Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Prophecy is for Today

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Introduction

In the past few months, there was movement started by John MacArthur who wrote a book and held a conference called, "Strange Fire." This was an attempted "intervention," and general condemnation of any and all charismatics.

One of their primary concerns on this matter is the all sufficiency of Scripture, yet I will contend that they are going against this by rejecting certain passages that are quite clear from Scripture.

I will briefly outline what in particular the gift of Prophesy is. I normally write lengthy OP's, but find they don't go responded to.

Argument l The Gift of Prophecy is For Today

The gift of Prophecy in the New Testament, is not akin to the OFFICE of the prophet in the OT. In the New Testament, it is a fallible revelation of the Holy Spirit to a believer, to be then given to the body of the Church (or perhaps a certain individual based upon circumstances) for their edification and encouragement.

The Scriptures this is built on are the following:

On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.[1]

This passage establishes the gift of prophecy for the purpose of "upbuilding, encouragement, and consolation of the church."

Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good.[2]

This passage establishes the fallible nature of NT prophecy, that they are to be tested and what is good is to be held onto. Abuses should not cause one to despise the gift.

Conclusion

I wanted my argument to be brief so that it could be further expounded upon in detail later, however I do want to make one final point. Prophecy is NOT the authority to say, "thus saith the Lord," in the NT. Due to it's fallible nature, and purpose for encouragement, it should not be utilized to reveal pertaining to issues of doctrine or even warnings and oracles. It is a gift given by the Holy Spirit to the believers to edify and build up one another. If a supposed "prophecy," does not fit this criteria, then according to the Scripture I already listed we should not hold it fast.

Regards,
DI

[1] 1 Corinthians 14:3-4 (ESV)
[2] 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 (ESV)

Last edited:
Prophecy given by the Holy Spirit is NOT fallible. The problem is that a whole lot of babes in Christ are led by 'whatever' to genuinely attribute anything they might describe as 'prophecy', to the Holy Spirit, regardless it's actual origin.

To say nothing about outright frauds operating in sheep's clothing.

Actual prophecy is rare, always true, but can't be known as fact until afterwards. The revelation of the former prophecy as latter fact is what demonstrates the power of God and comforts His followers.

Prophecy given by the Holy Spirit is NOT fallible.
The prophets are fallible, the Holy Spirit is not. That is an important correction, that I don't think I was clear on. This doctrine isn't the idea that the Holy Spirit hands out different assortments of faulty and innaccurate prophecies, but rather the people speaking the prophecies are fallible.

This is demonstrated by the text I listed (which you did not address) that admonishes the believers in Thessalonica to not depise prophecy, and to test everything and hold fast that which is good. This implies that the messages they hear from the prophets is fallible, and is subject to testing. Rather in the Old Testament it was infallible and not subject to testing.

The problem is that a whole lot of babes in Christ are led by 'whatever' to genuinely attribute anything they might describe as 'prophecy', to the Holy Spirit, regardless it's actual origin.
There have been many abuses of this doctrine, and it is certainly not for new Christians, but takes a degree of wisdom and maturity to properly apply in the orderly way Paul ascribes.

To say nothing about outright frauds operating in sheep's clothing.
Those people are so outside of the truth that it is almost not even worth mentioning, those who love the gospel plainly see this.

Actual prophecy is rare, always true, but can't be known as fact until afterwards.
No, actual prophecy, as mentioned by Paul, is for the edification and upbuilding of the Church. It is NOT a gift to foretell the future, as you seem to be implying here. This is a spontaneous revelation from the Holy Spirit to the fallible believer, which is then delivered to the church body for their edification. You're basing your position off a false understanding of the word prophet as used by Paul.

It is also important to note that none of what you have said is backed by the writings of the Apostles.

The revelation of the former prophecy as latter fact is what demonstrates the power of God and comforts His followers.
Also to address your claim that it is rare...

For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.[1]

The Corinthian church seemed to have a problem of having too much to prophesy, being told that they could all (implying a plurality of people) prophesy one by one. The spirits of the prophets being subject to the prophets (the one giving the prophecy, not the office of a prophet) also implies that the message is fallible, but in this context more so pertaining to the fact that they can control themselves and not go out of turn or at the same time as another.

Not quite as rare as you'd think it be, as the structure of Paul's recommended services had a few people going up to speak in tongues with an accompanying interpretation, or prophesy (both are quite related in their function).

Your statements simply do not fit the text.

[1] 1 Corinthians 14:31-32 (ESV)

Back