Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Love - Does anybody know?

Is it really necessary to love everyone, even the ones you don't know or don't like?

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Drew78

When I think of love, I think of the touchy feely feeling you get when you think about someone that you really care about. Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself? What about strangers? What about people that have hurt you? Is it necessary? What are your views?

If you're interested, you can read an article about love, but I just want your opinions about it. Go to http://www.victoryforchrist.com/webarticles/02.htm now to read the article, and please let me know your thoughts.

Love is a very difficult subject, and one I've always had a hard time with.

Thanks.

Drew

Drew78 said:
When I think of love, I think of the touchy feely feeling you get when you think about someone that you really care about. Jesus said love your neighbor as yourself? What about strangers? What about people that have hurt you? Is it necessary? What are your views?

If you're interested, you can read an article about love, but I just want your opinions about it. Go to http://www.victoryforchrist.com/webarticles/02.htm now to read the article, and please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Drew

All men and women are created in the image and likeness of God. (see Genesis) Because of this dignity and because God loves all men and we are to be like God, we must love ALL men. The question is what is love. Love is that you desire the best for all men. You work toward their salvation. Does this mean gushy feely love for everyone? No. Stephen was being loving in Acts 8 when he was exposing the sins of the Jews. Love is not always saying things people want to hear but what they need to hear. Love does not require that you put yourself in situations where you are going to be offended or in danger. A person who was harmed by someone does not need to visit that person if requested or invite them in to there home for instance. Love means you do not hold malice for others. Though it does allow for anger when they act injustly as Jesus got angry with the money changers in the temple. It is loving to admonish.

Now the best way I have found to love someone I am having a hard time loving is to pray for them first. Many times this also exposes attitudes that I have toward them that are not loving.

Hope that helps.

Hey Drew, Nice to meet ya.

I liked your question. It's funny cause I was thinking about this the other day and I got to thinking about the question thet the scibe asked Jesus, and that was, "Who is my neighbor".

I believe that Jesus replied with a parable and the scribe later stated something to the fact that, "the one that showed mercy" was indeed his neighbor.

So, we are to love our neigbor, and our neighbor would be the one that shows mercy toward another. Don't we qualify for both positions? I mean, arn't we supposed to show grace toward all people? Do you see how this comes full circle?

Sure, there is much more to the parable, but it's interesting to think from both angles... One, as the good samartin showing grace toward those whom the devil has beaten up and thrown in the ditch, and Two, from the point of the scribe, and loving those who show grace and in return, give grace through that same love... I hope that came out right :wink:

Perhaps this is like the kingdom of God... where a bit of yeast works it's way through the whole dough. Kinda neat huh?

Love is not the same as like. The Bible says to love everyone, including your enemies. Liking someone means you enjoy their company.

Drew78 said:

Thanks.

Drew
Hi, John here:
True Love is a principle. First is our love for the Godhead which is the first great commandment. Then Jesus summed it up with His creation coming in number two. He stated that on these two commandments hang them all.

The first four of the ten that Christ wrote in stone tell of our [duty] to God, and the other six our duty to man. Romans 13 see's Caesar involved with this government side. But they are to keep there 'paws' out of the Godhead's other requirements. But yes, we are to love mankind, but do not get that confused with mankinds sin! We are to morally hate sin, yet love the sinner. There is a real difference!

And the other love mentioned is a physical type to be based on moral Biblical principles. Yet, real Love has feelings as a rule, but it too is always to be Bible principled! Revelation 3:16-17.
This is where satan has brought in real Revelation 17:5 confusion! :sad

Love is a very difficult subject simply because there are different types of love and different levels I think. The love a man shows for his wife or wife for her husband will not be the same type of love that a man/woman shows for their best friend. They are just different. Jesus says to love your neighbor as yourself. Example, the good samaratin. He did not know the man but he acted lovingly toward him by picking him up and not leaving him there to die. You can love someone just by being nice to them and helping them instead of talking about them when they've done wrong. Instead of avoiding someone that you don't want to talk to that needs help or encouragement, talk to them. Best way to handle it is think what you would feel like if someone did to you what you did to them if the situations were reversed(Love your neighbor as yourself). Would you feel love from that person if they treated you the way you treated them or would you feel like you were being avoided and disliked?

Love is not the same as like. The Bible says to love everyone, including your enemies. Liking someone means you enjoy their company.

This is very well put. Just because you become mad at someone or do not like how they act or the things that they do does not mean that you cannot still love them. Love the sinner and hate the sin. Love the person but dislike what they are doing.

gingercat said:
Simply put, I believe love is respect.

I'm gonna have to disagree there. We're told to love our enemies. If our enemies are drunkard, adulterers, or sodomites, we are not required to respect them. Love and respect are two separate things.

Perry Reid said:
gingercat said:

I'm gonna have to disagree there. We're told to love our enemies. If our enemies are drunkard, adulterers, or sodomites, we are not required to respect them. Love and respect are two separate things.

Yep, you do have a point there.

I'm guessing gingercat possibly meant repsect the person, and not necessarily the deeds... just as we're required to love people, although that doesn't mean we always have to like the things people do.

That's my take it on it anyway.

:)

VonKarman said:
Perry Reid said:
gingercat said:

Yep, you do have a point there.

I'm guessing gingercat possibly meant repsect the person, and not necessarily the deeds... just as we're required to love people, although that doesn't mean we always have to like the things people do.

That's my take it on it anyway.

:)

You are right, that's what I meant. thanks von :biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back