Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Protestant interested in Catholicism? Read this

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Rõßεrt

As a protestant converting to Catholicism I have to say one of the biggest helps was

Freedom....

And I find Catholics have no idea what this means so don't feel bad, start here

Article 6 Catechism of the Catholic Church

MORAL CONSCIENCE

1776 "Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment.... For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God.... His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths."

from there read on

I. The Judgment of Conscience

1777 Moral conscience,48 present at the heart of the person, enjoins him at the appropriate moment to do good and to avoid evil. It also judges particular choices, approving those that are good and denouncing those that are evil.49 It bears witness to the authority of truth in reference to the supreme Good to which the human person is drawn, and it welcomes the commandments. When he listens to his conscience, the prudent man can hear God speaking.

1778 Conscience is a judgment of reason whereby the human person recognizes the moral quality of a concrete act that he is going to perform, is in the process of performing, or has already completed. In all he says and does, man is obliged to follow faithfully what he knows to be just and right. It is by the judgment of his conscience that man perceives and recognizes the prescriptions of the divine law:

Conscience is a law of the mind; yet [Christians] would not grant that it is nothing more; I mean that it was not a dictate, nor conveyed the notion of responsibility, of duty, of a threat and a promise.... [Conscience] is a messenger of him, who, both in nature and in grace, speaks to us behind a veil, and teaches and rules us by his representatives. Conscience is the aboriginal Vicar of Christ.50

1779 It is important for every person to be sufficiently present to himself in order to hear and follow the voice of his conscience. This requirement of interiority is all the more necessary as life often distracts us from any reflection, self-examination or introspection:

Return to your conscience, question it.... Turn inward, brethren, and in everything you do, see God as your witness.51

1780 The dignity of the human person implies and requires uprightness of moral conscience. Conscience includes the perception of the principles of morality (synderesis); their application in the given circumstances by practical discernment of reasons and goods; and finally judgment about concrete acts yet to be performed or already performed. the truth about the moral good, stated in the law of reason, is recognized practically and concretely by the prudent judgment of conscience. We call that man prudent who chooses in conformity with this judgment.

1781 Conscience enables one to assume responsibility for the acts performed. If man commits evil, the just judgment of conscience can remain within him as the witness to the universal truth of the good, at the same time as the evil of his particular choice. the verdict of the judgment of conscience remains a pledge of hope and mercy. In attesting to the fault committed, it calls to mind the forgiveness that must be asked, the good that must still be practiced, and the virtue that must be constantly cultivated with the grace of God:

We shall . . . reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.52

1782 Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."53

Did you miss that last line?

What does this mean to you?

It means if you find Catholics doing things contrary to your conscience that's on them, not you, and I did test this without issue.

It does take a great deal more faith to be Catholic, on one big issue, and its an issue Jesus praised a Roman centurion on..

I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

That Roman understood what?

Delegation of authority.

For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants
The name of Jesus means the authority of Jesus.

Protesting that is not advisable.

As a protestant converting to Catholicism I have to say one of the biggest helps was

Freedom....

And I find Catholics have no idea what this means so don't feel bad, start here

Article 6 Catechism of the Catholic Church

MORAL CONSCIENCE

1776 "Deep within his conscience man discovers a law which he has not laid upon himself but which he must obey. Its voice, ever calling him to love and to do what is good and to avoid evil, sounds in his heart at the right moment.... For man has in his heart a law inscribed by God.... His conscience is man's most secret core and his sanctuary. There he is alone with God whose voice echoes in his depths."

from there read on

I. The Judgment of Conscience

1777 Moral conscience,48 present at the heart of the person, enjoins him at the appropriate moment to do good and to avoid evil. It also judges particular choices, approving those that are good and denouncing those that are evil.49 It bears witness to the authority of truth in reference to the supreme Good to which the human person is drawn, and it welcomes the commandments. When he listens to his conscience, the prudent man can hear God speaking.

1778 Conscience is a judgment of reason whereby the human person recognizes the moral quality of a concrete act that he is going to perform, is in the process of performing, or has already completed. In all he says and does, man is obliged to follow faithfully what he knows to be just and right. It is by the judgment of his conscience that man perceives and recognizes the prescriptions of the divine law:

Conscience is a law of the mind; yet [Christians] would not grant that it is nothing more; I mean that it was not a dictate, nor conveyed the notion of responsibility, of duty, of a threat and a promise.... [Conscience] is a messenger of him, who, both in nature and in grace, speaks to us behind a veil, and teaches and rules us by his representatives. Conscience is the aboriginal Vicar of Christ.50

1779 It is important for every person to be sufficiently present to himself in order to hear and follow the voice of his conscience. This requirement of interiority is all the more necessary as life often distracts us from any reflection, self-examination or introspection:

Return to your conscience, question it.... Turn inward, brethren, and in everything you do, see God as your witness.51

1780 The dignity of the human person implies and requires uprightness of moral conscience. Conscience includes the perception of the principles of morality (synderesis); their application in the given circumstances by practical discernment of reasons and goods; and finally judgment about concrete acts yet to be performed or already performed. the truth about the moral good, stated in the law of reason, is recognized practically and concretely by the prudent judgment of conscience. We call that man prudent who chooses in conformity with this judgment.

1781 Conscience enables one to assume responsibility for the acts performed. If man commits evil, the just judgment of conscience can remain within him as the witness to the universal truth of the good, at the same time as the evil of his particular choice. the verdict of the judgment of conscience remains a pledge of hope and mercy. In attesting to the fault committed, it calls to mind the forgiveness that must be asked, the good that must still be practiced, and the virtue that must be constantly cultivated with the grace of God:

We shall . . . reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.52

1782 Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. "He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters."53

Did you miss that last line?

What does this mean to you?

It means if you find Catholics doing things contrary to your conscience that's on them, not you, and I did test this without issue.

It does take a great deal more faith to be Catholic, on one big issue, and its an issue Jesus praised a Roman centurion on..

I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

That Roman understood what?

Delegation of authority.

For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants
The name of Jesus means the authority of Jesus.

Protesting that is not advisable.
First I'd like to say that posting from the CCC is like a reformed person posting from one of the confessions.

Doesn't work. Better to use scripture.

Also it's not accurate to state that we should obey our conscience. We can only obey our conscience when it has been trained by God's laws.

Catholics are not knowledgeable about their faith.

Not easy to argue, however I found it takes a great deal more faith to be Catholic

Can that be said for people who do not study faith?

Can someone who studies faith answer that?

If you're raised to believe something then its been essentially programmed, no?

Here's where we could imagine Catholics and Protestants pointing fingers at one another for what they believe,
each could claim the other is brainwashed, so it would take actually knowing both

You hear of converts to and from both sides, but not necessarily the reasons.

I had left my Protestant faith and turned down a patriot path, perhaps not to different than our friend Jkeyreed

As I was quite disillusioned with being a slave to the system and my church seemed oblivious to discussing it,
most sermons were old testament and getting people saved with a splattering of other but no study on revelation which seemed most related to today

I feel this is where SDA's excel to give credit where credit us due but no religion seemed actually in tune again with
my disillusionment

Had infowars.com existed back then I'd of likely made it my religion,
not a good idea now but good for keeping up with the crazy in the world

So, how does one "try the spirit" with Catholicism?

and

Catholic Churches have RCIA classes, thats where you learn the faith, the CCC is the rule book,

when I discovered 1776 as posted above I was floored, and I certainly tested it, if you think I don't follow the rules here
just know that's my normal method of operation, it is trying the spirit

and I tested and it passed , now I'm a missionary

But... my work is cut out for me

Satan has deceived the whole world

and people are comfortable with his world, they love it, its control

I've mentioned I like music, this is gold

The soul I took from you was not even missed, yeah

949cc1fa163ff84794e23b664af2337a75246a36_2_308x250.jpeg

it's not accurate to state that we should obey our conscience

I'd suggest another look

I'd suggest another look

Just an observation from a passer-by. Until this thread, I only assumed that you were Catholic and now I know for sure. That's okay. That's not what I'm posting about here. What has caught my attention is that it is interesting that the Scripture references you use in your posts are not from a authorized Catholic Bible but rather from a Protestant Bible. Sorry for the off-topic post. I just find it a little ironic is all.

I'd suggest another look

Robert,
Those blue boxes are making us a little crazy.

Could you copy and paste from Bible Gateway instead of linking to that site?
The printing changes and is very small and not easy to read at all.
It would be very much appreciated.

The other thing is:
No need for another look.
I teach in the CC and I know for sure that this is what it teaches.
If not, then the teaching is too narrow in scope.

Think about if for a minute.
How could we possibly trust our conscience?
What if a person's conscience tells them it's not so bad to steal? Kill?
An affair doesn't seem so bad. Who could it possibly hurt?

The conscience only works well if a person is aware of God,
and wishes to follow God. Otherwise their conscience counts for very little.

I only assumed that you were Catholic and now I know for sure

you just attempted a dig didn't you?

I've stated I'm Catholic plenty of times to remove any need to question

Scripture references you use in your posts are not from a authorized Catholic Bible but rather from a Protestant Bible.

Just ironic?

William Tyndale one of the reformists was quoted as saying

“I defie the Pope and all his lawes . . . if God spare my lyfe ere many yeares, I wyl cause a boye that dryveth the plough, shall knowe more of the scripture then thou doest.

I then used my 1611 to enter the Roman Catholic Church and submit to the Pope and often find to know more scripture, from as you put it the protestant bible, than protestants who don't even know if they use Minority, Majority, Textus Receptus, Septuagint or Masoretic text, if even any, nor do many ever seem to care.

I'm catholic but don't mind listening to any good preacher or any particular religion if they're preaching Jesus, I listen to SDA preachers who hate the Catholic Church but can preach a good sermon.

I'm more often urked at their choice of bible but can recognize it and substitute the words in my head

The original 1611 contains 80 books and is close to what my Priest uses, he's free to use what he wants as I am, for me its about foundation.

Those blue boxes are making us a little crazy.

I believe this is the third time you mentioned it, same as before I see no blue boxes and can likely help you figure out your issue

The one box works as it supposed to and allows anyone to go direct to the passage, check context and read more

This is what I see

29ebda322280a88e318b20eeeca6de9bb6cb5a50.png

I will add when you moved a reply of mine it came out looking distorted, font became heading size and thumbnails huge, so whatever your browser is set to likely changed it

Just ironic?

I then used my 1611 to enter the Roman Catholic Church and submit to the Pope and often find to know more scripture, from as you put it the protestant bible, than protestants who don't even know if they use Minority, Majority, Textus Receptus, Septuagint or Masoretic text, if even any, nor do many ever seem to care.

I'm catholic but don't mind listening to any good preacher or any particular religion if they're preaching Jesus, I listen to SDA preachers who hate the Catholic Church but can preach a good sermon.

I'm more often urked at their choice of bible but can recognize it and substitute the words in my head

The original 1611 contains 80 books and is close to what my Priest uses, he's free to use what he wants as I am, for me its about foundation.

I believe this is the third time you mentioned it, same as before I see no blue boxes and can likely help you figure out your issue

The one box works as it supposed to and allows anyone to go direct to the passage, check context and read more

This is what I see

I will add when you moved a reply of mine it came out looking distorted, font became heading size and thumbnails huge, so whatever your browser is set to likely changed it
It's not my browser.
We've had a couple of complaints.
The box above is a link box. It comes out blue in your posts.
This can be avoided by copying and pasting 1 Timothy 4:2 instead of linking bible gateway.

What I'm saying is that the print is smaller than what YOU write on your computer/phone and many will not take the time to read it.

But do as you will.
Your choice.

Just ironic?

This is what I see

PS

If you're using the new darker color it won't be blue.
Sorry 'bout that.

Everything else I've said above remains the same.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back