Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Prayer for employment

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I know in this economy lots of people are suffering. My story is a little different, but the situation (unemployment) is the same.

I started having mental problems when I was 16. When I was 17, I went off to college and the problems got worse. I dropped out of college at 19. From 19-to-23 I was often either unemployed (and dependent on my parents, who are luckily able and willing to help/support me) or under-employed (and still dependent on my parents), largely because of my madness and also because I had a terrible reputation in my small town as the town crazy/drug-fiend/homosexual.

At 23 I went back to college (still unemployed) and proceeded to have a nervous break down ("manic episode") that resulted in hospitalization. I came home, couldn't find a job for the life of me, went crazy, ended up in jail then in a Christian rehab center.

The Christian rehab was great. They had contracts with employers, so I had a job and I was reasonably good at it. After rehab, I couldn't get a job b/c I had to do a bunch of stuff (counseling, etc.) to get my arrest record expunged (for the longest time, I couldn't even get a license in my new state). Now my record has been expunged for a couple months and...I still can't find work.

I'm volunteering at a hospice and I hope to take Certified Nursing Assistant classes next quarter and then get into the local nursing (LPN) program. I feel so terrible; I'm reasonably intelligent, I'm being treated for my mental issues, and I'm still dependent on my (unbelievably supportive) parents. I really don't want to live this way.

I guess my problems aren't quite as bad as other people's--I mean, I don't have to worry about having utilities cut off or getting evicted. Still, a job would mean finally achieving independence and becoming a productive member of society.

So please, pray for me. And if you have any input on what I should do between now and when I have my CNA (its a 2-quarter program), please offer 'em up.

Thanks.

Prayers for your success, christ_empowered! :pray
It is always good to help those less fortunate. One may be more fortunate than another one who is ill & must lie in a bed depending on their physical daily care from others, if you understand what I mean.

And there is no reason for a child of God not to defeat the devil. All that negative thinking is worthless. The thief only came to steal & destroy- don't let that influence you from deserving anything but the best God has promised His servants!
Look to Jesus, the author & finisher of your faith :pray
2 Timothy 1:7

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

God Bless you real good!

I know in this economy lots of people are suffering. My story is a little different, but the situation (unemployment) is the same.

I started having mental problems when I was 16. When I was 17, I went off to college and the problems got worse. I dropped out of college at 19. From 19-to-23 I was often either unemployed (and dependent on my parents, who are luckily able and willing to help/support me) or under-employed (and still dependent on my parents), largely because of my madness and also because I had a terrible reputation in my small town as the town crazy/drug-fiend/homosexual.

At 23 I went back to college (still unemployed) and proceeded to have a nervous break down ("manic episode") that resulted in hospitalization. I came home, couldn't find a job for the life of me, went crazy, ended up in jail then in a Christian rehab center.

The Christian rehab was great. They had contracts with employers, so I had a job and I was reasonably good at it. After rehab, I couldn't get a job b/c I had to do a bunch of stuff (counseling, etc.) to get my arrest record expunged (for the longest time, I couldn't even get a license in my new state). Now my record has been expunged for a couple months and...I still can't find work.

I'm volunteering at a hospice and I hope to take Certified Nursing Assistant classes next quarter and then get into the local nursing (LPN) program. I feel so terrible; I'm reasonably intelligent, I'm being treated for my mental issues, and I'm still dependent on my (unbelievably supportive) parents. I really don't want to live this way.

I guess my problems aren't quite as bad as other people's--I mean, I don't have to worry about having utilities cut off or getting evicted. Still, a job would mean finally achieving independence and becoming a productive member of society.

So please, pray for me. And if you have any input on what I should do between now and when I have my CNA (its a 2-quarter program), please offer 'em up.

Thanks.
Input about what could be done between now and when you get certified? Study hard, my friend. Count your blessings and maybe expand your social network. Do you still have friends at the Christian rehab you mentioned? Drop them a note and let them know how you're doing. They might not have a job so don't ask them for one but everybody likes to help. Ask them for something they do have. Like you have here: Ask them for advice.

That might lead to expanding your contacts and that could bring you to the path you seek. In the meantime, yes - we will be praying and will encourage you to continue in your newly formed life, empowered by Christ. It sounds to me like God has acted to turn the tide in your life. That the events that troubled you are receeding into the past and the events that are your blessing are rising. Is this maybe the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
hey everyone. Sorry to have posted a (hopefully brief) account of my life story, but I just wanted to put everything into context. Its hard to find a job largely because I have such huge gaps in my work history. If I'd been medicated and/or less sinful, I would've been able to keep a job longer and now I'd have less of a problem finding employment.

I appreciate all the input. A lot of the people I was in rehab with seem to have relapsed/fallen, so I kind of avoid contact. Is that bad? I mean, I know we're supposed to "go the extra mile," but I don't know that hanging out with drug users and people who drink heavily is what I want to do right now. Or am I being too judgmental?

I am quite fortunate. Volunteering at the hospice will help me meet people, and eventually maybe help me find a lead on a job. If nothing else, the experience will provide much-needed experience for when I finally have my CNA, so then hopefully I'll be more competent in my job.

God really has turned the tide in my life. Although I do have legitimate mental health "issues," these were made worse by my life of sin and general godlessness. That's probably usually the case; I've heard it said that if your life is in shambles, at some point you turned your back on God and His plan for your life.

Thanks again.

hey everyone. Sorry to have posted a (hopefully brief) account of my life story, but I just wanted to put everything into context. Its hard to find a job largely because I have such huge gaps in my work history. If I'd been medicated and/or less sinful, I would've been able to keep a job longer and now I'd have less of a problem finding employment.

I appreciate all the input. A lot of the people I was in rehab with seem to have relapsed/fallen, so I kind of avoid contact. Is that bad? I mean, I know we're supposed to "go the extra mile," but I don't know that hanging out with drug users and people who drink heavily is what I want to do right now. Or am I being too judgmental?

I am quite fortunate. Volunteering at the hospice will help me meet people, and eventually maybe help me find a lead on a job. If nothing else, the experience will provide much-needed experience for when I finally have my CNA, so then hopefully I'll be more competent in my job.

God really has turned the tide in my life. Although I do have legitimate mental health "issues," these were made worse by my life of sin and general godlessness. That's probably usually the case; I've heard it said that if your life is in shambles, at some point you turned your back on God and His plan for your life.

Thanks again.

No, it`s not bad to avoid contact, in fact it is very wise. The Bible tells us in many ways to stay out of tempting situations and to stay away from people that can potentially pull us down morally or spiritually. So if the people want to find God, let them come to you and communicate on your grounds of Godly conversation and encouragement but don`t go to their grounds. Their grounds are very dangerous especially for you. You are moving forward so don`t let anything get in your way of that.

As for what to do between now and your CPN, I think as long as you have your parents support, it might be wise just to concentrate on studying. If you work and study it may become too stressful for you, but if you want to help with some of the bills you might be able to get a part time job perhaps at a nursing home?

I am really wishing you well. You seem to have quite a journey, but God is with you and He will see you through!!!

No, it`s not bad to avoid contact, in fact it is very wise. The Bible tells us in many ways to stay out of tempting situations and to stay away from people that can potentially pull us down morally or spiritually. So if the people want to find God, let them come to you and communicate on your grounds of Godly conversation and encouragement but don`t go to their grounds. Their grounds are very dangerous especially for you. You are moving forward so don`t let anything get in your way of that.

As for what to do between now and your CPN, I think as long as you have your parents support, it might be wise just to concentrate on studying. If you work and study it may become too stressful for you, but if you want to help with some of the bills you might be able to get a part time job perhaps at a nursing home?

I am really wishing you well. You seem to have quite a journey, but God is with you and He will see you through!!!
Sounds like good advice to me...

A little more than 20 years ago (yep, I'm old kinda) I was facing jail for my unrighteousness (violence). My best friend who was a Christian sought the Lord in prayer and was given an assurance in his spirit that I would be okay. The way that he said it to me was, "I'm not worried, the Lord is with you."

Jail isn't fun but the Lord was with me. I could tell stories about those 5 months (and have) but the significant thing that stays with me today is that the Lord kept His promise, "I will never leave nor forsake you." That promise sees me through the troubled times that come my way. It's like my boss said a couple years after jail -- "Yeah, that's a difficult situation," --I had been faced with numerous problems one after another from the start of the year and it was March of the new year and it didn't look like it was going to get any better soon. Then my boss added something to his assessment: "But for you, this is a good year!"

I thought about that. True enough. For me, the problems and all -- it was a good year (comparatively). The Lord will see you through the trials and on the other side of them it is my prayer that you too will be strengthened to face things head on having learned to lean on Him in all things. Trials teach us how to live. We learn to lean on the promises of God. I found that the first chapter of James became one of my favorite parts of the Word of God because of the experiences that brought me to a place where the Word was alive for me.

Let also this be for you, my friend. I'm happy to hear about the walk you share with the Lord.

hey. Thanks for the input. I think I'll continue to avoid the people I went to rehab with. And Sparrowhawke, your post made a lot of sense to me. In my own life, I've found that God has used a lot of what has happened to me (and that I've done to myself) to kind of "toughen me up" when it comes to dealing with challenges I face now that I'm a Christian. If I hadn't turned it over to God, I'd probably have grown bitter and despondent over the problems I had (both those created by me and those that we all face), and I'd be in a much worse situation.

Back