Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Prove it Soma!!

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Scott

I know you are an avid Sunday worshipper and just figured you were Protestant because of all the scripture you use.

Am I? I don't ever recall advocating any specific day or saying I pay specific reverance to any exclusive day.

As for the scripture I use, I have to be a Protestant because I use scripture?? :-? That really doesn't make any sense, does it?

Scott said:
I know you are an avid Sunday worshipper and just figured you were Protestant because of all the scripture you use.

Am I? I don't ever recall advocating any specific day or saying I pay specific reverance to any exclusive day.

As for the scripture I use, I have to be a Protestant because I use scripture?? :-? That really doesn't make any sense, does it?

Unless you Orthodox or Catholic, you are protestant.

Protestants get their understanding of Christianity and the bibles themselves from the Catholic Church. Because either they or their ancestors, or those that taught them about Christianity walked away from the Catholic Church at some point within the last 500 years, they are referred to as "protestants".

This is why we have similar bibles and books therein. The Catholic Church compiled and preserved the texts and labelled the collective texts as authortative and inerrant words from God. The baptists, the anglicans, your local church didn't just decide to believe in the Gospel of John, Mark, Luke and Matthew. They believe in them because their Catholic ancestors believed in them, who believed in them because the Catholic Church authorized them.

I was once like many here, just as "Christian". I didn't see myself as a protestant because I didn't know what that meant. I didn't realize that my beliefs originated in the Catholic Church, as did my bible. That the reason I wasn't Catholic was because somewhere in the last 500 years, someone in my family believed the ideas of men, not the truths of God as taught by the Church.

I'm not Orthodox or Catholic and last time I check I'm not a Protestant. But somehow I'm still Christian.

Gendou Ikari said:

I'm not Orthodox or Catholic and last time I check I'm not a Protestant. But somehow I'm still Christian.

Do you have a bible? Where did your bible come from? Where did their choice of books come from? Where did the idea it was inerrant and inspired come from?

Hint: Catholic Church

If you are not Catholic, nor Orthodox, then your are protestant. You received knowledge of Christ and a bible from somewhere. It traces back to the Church (and Jesus Christ). Whether you stuck with that Church or not labels you protestant.

Gendou Ikari said:

Being of mixed Norwegian and German ethnicity, I don't like being called 'White.' I don't care for the connotations.

But no one is mistaking me and for a Puerto Rican.

I respect your right to call yourself what you will, Gendou, but from where I sit, you're walking, looking and quacking like the duck you say are not.

So you are Episcopalian then? :)

AwedbyGod said:

Anglicans are protestants, they broke from the Catholic Church during the Reformation citing the same heresies.

protestant comes from the word 'protest', as in those who protest the authority of the Church.

Technically, every non-catholic is protestant

But I understand how some wish not to be wrapped up in labels and recieve all the traditional conceptions one brings to mind when hearingt the word.

The word Catholic, the word Protestant...all are man made invented lables. The early Christians were not even called Christians.

AHIMSA said:
The early Christians were not even called Christians.

Acts 26:28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

1 Peter 4:16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Soma said:

What a compliment!

:) :)

P.S. The followers of Christ were first called Christians in Antioch... "So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. Acts 11:26

Anyone want to suggest a date?

I'm a Christian pure and simple - I'm not a catholic, protestant or anything other than a follower of Christ. I do not protest against the church because I AM THE CHURCH! I am part of the body of believers that have been ordained by God through my Lord Jesus Christ...I have no reason to protest against this...therefore I am not a protestant. I'm simply a Christian - just like the early Christians were.

I didn't see myself as a protestant because I didn't know what that meant. I didn't realize that my beliefs originated in the Catholic Church

I know what it means and I know I'm not a Protestant, and my beliefs didn't originate in the Catholic church.

AHIMSA said:
Technically, every non-catholic is protestant

The Jews are gonna love that.
The bible is VERY Jewish by the way. I believed, and still do, all the events that occured within the Jewish culture of that time when I was saved a few years back. Heck, if anything christians came from Jewish origins. I don't think it would take much to prove that out.

I thought the smiley face would have been clear enough indication that I was joking. Thanks for the lesson though.

stray bullet said:
AwedbyGod said:

Anglicans are protestants, they broke from the Catholic Church during the Reformation citing the same heresies.

So you are Episcopalian then?

No, keep reading.

I'm a Christian pure and simple - I'm not a catholic, protestant or anything other than a follower of Christ. I do not protest against the church because I AM THE CHURCH! I am part of the body of believers that have been ordained by God through my Lord Jesus Christ...I have no reason to protest against this...therefore I am not a protestant. I'm simply a Christian - just like the early Christians were.

What Merry Menagerie said relates to me. I don't follow any denomination. I'm a Christian Universalist and last time I checked they, don't have a denomination.

Scott,

sorry I would have responded earlier but I got banned for bad behaviours for a week.......

Ok, I guess I can except that you dont ID with Protestants?......

But you ARE Sola Scriptura right?

I believe the Word of God to be inerrant and infallible. However it doesn't address all the answers to all our questions, but it is life's manual and are those things that God provided for us for a reason in their exclusivity.

I believe there is a room for conscience and conviction for the believer on issues that are not clearly commanded for or against. Since we don't see and know the hearts of others, the guidance for those issues must come from the Holy Spirit within the individual heart of the believer (seeking and testing)... not because someone who you consider a believer said it is ok or not ok.

Protestants get their understanding of Christianity and the bibles themselves from the Catholic Church.

That's a good one!! :-D Thanks for the laugh...I needed that. I believe you've been struck with a "stray bullet"! :lol: Everything comes from the Catholic Church doesn't it? I'll bet one of the "saints" you guys worship probably helped Noah with the arc!!

Enjoyed the humor...I'll have to come around more often.

Scott,

I totally believe your above post is very Christlike and mature.....

The presence of the Holy Spirit in the INDIVIDUAL walk is something that is often times lacking in modern day Protestant credo.

I'm a Christian pure and simple - I'm not a catholic, protestant or anything other than a follower of Christ.

Well at least one person gets it.

Denominations do nothing but separate the body of Christ.

Rom 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Back