Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Proof that the bible god changes

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The bible says god doesn't change. When god was angry at humans he flooded them. After the flood he became happier. God was angry, then he became happy. Key work "became". Becoming something is a form of change. Meaning god changed from one thing to another.

When he was angry, he was angrier than when he was happy. Anger is intrinsically different to happiness. As god changed his mood, he changed himself. U can't change ur mood without changing urself, because ur mood is you.
Hey All,Truth_is_powerful729292, the phrase "God became" never is used in the KJV. Please give us a reference where you see this. Also, anger is not intrinsically different. It is a human emotion we attribute to God so we (finite) can understand that which is not understandable; the infinite.

A parent gets angry when their does something that puts themselves in danger of injury. If your mom or dad saw you jumping off the roof, they would become angry. You would certainly get scolded, and probably punished. They are angry with you.

But from where does that anger come? It is out of their love for you. You cannot see that in the moment. All you see is anger. But with hindsight, you know the anger was out of love.

So anger and love can be present at the same time and are not a change within the overall nature of God. God is love does not change when He gets angry with us.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Truth
You have a very loose meaning for what change means.

You get happy.
You get sad.
Are you still you or did you become someone else?
You're the same person but you did change ... you're definition of change is too loose.

Change - To cause to be different.

When he was angry, he was angrier than when he was happy. Anger is intrinsically different to happiness. As god changed his mood, he changed himself. U can't change ur mood without changing urself, because ur mood is you.
The Divine nature cannot be increased; for whatsoever receives anything than what it had in itself before (i.e. love, worship), must necessarily receive it from another, because nothing can give to itself that which it hath not. But God cannot receive from another what he hath not already, because whatsoever other things possess is derived from him, and, therefore, contained in him, as the fountain contains the virtue in itself which it conveys to the streams; so that God cannot gain anything. Stephen Charnock The Existence and Attributes of God . Kindle Edition. Job 35:7 “If you are righteous, what do you give God, Or what does He receive from your hand? 8 “Your wickedness affects only a man such as you, And your righteousness affects only a son of man [but it cannot affect God, who is sovereign]”; Acts 17:25; Romans 11:34-35. See Aseity (independence) of God

Biblical references to God being "angry" or "happy" are anthropomorphisms.

Longer Diatribe by Vincent Cheung
Perhaps the reply is that all facts are simultaneously present to God, so that the insult that angers him is always happening "now" [God has no succession of moments]. But this would imply that God must be angry about this one insult throughout eternity, and not just when it happens. If so, then God's emotions would not offer us the kind of interactivity that proponents of divine emotions are after. In any case, suppose something happens that alleviates this anger. Of course, the only way is forgiveness through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. But since God knows Christ's sacrifice just as well as the man's insult, we are at a loss as to whether he is ever angry or not. The mental experiment results in absurdity, because the truth is that God is not like man. Isaiah 58:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

Then, if an action of mine can cause anger in God in a similar way that I can cause anger in a man, then this means that I can cause anger in God by my power. To the degree that he lacks self-control, he is helpless against my efforts to cause anger in him. Likewise, if an action of mine can produce joy in God in a similar way that I can produce joy in a man, then this means that I have the ability to produce joy in God at will. In this manner, I would exercise a significant measure of control over God. But this contradicts his sovereignty [independence] and immutability. (
Job 35:7-8a; Job 22:2-3; Romans 11:34-35; Isaiah 40:13; Acts 17:25, see Aseity (independence) of God)

The matter becomes much more complex when we take into account that he knows all the thoughts and actions of his creatures in all of history simultaneously. But it is enough to consider all the billions of people who anger him at any point in time, and the thousands or at least hundreds of people who please him at the same time. How is it possible for him to be angry with two billion people in a sense like man's anger and pleased with two hundred people, also in the human sense, at the same time? If the answer is that God's mind is immense, so that he is not subject to human limitations, then our point is also established.

The bible says god doesn't change.

In His essential nature, no, He doesn't change.

A cat remains a cat even though it chases a mouse in one moment and then starts licking its fur in another. Even when it hisses at a passing dog, or sits in its owner's lap purring, it's still the same cat it has always been. Changes in behavior and attitude don't at all affect the basic nature of the cat that distinguishes it as a cat. Likewise, all that defines God as God, all that constitutes His essential divine nature, remains constant though God acts in a variety of ways and adopts varying attitudes.

Meaning god changed from one thing to another.

Does a cat become a lizard when it flops down in a sunny spot on the carpet? Does a cat become a horse when it chews on a bit of grass? Does a cat become a pig when it eats a can of tuna in a mad frenzy? No, in all of these instances, the cat is always a cat, and always the same cat. So, too, with God. Though His actions may vary and His attitude change, He is still essentially the same Being He's always been.

As god changed his mood, he changed himself. U can't change ur mood without changing urself, because ur mood is you.

I have been intensely happy at times and intensely sad at others. But in both of these extremes of feeling I've always been me. When my wife observes me just out of bed and still in a state of sleepiness, she is observing me, not someone else; when she sees me an hour later, full of coffee and raring to go, she doesn't shriek in surprise and wonder who the strange man is in her kitchen, dressed in her husband's clothes. No, despite the changes in me over the hour, I remain still very much me and so my wife smiles and kisses me on the cheek instead of calling the police.

You're the same person but you did change ... you're definition of change is too loose.

If I'm said I'm still wondering.
If I'm happy I'm still wondering.

Wondering is more than a feeling.
We're a body that holds a soul
The soul makes us who we are.

Feelings, emotions, are a PART of who we are...
NOT WHO we are.

That goes much deeper....
It's
Personality
Character
Will
Conscience
Emotions

The mood we're in doesn't change who we are.

The bible says god doesn't change. When god was angry at humans he flooded them. After the flood he became happier. God was angry, then he became happy. Key work "became". Becoming something is a form of change. Meaning god changed from one thing to another.

Where does the Bible have a statement that He was happy. Never seen it.

NOT WHO we are.

It's
Personality
Character
Will
Conscience
Emotions

You're mixing apples and oranges again. The subject is by way of example: does a person go through change when he goes from cheerful to angry. The obvious answer is YES. You're most approachable when happy. You're more likely to strike out when angry. Etc. etc. Obviously, you're the same person by identity on a drivers license. A characteristic of people is they change: they change looks and yet same person by identity, they change opinions yet they are the same person by identity. The definition of change for a person is you are different than before and emotions is one of a myriad of changes people go thru. Unlike us, GOD is immutable so He does not change in any way. All of time is now in His eyes. He knows all things that will happen and did happen. If God could change then He would become better or worse in some way and thus not eternally perfect.

So then the other member is correct...
IF God is angry at times, but not at other times,
then it means that God DOES change...

You're mixing apples and oranges again. The subject is by way of example: does a person go through change when he goes from cheerful to angry.

What are the apples?
What are the oranges?
Please clarify.

I already said that MY MOOD could change,
but my IDENTITY, PERSON, remains the same.

The obvious answer is YES. You're most approachable when happy. You're more likely to strike out when angry. Etc. etc. Obviously, you're the same person by identity on a drivers license.

Correct.

A characteristic of people is they change: they change looks and yet same person by identity,

Correct.

they change opinions yet they are the same person by identity.

Correct.
See. We agree.

The definition of change for a person is you are different than before and emotions is one of a myriad of changes people go thru. Unlike us, GOD is immutable so He does not change in any way.

He sure does IF you're right and we change just because we get angry.

All of time is now in His eyes. He knows all things that will happen and did happen. If God could change then He would become better or worse in some way and thus not eternally perfect.
I never said God changes.
God is immutable.

So then the other member is correct...
IF God is angry at times, but not at other times,
then it means that God DOES change...
The member would be correct if his premises were correct, but they are not. God's mood doesn't change. God doesn't experience certain emotions and the ones He does experience (if He even does experience emotions) do not change. For example, since God knows all things He is never surprised. God is perfect so He could not experience angry or distress...these terms are anthropomorphic for our benefit). Look up impassibility of God for more ideas... https://www.gotquestions.org/impassibility-of-God.html

NOT WHO we are.

It's
Personality
Character
Will
Conscience
Emotions

Unless Ralph is near then it's Cynthia ,lol

The member would be correct if his premises were correct, but they are not. God's mood doesn't change. God doesn't experience certain emotions and the ones He does experience (if He even does experience emotions) do not change. For example, since God knows all things He is never surprised. God is perfect so He could not experience angry or distress...these terms are anthropomorphic for our benefit). Look up impassibility of God for more ideas... https://www.gotquestions.org/impassibility-of-God.html
Oh for goodness sake FF
I don't need to be reading QotQuestions.
I mean is this theology 101?

There is more joy in heaven when one sinner repents...
Luke 15:7

God got angry
Exodus 4:14

and more....of course it's antrhropomorphic, but in some way, God must surely react to what we do.
If He is NON-CARING than we have DEISM instead of THEISM.

If it's theism then we have a caring God and a caring God will have some type of emotions,,,,even if they're beyond our grasp.

Hey All,
Perhaps it is a person's definition of what "change" means that is not allowing them to accept the truth; that anger can be an expression of love.

Anger is an expression of love, if the anger is meant as a tool to correct an errant situation.
If your child was playing with an electrical socket, you might smack his/her hand away to get their hand out of danger. You slapped their hand out of love. Your child only sees the anger and feels the pain, and therefore concludes, errantly, that mom/dad is angry.

You did not change. You still love your child as much as ever. But the child experiences the slap as a change from love to anger. They cannot grasp that the greater overriding reason which for you has remained the same. You love your child.

The writer of Hebrews tells us this:

Hebrews 12:6-8 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

I threw in verse 8 because it adds to the discussion. (Boy, the writer doesn't mince words here.)
This is perhaps the most important reason why chastening - God's love perceived, by humans, as anger, - is proof that we are His children. God does not chasten bastards.
Why?
They are not His children.

Maybe the next time we feel God is angry with us we act differently. Instead of complaining about it, we thank God for it, and ask, "What are you trying to teach me Lord?”

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
THIS ^^^^^

The thing is, the article seems to lean towards the passibility of God. Personally, I don't see how the impassibility of God can be supported by Scripture. To me, the issue is whether or not these reflect changes in his nature, and they certainly do not. Rather, each emotion is an expression of his unchanging nature.

I find this interesting.

Exodus 4:14 Then the anger of Yahweh burned against Moses

J Ligon Duncan on the anger of the Lord. That’s very interesting. What does that mean? Does God sort of have sudden bursts of fits and rage like we do? Can we sort of tweek Him and push Him a little too far and, and then He blows up? Does He have an emotional life like ours that’s actually to a certain extent controlled and is a response to things outside Himself? If so, how can He be sovereign? Let me introduce a few terms to you. In the Bible, in the Old Testament especially, there are figures of speech called anthropomorphisms. In those figures of speech we often refer to God, or to some activity of God, using figures of speech as if God had a body like we do. Sometimes we’ll speak of the ear of God, or the arm of God, or the hand of God, or the face of God, or the back of God. It’s very clear that those are metaphors. That’s symbolic speech, because the Old Testament as well is very clear that God is a spirit. He doesn’t have a body like we do. He is totally different. He is in an entirely different category from us. He doesn’t have a body. And so those are figures of speech in order to describe things which are really beyond the capacity of human language to describe. Then there’s a category of things in the Old Testament which we call anthropopathisms. That’s a nice little word. It simply means not only are anthropomorphisms, like the body of the human, but there are anthropopathisms, like the emotions of a human, where human emotions are ascribed to God. What do we do with those? Is his emotional life, just like our emotional life? And again the Old Testament and the New give the answer no, His emotional life is not like our emotional life. God is a God who is deeply concerned for His people, He loves His people, but His love and what we would call His emotional life or His affective life is different from ours in that it is not vacillating, and it’s not controlled from the outside. So what do you do with a passage like this, where it says, the anger of the Lord burned. And you can almost see the picture, you’ve told the child for the fourteenth time not to swing his elbows at the table and off goes the milk again, and the father goes, "I told you not to do that." The anger of the Lord burns. And it seems like that anger is produced by the circumstances in which the Lord found Himself. But again, I want you to see here what we have is actually an anthropopathism using human words to describe God’s activity and action, and how do I know that? Well, the Hebrew doesn’t say the Lord burned here.. Here is what the passage says. The passage literally says, "The nose of the Lord heated up." That’s literally what the passage – if you want to be literal about it, it’s the nose of the Lord heated up. He burned with anger. My ears usually turn red. That’s what gives me away. "The nose of the Lord heated up." Notice that’s an anthropomorphic symbol. It’s a term which uses human body figures to describe God. That’s a clear tip off that this is an anthropopathism. It’s an ascription of human emotional activity to God to express what? His displeasure with Moses. It doesn’t indicate that God is vacillating in his emotional life like we are, inconsistently controlled from the outside. But it does it does indicate that God is not an unmoved, unfeeling being. He is a God that deeply cares about right and wrong and obedience. And so His divine displeasure is described in that he burned. Exodus 4:10-17 A Spokesman for Moses)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back