Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Prayer Need

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

handy

My husband, Steve, caught the 'flu that I had over the weekend. It's a really bad one and it lasts a good 3-4 days. Today is the first day that I was truly feeling OK, and I came down with it last week.

Apart from just not wanting him to go through this, I'm concerned that he won't be able to keep his anti-seizure medications down. When I had this, I was unable to even keep a swallow or two of water down for a period of over 6 hours. Steve is epiletic and it's really important that he takes his meds regularly. Also, high fever, which he currently has, also can be problematical for epiletics as well.

I'll be praying for him Dora, that he has no seizures and that he is able to keep his medication down. I know - you know all about giving him fluids & that kind of thing- however I am a firm believer in keeping the immune system boosted- with Vit. c, whether tabs or fruits & veggies or both. I believe that helps prevent the flu, colds, etc. Hope it works for you too!!

Rosalee Decker
This is the Day that the Lord has made; we shall rejoice & be glad in it

Thanks Rosalie. Steve made it through the night without seizures and without vomiting. The fever responded well to the Tylanol and I even woke him up to give it to him at regular intervals in order to keep it down. I didn't sleep much last night, but he was able to really rest and is feeling so much better he is planning on working tomorrow.

I'm big on the vitamins too. We use these vitamins called Emergin-C. You disolve a packet in water and drink them. I think they work great and we tend to stay pretty healthy. But, this flu is really going around and with all that's been going on, I succumbed, then gave it to Steve. Share and share alike, right!

yep, that's right. I'm so glad that you're both feeling so much better!!( Thank you Jesus!!)
Hopefully that will be the last of the flu.

Rosalee Decker

I need to update. Steve still isn't over this. He thought he was, but then a week after he first came down with symptoms, on the 30th, he started getting really sick.

This time, he's had several seizures, and dizzyness that simply wont go away. We've gone to the doctor's, but he's not responding to any of the meds that they have him on. Complicating things is the fact that he's the family breadwinner, and, if he doesn't work, he doesn't get paid. The company's paid 'time-off' policies are a joke. We are on day 4 without pay and tomorrow will be day 5. I'm not at all worried about money, because I know that God will provide, He always does. What I am worried about is the fact that Steve is really stressing over staying off work and this stress is adding to the concerns about seizures.

He's going to go back to the doctors tomorrow. Hopefully, they can find out what is really going on and start getting him over this. One thing I'll admit has me a bit worried is the fact that on the 29th, the day before 'round two' he was bit by several mosquitoes (I didn't know of this before last night), and we live deep in West Nile country. I've known about 6 folks who've had West Nile, one of whom will never fully recover. I don't think that he has the real serious type, because he'd be in ICU. However, the others, who had the 'less serious' version, were sick for about 3-6 weeks. And, unfortunately, his symptoms do match up. However, it could be the 'flu. I don't know.

Oh my gosh, Dora- I was hoping he was over that. Hopefully Dr's can get his seizures under control, and prayerfully hope he doesn't have any of the West Nile disease. My aunt lives in Kamiah, Idaho-it's such beautiful country. Keeping you & him in my thoughts and prayers for healing and a good diagnosis. Keep us posted please.

Rosalee Decker

We got him to the doctors today and they did test him for West Nile. Apparently the doctor agrees that it may very well be WN. However, he did a full battery of tests so hopefully we'll know for sure within the next couple of days what we're dealing with.

It's getting really bad. He actually had to use a cane today as he was going to the doctors and the hospital for the tests.

Oh I am so sorry, Dora. What can they do for him if he has wn? How do they treat it?. Definately keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.I'd so hoped for a different out come. Please keep us posted.

Rosalee Decker

Any news yet Dora? Hoping things are getting better.

Rosalee Decker

Steve is beginning to feel better. The doctor gave him a patch, the kind they use for sea-sickness and he isn't so dizzy, nor has he had any fevers or seizures. He still has a headache, but it's not quite as severe. Now my biggest problem is that he wants to go back to work. The doctor wrote out an excuse note requesting that he stay home pending test results, and we still don't have any results. I'm encouraging him to stay home again today. If on Monday, the headache is completely gone and he's not experiencing any dizzyness without the patch, then I could see him going back to work. His job is very stressful and he has a 1 1/2 hour commute just to get there. I really don't feel all that comfortable with the idea of his driving yet.

Well, That's some excellant news this morning. Happy to hear that the Dr's are getting things under control for him. Yeah, you know guys- they hate to sit around and be idle, would much rather be working than anything. Praise God

Rosalee Decker

The news from the tests wasn't good. :sad

It turns out there are some serious issues with his liver. He needs to go in for more testing next week, and then we will have to consult with both the MD and the neurologist so that we can come up with a way to control the seizures without hurting the liver any further.

All in all, he is feeling much better and other than taking some time to do the tests and talk with doctors, he is planning on returning to work next Monday. I'm sure that this is a direct result of the prayers and I do praise God for both His healing and for the support of our family in the Lord who are upholding us during this time.

I'm happy to hear that he's feeling better, and also sad to hear of his health problem with his liver. Let's Hope & pray that this to can be brought under control and treated.Glad they found this now rather than later.

Rosalee Decker

We are still undergoing various doctor visits and tests. Steve has had several seizures again, but it's hard to say whether it's due to the liver dysfunction or the stress. We have an appointment with a neurologist, but it's not until mid-June. However, he is first on a waiting list if there are any cancellations, in which case we can see him sooner.

I sure pray for him, the seizures are worrying that's for sure. Is he on a liver transplant list? Hoping that all goes well with the neurologist and praying that his seizures lesson.
Thank you Dora for keeping us posted. God Bless you.
Rosalee Decker

We're nowhere near the idea of transplants yet. We still arent exactly sure what is going on.

However, one thing is certain, Steve is sick yet again and missed another day of work. I think (don't know for sure though) that the liver dysfunction is causing his immunities to be low and he simply cannot get over this flu. He'll go OK for a few days, then all the symptoms come right back again. We have him on another round of antibiotics, hopefully he can get over the flu once and for all. Meanwhile, we're still waiting to get into the neurologist, so that we can start searching for seizure medications that won't harm the liver.

That sounds wonderful Dora, that things are looking up for him. You might ask your Dr. about liver transplants though- even if it's just to have the information handy . Hopefully he'll be able to help you with the correct medication this time round. Keep us posted please. Hope you get into see a neurologist soon.

Rosalee Decker
This is the Day that the Lord has made; we shall rejoice and be glad in it

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back