Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Praying in tongues?

ksmith

Im sorry every time a preacher starts speaking in tongues i just find it so fake. It feels like they are pretending. So im curious does anyone speak in tongues when no one is around? It makes me laugh and it seems so disingenuous. Could just be me idk. Im new to all of this, im trying.

Im sorry every time a preacher starts speaking in tongues i just find it so fake. It feels like they are pretending. So im curious does anyone speak in tongues when no one is around? It makes me laugh and it seems so disingenuous. Could just be me idk. Im new to all of this, im trying.

Why was this originally placed in "Godly Love"?

Seems like pure criticism.

Sorry, i dont know these forums very well. Not really meant to be critism but trying to see if it was authentic. Poorly worded question i suppose.

Speaking as a Pentecostal, possibly the biggest problem with the Pentecostal Movement in its current state is that many have divorced themselves from its true roots from over 100 years ago, when the foundation of it was extensive prayer and fasting. That's what produces the genuine gifts. But it got watered down in succeeding generations and because many no longer wanted to give themselves to these practices and the genuine WORK involved, they simply turned to faking the gifts instead, especially things like tongues.

That's why you are seeing what you are seeing. Just try to remember that what you are seeing on TV is not representative of the real thing. You could only find that if you were to attend services where they were moving in genuine gifts, and that can be somewhat hard to find these days because, like I said, most have tried to go the cheap and easy route, which as you say is indeed fake. It's a lot easier than devoting oneself to months and years on end of fasting and prayer until you see the real thing manifest.

Hi ksmith

Act 2:1-4; Romans 8:26; 1Corinthians 12:1-11; Chapter14 will help explain about praying in tongues.

Tongues is a Spiritual gift given by the Holy Spirit for things we do not know how to pray for as the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and also for lifting up and edifying the body of Christ within the assembling of the congregation in whom the Holy Spirit speaks through certain people and gives the interpretation for others to give.

There are many false givings and interpretations that I have seen many times on TV and in the Church that are given without the Holy Spirit.

1. Praying in tongues allows you to speak directly to God, 1 Corinthians 14:2

2. Praying in tongues keeps you in tune with the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:4

3. Praying in tongues strengthens your Spirit, 1 Corinthians 14:4

4. Praying in tongues allows you to pray even when you do not know what to pray, Romans 8:26

5. Praying in tongues is a weapon against the works of the enemy, Mark 16:15-18

We are to embrace it and relish the strength it adds to your Spiritual life.

The purpose of this gift was to glorify God and to preach/translate his word to people of the nations that have different languages. It came about because God’s favor had shifted from the Jewish system of worship to the newly established Christian Congregation.

Speaking in tongues had meaning and were understood in the first century. Is this what is being accomplished by those who claim an ability to speak in tongues today through outbursts of unintelligible sounds? Keep in mind that this same phenomenon is claimed to cover under occult/demonic influences. See Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 4:1; 2 Corinthians 11: 14, 15.

This gift fulfilled its intended purpose and ended with the deaths of the disciples.-1 Corinthians 13:8.

I pray in tongues.
I am strengthened by the knowledge of the Spirit's presence in me, when I hear the sounds.
Folks aren't supposed to speak in tongues publicly unless there is an interpreter of tongues present.
I will add, unless the tongues are the language of the people you are trying to address.

Last edited:
Back