Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Part 1. Protestant tradition.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stranger

Parts 2 and 3 to follow. . .

The purpose of this OP is to test what Protestants actually believe about their own 'tradition'.

Catholics hold to both 'scripture and tradition' as authoritative in matters of doctrine. Can the same be said about Protestants? That is, are Protestant doctrines derived from both 'their tradition and scripture' despite claims to the contrary?

Finally, if the above is true to any degree why don't Protestants admit it?

stranger said:
Perhaps those who call themselves 'Protestant.'

Ah - OK. If I call myself a Protestant then what do you say I believe? See, my definition of a Protestant may not concur with yours.

mutzrein said:
Ah - OK. If I call myself a Protestant then what do you say I believe? See, my definition of a Protestant may not concur with yours.

And our definition may not concur with others - but there should be some common ground also (!?)

- the person calls himself a protestant
- agrees in principle in 'scripture alone'
- expresses some affinity with the protestant tradition or cause

stranger said:
Catholics hold to both 'scripture and tradition' as authoritative in matters of doctrine. Can the same be said about Protestants? That is, are Protestant doctrines derived from both 'their tradition and scripture' despite claims to the contrary?

To clarify, Catholics hold to two tiers of "tradition". The first, Apostolic Tradition, is considered unchangable, taught by the Apostles themselves. These particular teachings do not make themselves explicitly obvious in Scriptures, for example, the teachings of the Trinity. Secondly, there are "traditions", also called disciplines, which are changeable. For example, whether we kneel or stand during the Eucharistic Prayer, the prayers we say as part of the rosary, or whether we eat meat on Friday or not. These are all changable "traditions".

Protestants also hold to this two-tier system. The first would be their "unchangeable traditions", their interpretation of Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide, both of which are interpretations of Scriptures not clearly noted (such as Trinity). The second tier would be the changeable traditions of individual denominations, such as how they proclaim the word during their Sunday celebrations, and so forth.

stranger said:
Finally, if the above is true to any degree why don't Protestants admit it?

I think most Protestants think "Tradition" is a bad word - and it goes against the mentality of "Sola Scriptura", although that idea itself is a "Tradition".

Regards

Well I'm neither, I'm not Orthodox, at all. And francisdesales answer sounds like a Catholic trying to act Protestant. Whatever Traditions Protestants had they vanished soon after the reformation. If you claim these things as tradition, you might as well claim denominationalizing churches is tradition. But, Catholics who are supposedly unified have more traditions than the rest! Anytime a native tribe was brought in to the RCC, they didn't care if old native traditions were interwoven with there brand of christianity! From Africa, to Haiti, to the orient or South America theres a mix of "voodoo" and Roman Catholicism. The RCC doesn't care, as long as Peter gets his due! This is why, Luther Nailed 95 thesis' to the Vatican Doors! This is why Thanksgiving could be called a Protestant Tradition. But, its nothing more than being grateful to God for his provisions! Oh, By the way, I was raised a Southern Baptist, My Mother was a Luthern, but I pretty much speakand talk for me self, thats why god gave us brains and a conscious.

ÃÂoppleganger said:
And francisdesales answer sounds like a Catholic trying to act Protestant.

:tongue

ÃÂoppleganger said:
Whatever Traditions Protestants had they vanished soon after the reformation.

Like Sola Scriptura? That's vanished? That's news to me.

ÃÂoppleganger said:
Oh, By the way, I was raised a Southern Baptist, My Mother was a Luthern, but I pretty much speakand talk for me self, thats why god gave us brains and a conscious.

Wonderful. I as a Catholic also use my brains and my conscious, so I don't really know what you are trying to say here.

Regards

stranger said:
And our definition may not concur with others - but there should be some common ground also (!?)

- the person calls himself a protestant
- agrees in principle in 'scripture alone'
- expresses some affinity with the protestant tradition or cause

I don't really call myself a protestant. I'm not a catholic either - just one who has been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and who loves the Lord.

'scripture alone'? What does that mean? That God doesn't talk to man by any other means?

And I'm not sure what protestant tradition or cause is. Can you enlighten me perhaps?

Sorry, if i was a little blunt. Maybe I should put a different attitude on! I'm sorry. But I don't even know what sola scripture is? I've seen it mentioned, here before. I'm assuming it's, the scripture is the only word of God and thats all we need, or sumthin to that effect, I guess. Wierd name tho. Tradition can be a good thing, as long as it doesn't change your relationship with Christ. Yes, Catholic's have a brain, a concious and feelings also.

mutzrein said:
I don't really call myself a protestant. I'm not a catholic either - just one who has been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb and who loves the Lord.

'scripture alone'? What does that mean? That God doesn't talk to man by any other means?

And I'm not sure what protestant tradition or cause is. Can you enlighten me perhaps?

Being a protestant doesn't preclude anyone from being redeemed by the blood of the Lamb nor loving the Lord. Likewise it doesn't guanrantee it either. While you may not be a protestant nor a catholic (nor orthodox nor coptic or any other group that has some form of self indentification) it simply means you are outside these streams, churches, denominations or movements where like minded Christians meet together for worship, fellowship and instruction. There is a large number of what has been called unchurched Chrisitians who are simply meeting in homes for similar reasons. Perhaps you identify yourself this way perhaps you don't, the onnus is on you if you want to be known and to know others- throw me a bone.

A tradition simply means the transmission of customs, beliefs or doctrines from generation to generation or group to a person etc. 'Protestant tradition' is simply another general generic term - if you want to discuss what these are - you have to be specific and identify whom you want to talk about - eg Southern Baptist.

It is good that you are asking me to define terms - by scripture alone I simply mean the rule or authority for doctrine and practice. I also believe that it is primary resposibilty of the church to interpret scripture and when this is done the 'Spirit and the Letter agree'. So less stress is placed upon the individual and more upon the body.

Sola Scriptura (sp?) is Latin for Scriptures Only. It is one of three Solas from the Reformation.

It refers to the idea that Scripture alone is the revealed Word of God. And that one only needs to read the Scripture alone to for understanding of God and salvation.

Though I am sure there are others on here that can explain it better than I.

You could say that it is the pillars of Reformed theology.

The problem with traditions is that they can take the place of Scripture, and the longer the tradition goes, the farther it gets from the Bible.

While traditions are nice, if we forget the foundation of the tradition, then the tradition is useless.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back