Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Church

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
K

katsa

Does anyone know about the 'Orthodox Church in America" ? Is it a protestant religion or what

thanks for replying - so I have looked at their website and I'm still confused, they seem Catholic and protestant at the same time, how do they view 'Jesus' as opposed to Protestants?

Its also called the Eastern Orthodox Church. Actually, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, and The Byzantine Church, can be refered to as the Eastern Orthodox Church as well.

Check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church

Here's a bit of history for it:

wikipedia said:
In the 11th century the Great Schism took place between Rome and Constantinople, which led to separation of the Church of the West, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Eastern Orthodox Church. There were doctrinal issues like the filioque clause and the authority of the Pope involved in the split, but these were exacerbated by cultural and linguistic differences between Latins and Greeks. Prior to that, the Eastern and Western halves of the Church had frequently been in conflict.

The final breach is often considered to have arisen after the capture and sacking of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade in 1204 .

They are definately Christian, however I would disagree with them about Apostolic Succession and Sacred Tradition, which they hold in very high regard - almost, and seemingly equal to the Word, which is a little too close for my tastes

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back