Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Paul returned to the Church of Jerusalem

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Malachi 1:2

2 “I have loved you,” says the LORD.
“But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’
“Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the LORD. “Yet I have loved Jacob, 3 but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.”

"and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals."

Does scripture tell us why God hated Esau?
Did God know something about Esau?

Malachi 1:2

2 “I have loved you,” says the LORD.
“But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’
“Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the LORD. “Yet I have loved Jacob, 3 but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.”

"and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals."

Does scripture tell us why God hated Esau?
Did God know something about Esau?

appreciate the question:

Roman 9:19-13
10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or badin order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

appreciate the question:

Roman 9:19-13
10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

And I appreciate your reply.
I do know this scripture but what does it mean "God's purpose in election"? Do you have an understanding about this election other than it was just a random choice? Because it seems that there was a pattern that God followed in His choosing. I think it had to do with faith like Abraham's.
What do you think about God's statement of "the older shall service the younger"?

“God's purpose in election”

God has a purpose, the elect are God’s Children.

When we elect someone for office, we chose the individual.

God’s elect is self explanatory. God elected them.

“The older will serve the younger” is God’s will for His purpose, I except it for what it is; it is His Will.

The problem begins when we start to fill in the blanks, we start to assume God means this or God means that.

If these assumptions are explained purely or mostly with scripture, I can accept it.

When we start to interject opinion mixed with scripture to try to make the Bible easier to understand, there is a potential to sway the meaning, watering down the purity of the Word.

Here are good example of passages inquestion:

Ephesians 1:4, 5

NIV
4 For He chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, inaccordance with His pleasure and will

KJV:
4 According as He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will

Romans 8:28

NIV
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the first born among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

KJV

28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
29For whom he did fore know, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image ofhis Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

There are words in these passages that stir up opinions and arguments.I except these passages exactly the way it is written and believe in every Word. Please don’t ask me to point out words in question. I would rather not get into this type of discussion.

Blessing

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don’t ask me to point out words in question. I would rather not get into this type of discussion.

I'd agree and suggest that instead of continuing this line of discussion we would do well to return to the original topic. Tangents are okay but sticking to the topic is preferred. I don't think anybody "derailed" this thread yet and would like to hear more.

“The older will serve the younger” is God’s will for His purpose, I except it for what it is; it is His Will.

This refers to the nation of Israel in election, for the purpose of bring forth The Messiah.

JLB

It was clearly not the Lord's will for him to go to Jerusalem.

They said the Lord's will be done, meaning they delivered God's will to Paul and now they are innocent of the consequences Paul has to pay for his choice,

Paul was not to Go to Jerusalem. This was a mistake on Pauls part. Paul acted out of his EMOTIONS and not out of the will of God. And Paul was even warned that He would Go to Prison for His mistake.

Very interesting, Thank you all, I never knew this. :)

I guess do what God says do, always.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back