Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Paul appeals to Caeser! Acts 25

I would like to focus this thread primarily on Paul's appeal to Caesar in Acts 25 and commission to Rome.
First the relevant passages:

YLT) Acts 25:
6 and having tarried among them more than ten days, having gone down to Caesarea, on the morrow having sat upon the tribunal, he commanded Paul to be brought; 7 and he having come, there stood round about the Jews who have come down from Jerusalem — many and weighty charges they are bringing against Paul, which they were not able to prove, 8 he making defence — ‘Neither in regard to the law of the Jews, nor in regard to the temple, nor in regard to Caesar — did I commit any sin.’ 9 And Festus willing to lay on the Jews a favour, answering Paul, said, ‘Art thou willing, to Jerusalem having gone up, there concerning these things to be judged before me?’
10 and Paul said, ‘At the tribunal of Caesar I am standing, where it behoveth me to be judged; to Jews I did no unrighteousness, as thou dost also very well know; 11 for if indeed I am unrighteous, and anything worthy of death have done, I deprecate not to die; and if there is none of the things of which these accuse me, no one is able to make a favour of me to them; to Caesar I appeal!12 then Festus, having communed with the council, answered, ‘To Caesar thou hast appealed; to Caesar thou shalt go.’
======
Paul refers to it in this verse:

Act 28:
16 Now when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard; but Paul was permitted to dwell by himself with the soldier who guarded him. 18 “who, when they had examined me, wanted to let me go, because there was no cause for putting me to death.
19 “But whe
n the Jews[fn] spoke against it, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar, not that I had anything of which to accuse my nation.
=====================
This verse is about his future commission to Rome after being rejected by the Jews in Jerusalem:

Act 23:11 But the following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Be of good cheer, Paul; for as you have testified for Me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness at Rome.
=====================
For info, the city of Rome is only mentioned in 9 verses of the Christian NT [6 of those in Acts]

"rome" occurs 9 times in 9 verses
=================
to be continued

1602972840119.png

Last edited:
God can use any circumstances and situations to lead us into his direction. When Paul appealed to Caesar it was to get him out of jail (so to speak) and away from the hands of the Jews. However, it was already in God's plan for Paul to stand before Caesar and his council to testify for him. For a Christian, who is committed to following God's plan and direction, there will always be situations that will throw them into the path laid out for them. This may not be obvious in the beginning but God will eventually reveal his plans.

Actually it would be better to read all of Acts 25 to get the full context of what is being taught. We have to also remember that Paul was a Roman citizen not under the judiciary authority of the Jewish counsel in Jerusalem as this is why Paul Appeals to Caesar as Paul had no sin the Jews were accusing him off having.

Just as the Jews wanted to lay wait to kill Paul as he always faced persecutions, so are they who wait to kill all who are anointed and sealed by the Holy Spirit that God calls into the world to preach the gospel of His grace to all who will have ears to hear and receive Hs word with thanksgiving in their hearts.

Actually it would be better to read all of Acts 25 to get the full context of what is being taught. We have to also remember that Paul was a Roman citizen not under the judiciary authority of the Jewish counsel in Jerusalem as this is why Paul Appeals to Caesar as Paul had no sin the Jews were accusing him off having.

Just as the Jews wanted to lay wait to kill Paul as he always faced persecutions, so are they who wait to kill all who are anointed and sealed by the Holy Spirit that God calls into the world to preach the gospel of His grace to all who will have ears to hear and receive Hs word with thanksgiving in their hearts.
That was the only time Paul appealed to Caesar but I do not think that was the first and last time he was dragged before council in another country, other than Rome. Paul was not afraid of persecution otherwise he would not have gone to Jerusalem after being warned by prophet Agabus of what awaited him.

The question still remains why did Paul appeal to Caesar if not because of the Jews who wanted to kill him?

The question still remains why did Paul appeal to Caesar if not because of the Jews who wanted to kill him?
I think the gist of it was Paul didn't want a trial in Jerusalem as He knew with certainty how that would end. So He appealed to Caesar out of no other choice.

Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, said to Paul, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and stand trial before me there on these charges?”

Back