Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Praying in the Holy Spirit

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage. But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit. But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. Jude 16-21

• building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God,

Praying “in” or “with” or “according to” the Holy Spirit.

The word building means just what it says, to edify, build up.

I use the word develop; we build up or develop our inner man.

Praying in the Spirit.

Praying in the Spirit must be different than just “praying”.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:14-15

• if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,

I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding.

This refers to praying with all prayer; ie all manner of prayer.

praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— Ephesians 6:18

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

• the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought

As I pray in English, I am praying with understanding but I’m limited, so the Spirit will begin to help me and I will shift into praying in (from; according to) the Spirit.
Praying with my prayer language.

• if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays,

If a person speaks a prophecy, a word from the Spirit, they are speaking by the Spirit; Speaking from or with the help, inspiration and guidance of the Spirit.

The Spirit Who indeed knows all things and knows the mind and will of God beyond our own understanding.

again

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27

• the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought,

• Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Jesus desires to use us to pray for our families, our brothers and sisters in Christ, for our nation and the lost. He will pray through us even beyond what we understand if we are available, and yield to Him; yield to the Spirit in prayer.

Praying in the Holy Spirit.

JLB

Four important reasons to pray in tongues - Kenneth E. Hagin

1. Devotional Use
1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man
understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Paul is talking about the individual Spirit filled believer employing the use of tongues in his prayer life. Through speaking in tongues you can pray out the plan of God for your life by the power of the Holy Spirit.

2. Spiritual Edification
1 Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Tongues are also used as a means of Spiritual edification. The word edifieth means to build up. Speaking in tongues isn't mental edification, but Spiritual edification.

3. Worshiping God
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

For believers that are filled with the Holy Spirit, tongues are used in their worship and devotion to God.
This verse is concerning Cornelius and his household when they began to speak with tongues magnifying the Lord.
Speaking in tongues is a supernatural way to magnify God.

4. Doorway to the Supernatural
1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Speaking with tongues is the doorway into all the other Spiritual gifts. Some people want to experience all the gifts of the Spirit at once, but you have to go through the door to get into the supernatural. Also, it is as the Spirit of God wills, not as we will. In other words, you can't force or put on a manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.

The Bible teaches us to desire spiritual gifts, 1 Corinthians 14:1. The Bible also teaches us to earnestly covet the best gifts, 1 Corinthians 12:31. But remember that those words were written to people who already spoke in tongues. They weren't written to people who did not speak in tongues.

My question is, if the Holy Spirit is an other being, he is not God the Father and also not Jesus. Who is this third person god in me? Did Jesus lie to us that He will be with us and in us till the end of this world?

Let’s move this discussion to a thread that is dedicated to understanding the Holy Spirit.

Thanks JLB

Last edited:
Another point I would like to reiterate.

Praying in the Spirit is another way of saying —

Praying from the Spirit.

Praying by (the assistance of) the Spirit.

Examples of the Spirit communicating through a person;

Spirit led communication.

He said to them, “How then does David in the Spirit call Him ‘Lord,’ saying:
‘The LORD said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
Till I make Your enemies Your footstool” ’?
If David then calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his Son?

Matthew 22:43-45

You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. Matthew 10:18-20

The Spirit speaking through your spirit.

A closer look at “in the Spirit” —

Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 1 Corinthians 14:1-2 NKJV

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 14:1-2

So praying “in the Spirit” in another way of saying my spirit, praying “by the Spirit” or “from the Spirit”.

It involves my spirit, and the Holy Spirit, in harmony praying things that I don’t understand with my mind, but it also includes praying things from the Spirit that I do understand as well.

I find that praying in a tongue for a while tends to enhance my ability to be led by the Spirit, it tends to build up my spirit man, whereby my spirit man is more sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

Kinda like priming a pump.

For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
1 Corinthians 14:14-15

My Point:

”in the Spirit” simply means “by the Spirit”

There are more scriptures that speak to this “led by the Spirit” experience, where we are operating by the Spirit;

Where it is “you by the Spirit” accomplishing an objective.

JLB

Last edited:
Back