Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Proverbs 22:16 Whoever oppresses the poor to increase his own wealth, or gives to the rich, will only come to poverty.

Can we interpret this verse to mean that such people will find themselves in "poverty" in the life to come? That's my interpretation. How about you?

I think this proverb could apply in the here and now and also in the afterlife. Giving to the rich could be a reference to borrowing money which Proverbs also talks about not being a borrower or lender.

The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.
Proverbs 22:7 ESV

A faithful man will abound with blessings, but whoever hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.
Proverbs 28:20 ESV

Be not one of those who give pledges, who put up security for debts. If you have nothing with which to pay, why should your bed be taken from under you?
Proverbs 22:26-27 ESV

Basically, Scripture instructs us to live within our means. It is not good to borrow from others. It is not good to covet. We are to be content with what we have. Does that mean it is absolutely wrong to borrow in all situations? Not necessarily. Very few could pay cash for a home so it becomes necessary to borrow from a lender to pay for the home over time. Very few of us could pay cash for an automobile so it becomes necessary to borrow to pay for it over time. The question becomes how much is too much? Sometimes we have to accept lesser things in order to live within our means. Nobody owes us a living or a lifestyle.

Last edited:
I like WIP reply, but going to put a different spin on it.

Pro 22:4 By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

Pro 22:9 He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.

Pro 22:16 He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want.

I picked out these two other verses to go along with verse 16 as this reminds me of the parable of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31.

The rich man had everything, but would not spare even a crumb to help the beggar man who was sick and starving. The rich man knew not the Lord. If he would have helped Lazarus and gave his bread to this poor man God would have blessed him, but now after they both died Lazarus became the rich man (not monetarily) being taken up to the bosom of Abraham as he is now with the Lord forever havening no needs or wants. The rich man has nothing because when you die you can not take your riches with you. Now he is in torment because he oppressed the poor and has lost his very soul to Satan.

We are to give to those who are in need, but if you keep giving to those who are already rich expecting something back from them then you are only giving wanting something back in return.

Reactions: WIP
Can we interpret this verse to mean that such people will find themselves in "poverty" in the life to come? That's my interpretation. How about you?

Take a look at history, particularly the ' robber barons ' of American industrial history. They. Oppressed there workers yet how many of them ended there lives in poverty?

Ultimately this verse referrs to the judgement day and Ben for Christians we will have to answer for our knowingly approving of the abuse of others by the corporation's we support.
Remember ignorance is no excuse.

Back