit Vista Ultimate. Technically it belongs to my wife's company, but since she works out of the house, I use it as my home machine. My laptop runs XP Pro. On Tuesday I updated my work computer from 64-bit XP to 64-bit 7 Ultimate but they're buying me a laptop which will also be running 64-bit 7 Ultimate. I have a 9-year old Dell with Win 2000 but it's just sits, waiting for me to decide what to do with it--Linux maybe.

Firefox is my preferred browser on all platforms and on this machine it is the program that I also most frequently use, by far. I don't do anything on this one but surf the net and play tunes--iTunes or MediaMonkey. I have Audacity but have yet to use it. I run Kaspersky for anti-virus but I think I will get something else when it expires.

Free said:
This machine runs 64-bit Vista Ultimate. Technically it belongs to my wife's company, but since she works out of the house, I use it as my home machine. My laptop runs XP Pro. Tuesday I updated my work computer from 64-bit XP to 64-bit 7 Ultimate but they're buying me a laptop which will also be running 64-bit 7 Ultimate. I have a 9-year old Dell with Win 2000 but it's just sits, waiting for me to decide what to do with it--Linux maybe.

Firefox is my preferred browser on all platforms and on this machine it is the program that I also most frequently use, by far. I don't do anything on this one but surf the net and play tunes--iTunes or MediaMonkey. I have Audacity but have yet to use it. I run Kaspersky for anti-virus but I think I will get something else when it expires.

Wooooo for ultimate! There's so many incredible things with it. I love the DreamScene packages the most. And how is 7 ultimate? What are the big changes with it?

All right! I managed to get Ubuntu Linux installed on a virtual machine, and it works great! And, uh, yawn, snore...

NoMoreSilence said:
Wooooo for ultimate! There's so many incredible things with it. I love the DreamScene packages the most. And how is 7 ultimate? What are the big changes with it?
I still have the default background on the Vista machine. lol They kept the gadgets and the Start Menu layout. What is different is the Taskbar. Instead of a tab, there are only icons for each program you have open and each icon can represent one or more instances of that program. For instance, if you are using Windows Explorer and you have more than one window open, only one icon will show but if you click it, it will give you the option of which one you want to see. I think that MS took a page out of the Apple book for 7.

The calculator is better. lol There is the basic and scientific, but also two others--statistical and programming. On top of that, you can have an extension on the calculator for things like unit conversion, mortgage calculator, or mileage converter.

I know there is more but since I use it for work, I haven't had a lot of time to actually play around and figure out everything that is new. It does seem to better use the 8GB of RAM. I don't think XP 64 was using all of it; it could see it all but would use only about 2 GB.

My first impressions of 7 are quite good. 7 is what Vista should have been.

Free said:
NoMoreSilence said:
I still have the default background on the Vista machine. lol They kept the gadgets and the Start Menu layout. What is different is the Taskbar. Instead of a tab, there are only icons for each program you have open and each icon can represent one or more instances of that program. For instance, if you are using Windows Explorer and you have more than one window open, only one icon will show but if you click it, it will give you the option of which one you want to see. I think that MS took a page out of the Apple book for 7.

The calculator is better. lol There is the basic and scientific, but also two others--statistical and programming. On top of that, you can have an extension on the calculator for things like unit conversion, mortgage calculator, or mileage converter.

I know there is more but since I use it for work, I haven't had a lot of time to actually play around and figure out everything that is new. It does seem to better use the 8GB of RAM. I don't think XP 64 was using all of it; it could see it all but would use only about 2 GB.

My first impressions of 7 are quite good. 7 is what Vista should have been.

Hmm okay. Yeah the icon thing is a bit annoying for me, but I'll get used to it when I upgrade. Did they keep the dreamscene package? Or did they throw it away?

This is not a joke. Ubuntu Linux told me that I needed 351 updates. It took two and a half hours, and now I can, uh, uhm, oh yeah, I can download more wallpapers with penguins than you Windows users can.

Free said:
I'm not sure. I don't know what dreamscene is.

The ability to set a .wmv or .mpg movie as your desktop background. I have it with with my Vista ultimate, and I'm sure it comes standard with all versions of 7 (except Home Basic)

Intel®
Intel Coreâ„¢2 Duo
Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 32-Bit

FreeDOSTM operating systems
Chipset
Intel® G45 Express Chipset
Memory
Up to 4GB1 800 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM2
Two (2) DIMM connectors slots
Primary Storage
Up to 2 hard drives (maximum 2TB3 with two 1TB3 hard drives)
Size 160GB3 7200 RPM hard drive
All hard drives have 3.0Gb/s interface, DataBurstTM cache and utilize NCQ (Native Command Queing)
Optional two hard disk configurations with DataSafeâ„¢ Secured Storage and Data Recovery Solutions
User configurable RAID 0, 1 supported through Intel® Matrix Storage Technology (requires two hard drives)
Optical Drives
16X DVD-ROM Drive

All write drives include Roxio Creator 9.0 DE
Graphics
Integrated:
Intel® GMA X4500HD

Discrete Graphics options from ATI:
256MB ATI RadeonTM HD 3450 (DVI, HDMI) - Low Profile
Connectivity
Integrated:
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN on system board

Optional:
56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Dell 1505 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Bluetooth® 2.0 wireless technology with Media Card Reader
Standard I/O Ports
Video: 1 15-pin VGA video connector
USB: 6 USB Ports (2 front, 4 back)
Audio: Three back-panel connectors for line-in, line-out, microphone-in, two front-panel connectors for headphone-output and microphone-in
Other: 1 Serial, 2 PS/2 for Keyboard and Mouse, 1 RJ-45 10/100/1000, IEEE 1394a connector available on front panel with optional add-in card, 56k PCI Data Fax Modem (optional)
Multimedia
Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio HD
Security
McAfee® Total Protection for Small Business (up to 3 year subscription)
Norton Internet SecurityTM (up to 3 year subscription)
Physical security: Cable lock chassis security slot
Expansion Slots
PCI: 2 Slots (Low Profile)
PCIe x1: 1 Slot (Low Profile)
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slot (Low Profile)

3.5" Bays: 3 bays (one external; two internal)
5.25" Bays: 1 bay
Memory DIMM slots: 2 available

Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
External USB Floppy Disk Drive
Chassis
Weight & Dimensions:
Height: 13.95" (354mm)
Width: 3.94" (100mm)
Depth: 16.3" (415mm)
Weight: 17.6lbs (7.98 kg)
Power
Power Supply:
250W, 115/230VAC (Equipped with Selector Switch) 50/60Hz
Regulatory and Environmental Compliance
Regulatory Model: DCSCSF
Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
Dell and the Environment

Two hours, and I am finally able to download programs onto Linux. You have to go to Add/Remove Programs, and it gives you lists of programs that you can download. So I downloaded a bunch, and yawn, well, they're really no better than WIndows, yawn, and the games are about as advanced as DOS games, and, yawn...

It is possible to have an entire operating system that is "cloud," and some exist right now. People have a hard time grasping the idea, so let me explain:

1)The entire operating system is stored on the internet, not on your hard drive. You can have a shortcut to it, but that's all.
2) You cannot get a virus, because it is not on your computer.
3) You cannot install software on it.
4) You can only install shortcuts to cloud software on it.
5) Best of all, you don't have to install it. You simply register and use your password.

TOMORROW! YOU TOO CAN GET ON THE CLOUD!

I'd been using Windows 7 RC, but seeing as how I have 3 days before it starts shutting down on me every two hours, I've spent the last week or so trying to get Linux running.

Finally, last night, I got PCLinuxOS 2009.2 installed and running on my PC. Turns out, after a week or so of trying every possible install scenario, a PCI IDE card I had installed was screwin up the installer and crashing it every time. Removed the card and voila! flawless install... :lol

What programs I use? Not much, since I don't have the internet at my home any more. Typically just whatever's available for playin some music, watching videos, and making documents or whatever. I used to be a big PC gamer, but I rarely play anymore.

I'd like to get a Bible program for Linux though. Anyone know any good ones?

Desktop:
Windows XP Home Edition
MS Office 2003

Notebook:
Windows Vista Business 32-bit
MS Office 2003 (soon will upgrade to 2007 Enterprise)

Browsers:
IE 8
FF 3.5
Chrome
Safari 4 (i think)
Opera

Programs most frequently used:
MS Office (mostly Word, Access and OneNote)
FileZilla FTP Client
XAMPP
Internet Browsers
Adobe CS4 Web Design Premium
MS Hearts :biggrin
Windows Explorer (yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :lol)

Vince said:
Two hours, and I am finally able to download programs onto Linux. You have to go to Add/Remove Programs, and it gives you lists of programs that you can download. So I downloaded a bunch, and yawn, well, they're really no better than WIndows, yawn, and the games are about as advanced as DOS games, and, yawn...
Yeah, if you downloaded an older distro, it may require many updates. But for the most part, Linux updates don't require reboots. Plus, Vince, it's not a gamer's OS. Also Vince, I find it best to use the Synaptic Package Manager under Administration for installing apps. Oh, most Linux apps can do more things than their Windows counterpart. There are lots of command line functions you can run that you just can't do under Windows.

Open Source, baby! :lol

Tony, try E-Sword. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=372359&page=6 There's other too and you can search for them using the Synaptic Package Manager. Also, keep in mind, if you are using the GNOME desktop, some KDE Bible apps will run just fine. :yes

My Ubuntu setup:

Firefox, Thunderbird. Open Office, Audacity, Gimp, F-Spot plus a whole host of other apps I use occasionally. I also have Wine installed, for those old Windows apps I like, like my ol' trusty Quick Verse.

2.4 dual core w/ 2 GB memory and more HD space than I'll ever need! :lol

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back