Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Protestantism....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

Without searching the internet for the answer (you are on the honor system here).

When was the term Protestant first used?

By the root word "Protest" you have to believe it came from some sort of religious rebellion. I would think it had something to do with rebellion from the authority of the Catholic church?

:smt061

Justmee said:
By the root word "Protest" you have to believe it came from some sort of religious rebellion. I would think it had something to do with rebellion from the authority of the Catholic church?

Close.... you are correct in the root being Protest.

The question is "What were they protesting"?

The protest was the authority of the Roman Church. Umm, this is where Catholics and Protestants conflict on Sola Scriptura? Calvin & Luther believing that the Bible is the only source/authority.

Justmee said:
The protest was the authority of the Roman Church. Umm, this is where Catholics and Protestants conflict on Sola Scriptura? Calvin & Luther believing that the Bible is the only source/authority.

Close.... oh so close... Neither Luther nor Calvin wanted to remove themselves from the catholic church. Rather, they sought merely to "reform" the catholic church - which it needed - from Hus to Wycliffe to Luther....

But there is something specifically that was being protested.

Was it in England around the time of the Westminster confession? I seem to remember something about that...

Before I provide the answer, I would like one of our Catholic friends to take a stab at it.

I believe this term "Protestant" is not fully understood in either the Catholic or Protestant circles.

I will provide this information: It was in relation to an "agreement".

Oh, in that case. Well, I am an ex-Catholic, so, would it have been a protest against the absolutions? Ablutions? I forget what they were called exactly, where one could pay a monetary fee for a special favor from the church and one's sins would be absolved.

aLoneVoice said:
Before I provide the answer, I would like one of our Catholic friends to take a stab at it.

I believe this term "Protestant" is not fully understood in either the Catholic or Protestant circles.

I will provide this information: It was in relation to an "agreement".

I'm not sure since I couldnt use google and I didn't use my books either :biggrin ...
I would say that it is a term that Catholics use to call those who who came from catholicism(after the enlightenment) but do not adhere to catholic/orthodox theology

It was at the Second Diet of Speyer in 1529 - the Catholic majority ruled that in the Lutheran lands, Catholics must be tolerated. However, in Catholic lands, liberty would not be extended to the Lutherans.

Nineteen terrorities, led by Philip of Hesse, PROTESTED this arragement, thus becoming known as PROTESTANTS.

aLoneVoice said:
It was at the Second Diet of Speyer in 1529 - the Catholic majority ruled that in the Lutheran lands, Catholics must be tolerated. However, in Catholic lands, liberty would not be extended to the Lutherans.

Nineteen terrorities, led by Philip of Hesse, PROTESTED this arragement, thus becoming known as PROTESTANTS.

So, roughly 1500 years after the resurrection.

Without searching the web, tell me when the term "catholic" was first used to describe the Church. (Hint: It was a few years BEFORE the term Protestant was used.)

dadof10 said:
aLoneVoice said:

So, roughly 1500 years after the resurrection.

Without searching the web, tell me when the term "catholic" was first used to describe the Church. (Hint: It was a few years BEFORE the term Protestant was used.)

the term 'catholic' (with a lower case letter c) means universal. However, Catholic (with an uppercase letter c) refers specifically to one denomination hq'd in Rome - The Roman Catholic church.

the term 'catholic' (with a lower case letter c) means universal. However, Catholic (with an uppercase letter c) refers specifically to one denomination hq'd in Rome - The Roman Catholic church

What year? (No fair looking at Francisdesales' signature.)

dadof10 said:
the term 'catholic' (with a lower case letter c) means universal. However, Catholic (with an uppercase letter c) refers specifically to one denomination hq'd in Rome - The Roman Catholic church

What year? (No fair looking at Francisdesales' signature.)

what year for what? I do not know when the Roman Catholic demoniation came into being.

aLoneVoice said:
what year for what? I do not know when the Roman Catholic demoniation came into being.

What year was the term "catholic" used to describe the Church that Jesus founded? Sheesh, try to keep up ;-). The "Roman Catholic Denomination" (not DEMONiation) came into being on Pentecost around the year 36 AD. It's written about in the first chapter of Acts.

dadof10 said:
aLoneVoice said:

What year was the term "catholic" used to describe the Church that Jesus founded? Sheesh, try to keep up ;-). The "Roman Catholic Denomination" (not DEMONiation) came into being on Pentecost around the year 36 AD. It's written about in the first chapter of Acts.

Sigh - The Body of Christ was formed at Pentacost. Roman Catholicism was not founded at Pentacost.

There is a difference between Roman Catholicism - a denomination - and the ekkelsia (called out ones) the Body of Christ.

aLoneVoice said:
Sigh - The Body of Christ was formed at Pentacost. Roman Catholicism was not founded at Pentacost.

The Church that Christ founded was started at Pentecost. As Scripture says "All the believers were one in heart and mind." in Acts 15 a teaching "brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them [those that were teaching circumcision was necessary for salvation]." They met in Jerusalem, came to a conclusion and as "they traveled from town to town, they delivered the decisions reached by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem for the people to obey." Does this sound familiar? This is how the ROMAN CATHOLIC Church settles disputes on matters of faith and morals and hands these decisions on. The meetings are called "Ecumenical Councils".

We have many letters written in the first four centuries of Christianity by churchmen. There are exactly NONE that teach sola Scriptura, sola Fide, invisible church or any other purely Protestant doctrines. There are, however many that teach the Real Presence, oracular confession, purgatory, the communion of saints and many more purely CATHOLIC doctrines.

We can point to the date (probably) when your demoniation....oops, sorry...denomination ;-) was started. What was the date, give or take, when "Roman Catholicism" was founded?

The year the word "catholic" was first used to describe the Church was 110 AD:

"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles... Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaens 8:1, A.D. 110)."

So, was the Catholic Church founded after 110 AD? Was it Protestant before then?

dadof10 said:
aLoneVoice said:

The Church that Christ founded was started at Pentecost. As Scripture says "All the believers were one in heart and mind." in Acts 15 a teaching "brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them [those that were teaching circumcision was necessary for salvation]." They met in Jerusalem, came to a conclusion and as "they traveled from town to town, they delivered the decisions reached by the apostles and elders in Jerusalem for the people to obey." Does this sound familiar? This is how the ROMAN CATHOLIC Church settles disputes on matters of faith and morals and hands these decisions on. The meetings are called "Ecumenical Councils".

We have many letters written in the first four centuries of Christianity by churchmen. There are exactly NONE that teach sola Scriptura, sola Fide, invisible church or any other purely Protestant doctrines. There are, however many that teach the Real Presence, oracular confession, purgatory, the communion of saints and many more purely CATHOLIC doctrines.

We can point to the date (probably) when your demoniation....oops, sorry...denomination ;-) was started. What was the date, give or take, when "Roman Catholicism" was founded?

The year the word "catholic" was first used to describe the Church was 110 AD:

"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles... Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaens 8:1, A.D. 110)."

So, was the Catholic Church founded after 110 AD? Was it Protestant before then?

Just because it has the word "catholic" in it, does not make it the Roman Catholic church. If I am not mistaken there has been time in your history when there were two or even three popes at one time - that the church split into Rome and Eastern Catholicism. Perhaps Rome isn't the correct branch? Maybe you are following the wrong pope! Who knows?

catholic mearly means "universal" - that is how Ignatius used it - he was not referring to a denomination hq'd in Rome. Also, my fingers typed faster and I incorrectly spelled denomination - it was not intentional. However, this thread was not about Catholic history. I will ask as a Mod and as the starter of the OP to remain on topic as to when the term Protestant was first used.

It was first used because followers of Rome wanted to have liberty in the lands that were under control by those who followed Luther - however those who followed Luther would not be granted liberty in the lands controlled by Rome.

The word catholic was first used in a letter to the church in Smyrna in the early 2nd. century (105-06AD?, according to my notes).

If I remember correctly, the words Roman Catholic were first used officially in the late 4th. century the the Roman Emperor declared Christianity as the official religion of the Empire.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this was already posted. 8-)

aLoneVoice said:
Just because it has the word "catholic" in it, does not make it the Roman Catholic church.

You're right. But the FACT that the doctrines that the early Church Fathers taught with "one mind" in the first four centuries of Christianity were specifically Catholic, does. Also, the FACT that none of the specifically Protestant doctrines were taught by them, rules out that the early Church was in any way what is now called "Protestant".

If I am not mistaken there has been time in your history when there were two or even three popes at one time - that the church split into Rome and Eastern Catholicism.

There has been bogus claims to the Papacy in the past and are still to this day. Some guy up here in the Pacific NW claims to be the "true" pope and actually has some followers. There are some who think the See of Rome is vacant because Vatican II was not a valid council. Heck, there are some loons who think Al Gore is president, and Bush "stole the presidency", (just listen to Air America) but that doesn't make their claims true. We have processes that were followed in the elections of the Pope and the President. Because some seeking power choose to ignore outcomes doesn't make their claims at all valid.

However, this thread was not about Catholic history. I will ask as a Mod and as the starter of the OP to remain on topic as to when the term Protestant was first used.

OK. The only reason I went down this path is because you specifically asked for Catholic input. So, this is my input. :-D

Back