Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Prophecies about Jesus

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Wrg1405

I am not being lazy but does anyone have a resource or recommend a book or even your own works concerning prophecies about Jesus from the NT? I do have some but I know there are many more.

As I said I'm not being lazy but it has been confirmed just recently that my wife and I will head up a group for non beleivers who are searching/seeking more about the Christian Faith. The group will be made up of people who have been reached through various courses, like the Alpha Course and people currently in the church who are not beleivers and part of a group. We are currently working through various books and resources that hopefully will answer questions that most commonly arise.

The next couple of weeks are busy for us as we are preparing for our son to go to uni. So family time is important at this time.

So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Do you mean OT prophecies about Jesus that are fulfilled in the NT?

Technically speaking, all of the scriptures speak or testify of Jesus:

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

This is a nice short list available online that's not too complex to study. I have a thick volume around the house here somewhere that delves into these in more detail. Tried to use it a few times when engaging Jewish folk, but it turns out they have other ideas, "anything BUT Jesus." I chalk it up to Divinely Imposed blindness. Romans 11:8.

http://www.newtestamentchristians.c...stament-prophecies-fulfilled-in-jesus-christ/

Dear Brother Wrg1405, if you goggle "Old Testament prophesies of Jesus" there appears a list of different links that may help narrow your search. I’m just listing a few below in case they don’t appear where you are.
http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm
https://jewsforjesus.org/answers/prophecy/top-40-messianic-prophecies
http://www.accordingtothescriptures.org/prophecy/353prophecies.html
http://www.biblestudy.org/prophecy/old-testament-prophecies-jesus-fulfilled.html

And there are more. Be blessed in your presentation in Jesus’ name. :wave2

Wow, there are so many! But here’s one you and your group might find interesting to explore: It’s the entire life story of Joseph, the son of Jacob. It is 10 chapters of pure prophecy (both fulfilled and yet future) that starts in Gen 37 and runs thru till chapter 47:27 (with a pause in chapter 38.) I have found 38 parallels between Joseph’s life and Jesus’ life (if you find more, please share!)
But it can be simplified like this:
The beloved son was sent by his father to see to the welfare of his brothers. But the brothers (Jews) hated him so much they wanted to kill him. They sold him out to strangers for silver coins, threw him into a pit and never thought they’d see him again. But much later, they are astonished to discover that not only is he still alive, but he is now ruler of the Egyptians (Gentiles), second only to Pharaoh (God.)
If you’ll use this phrase as a guideline, you’ll be able to see so many prophecies in the O.T. it’ll make your head spin. It goes like this:
“The Old Testament is the New Testament Concealed; the New Testament is the Old Testament Revealed.”
Hope this helps!

You ain't been around in ages.
Where you been may I ask?
not sure who you're asking, but in case you're talking to me, I didn't want to be rude and not respond! But you are right, I haven't been around in.....uhhhh..... almost a year? Gosh, has it been THAT long???? YIKES!!

The King James version reads on the average of no higher than around the eighth grade level; Flesch called it "a monument to very easy prose". There are 1189 chapters in the Bible, 929 in the Old Testament, and 260 in the New Testament. Reading a mere five chapters a day will cause a Christian to read his Bible a time and a half a year. There is a reason the old Protestant reformers were all amillennialists; they frequently read the prophets.

I know this formula works, provided one reads from Matthew to the Apocalypse and Genesis to Malachi, for I used it to work up to 30 chapters a day. There is no better way than reading the Bible for yourself and learn these Old Testament prophecies concerning the Lord Jesus, such as Gen. 49.10, Num. 24.17 Deut. 18.18, Ps. 16, 22, Joel 2-3, Mi. 5.2 (false versions will make Jesus a created being in this verse), Isa. 40.1-2, 53.1-12 Zech. 12.10, 13.6 (modernist versions remove "hand"), and many more of over 400. If you should like to watch a funny sight, memorize several and then quote them to a Jew. They generally run faster than they can exit the door.

Last edited:
I am not being lazy but does anyone have a resource or recommend a book or even your own works concerning prophecies about Jesus from the NT? I do have some but I know there are many more.

As I said I'm not being lazy but it has been confirmed just recently that my wife and I will head up a group for non beleivers who are searching/seeking more about the Christian Faith. The group will be made up of people who have been reached through various courses, like the Alpha Course and people currently in the church who are not beleivers and part of a group. We are currently working through various books and resources that hopefully will answer questions that most commonly arise.

The next couple of weeks are busy for us as we are preparing for our son to go to uni. So family time is important at this time.

So if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I don't quite understand why you want to deal with OT prophecies about Jesus with people who are new believers or unbelievers.

Why don't you work through something like Norman Geisler & Ron Brooks 1990. When Skeptics Ask: A Handbook of Christian Evidences. Wheaton, Illinois: Victor Books? At the back of the book, there is a section on 'Suggested Readings' for each chapter.

I see that a 2013 revised edition is now published by Baker Books and a portion of the book is available online HERE.

Oz

A knowledge of the covenant of works is mighty useful to buttress the faith for the curious. It is also handy for religious cultists such as papists, Seventh Day Adventists, Russellites or Jehovah's False Witnesses, Mormons, Moonies, the Orthodoxy and on.

I don't quite understand why you want to deal with OT prophecies about Jesus with people who are new believers or unbelievers. Oz
Because it is the OT prophecies that explain who Jesus is and why He had to suffer. If you don't believe Moses and the Prophets, you won't believe Jesus, either. Jesus even said so in Jn 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
To bring people to Jesus, WITHOUT Moses and the Prophets is like building a house on sand.

A knowledge of the covenant of works is mighty useful.....
:hysterical There is no such thing as a "Covenant of Works!"

But there IS a....
1- Covenant of Water (Gen 9:11-17) God will never destroy earth with water again
2- Covenant of the Pieces (Gen 15) the promise of Land and a Son (Messiah)
3- The Marriage Covenant- the entire Mt Sinai experience
4- Covenant of Salt (Num 18:1-17) affirms Aaron's everlasting priesthood; and extended to give David the Kingdom (2 Chron 13:5)
5- Covenant of Peace (Num 25:1-13) given to Phinehas for an everlasting priesthood
6- The Marriage Covenant "Renewed" (BECAUSE WE BROKE IT!) (Jer 31:31-34) and written on our hearts instead of on stone

Last edited:
Because it is the OT prophecies that explain who Jesus is and why He had to suffer. If you don't believe Moses and the Prophets, you won't believe Jesus, either. Jesus even said so in Jn 5:46 For if you believed Moses, you would believe me; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
To bring people to Jesus, WITHOUT Moses and the Prophets is like building a house on sand.

I wish you luck with starting with OT prophecies with Aussie pagans who don't care a hoot about the Bible.

I suggest that it would be better to start where Paul did on the Areopagus: ' For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man' (Acts 17:23-24 ESV).

Paul referred back to some OT issues, but not OT prophecies. But that was not where he started the discussion; he began with his observation that they had an altar marked 'to the unknown god'. Then he proceed to declare information about the God who was known to him.

I agree that we need to affirm and agree with Moses and the prophets, but that is not where we begin our witnessing with non-Christians in a secular Australia.

Oz

I suggest that it would be better to start where Paul did on the Areopagus: ' For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24 The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man' (Acts 17:23-24 ESV).
How is that a "better" approach.....it had no effect on the people! It was the resurrection of the dead (an OT prophecy) that got their attention. But even then, only a few believed (see v 30-34) Paul's best results came when the Gentiles overheard him teaching in the synogogues on Sabbath. (See Acts 13:14-51)
But don't get discouraged...keep fighting the good fight!

A knowledge of the covenant of works is mighty useful to buttress the faith for the curious. It is also handy for religious cultists such as papists, Seventh Day Adventists, Russellites or Jehovah's False Witnesses, Mormons, Moonies, the Orthodoxy and on.
What do you mean by the Orthodoxy?

I don't quite understand why you want to deal with OT prophecies about Jesus with people who are new believers or unbelievers.

Why don't you work through something like Norman Geisler & Ron Brooks 1990. When Skeptics Ask: A Handbook of Christian Evidences. Wheaton, Illinois: Victor Books? At the back of the book, there is a section on 'Suggested Readings' for each chapter.

I see that a 2013 revised edition is now published by Baker Books and a portion of the book is available online HERE.

Oz

Because I think it will be useful to refer to if needs be should a question or discussion warrant it. It's not a starting point for me. A lot of people inc Christians do not even delve into the OT even though it's full of jewels and wisdom and learning.

I've had someone who will join the group say "If Jesus is the son of God, the God of the OT then I can't accept God because of all the bad stuff that he did in the OT.

I appreciate that this raises other issues to work through but as said Jesus as the son of God is revealed in the OT. For that I want fully armed as such.

I will have a look at the book you recommend. Do you think it's one that I can hand out or one to work through with them all.

How is that a "better" approach.....it had no effect on the people! It was the resurrection of the dead (an OT prophecy) that got their attention. But even then, only a few believed (see v 30-34) Paul's best results came when the Gentiles overheard him teaching in the synogogues on Sabbath. (See Acts 13:14-51)
But don't get discouraged...keep fighting the good fight!

It is false to say that Paul's preaching at the Areopagus 'had no effect on the people'. This is the truth:
32 Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked. But others said, “We will hear you again about this.” 33 So Paul went out from their midst. 34 But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them (Acts 17:32-34 ESV)
Do you live in a culture where people don't give a hoot about the Bible, including Jesus' death and resurrection? If you did, you would understand Acts 17 (ESV) and the Areopagus better as a starting point for Christian discussion.

Oz

Last edited:

:hysterical There is no such thing as a "Covenant of Works!"

But there IS a....
1- Covenant of Water (Gen 9:11-17) God will never destroy earth with water again
2- Covenant of the Pieces (Gen 15) the promise of Land and a Son (Messiah)
3- The Marriage Covenant- the entire Mt Sinai experience
4- Covenant of Salt (Num 18:1-17) affirms Aaron's everlasting priesthood; and extended to give David the Kingdom (2 Chron 13:5)
5- Covenant of Peace (Num 25:1-13) given to Phinehas for an everlasting priesthood
6- The Marriage Covenant "Renewed" (BECAUSE WE BROKE IT!) (Jer 31:31-34) and written on our hearts instead of on stone

If you are not familiar with Covenant Theology, also called Covenantalism or Federalism, yes, there is what is known as the Covenant of Works or Obedience, as well as Redemption and Grace; we do not use dispensations that are administrations of grace to rightly divide the word of truth. In fact, most of those places in the Bible belong to one Covenant or another. There is a disagreement with the paedobaptists, one originating from their camp, as well as the erroneous New Covenant Theology and Progesssive Covenantalism (the Federalist version of Progressive Dispensationalism), but that is beyond the topic of this thread. It not good to be hasty in speech. We absolutely believe (Rom. 11.6; Eph. 2.5-10) in sola gratia and not in a salvation based on works. The name historically given to the Covenant of Obedience is the Covenant of Works, a centuries-old title. May you consider Proverbs 21.5, 24 and 29.20.
Good day.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back