Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Proverbs

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Slider

I find the book of Proverbs fascinating! Its the only book I can think of (with the possible exception of Psalms) that jumps around in subject matter pretty quickly. The authors can be talking about gluttony one minute, and the next they are talking about the importance of honesty.

I'd like to know if there are any verses that jump out at you profoundly from Proverbs. Yes, I know they all do... But do you have any favorites? I'll start....

Pro 18:24

A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: an there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

I can't help but to think this verse is talking about a specific person as "a friend". If I were living in OT days, I'd want to know who that friend is that is even closer than a brother!

Anyone else?

I often use this to bless my house.

Proverbs 3:33 (NIV)
The Lord’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous.

I also use this proverbs when I have new plans ..

Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)
Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

20 From the fruit of their mouth a person’s stomach is
filled;
with the harvest of their lips they are satisfied.

21 The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit.

(Proverbs 18:20-21 NIV)

Just as we live or die physically according to what we put in our mouths, so we live or die spiritually in this life by what comes up out of our heart and into our mouth and spoken.

15 ...it is what comes out of a person that defiles them.”

20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

(Mark 7:15,20-23 NIV)

When we defile ourselves by the things that are on our tongues we cut ourselves off from fellowship with God. What we have in our mouths determines whether we walk in and enjoy the life of the Spirit (peace, joy, etc.) today or not.

12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.

Proverbs 13:12

The truth of this has been made particularly known to me in this life.

today is April 30 and i read Proverbs 30, verses 18-19 caught my attention...

"Three things are too wonderful for me; four I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship on the high seas,and the way of a man with a virgin."

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back