Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on study bibles

Jwe

hey all,

I'm obviously a new member, and more importantly new to discovering the bible. My problem is, I really get a lot out of talking with people about scriptures or listening to the Pastor on Sundays, and bible studys with the mens group.

not so much when I read myself,I don't feel I get as much as I would like too. Just curious if any one recommends a study bible? I hate to say it, but I understand things better in lay mens terms. :shrug lol.

So preferably one with a "easier" way of understanding if there is such. I love my current bible with the multiple foot notes and side notes that help and break down scriptures...

Thanks

The Scofield has helped a lot of people.

But remember, as well, that marginal comments are what men say, while the actual text is God's Word.

I use a Scofield. I like a lot of the study notes.

I agree.

questdriven:

What I like and what I think is important is to make a distinction between Israel (earthly people) and the church (heavenly people), the coming of the Lord for His Church in the air (1 Thess. 4) and His coming in power and glory on earth.

Scofield is helpful here, and while not the only notes that help in this way, are useful in giving a general overview. There needs to be a good answer to questions such as: To whom is God speaking here? or, About whom is God speaking?

(Otherwise, some real interpretational muddles can arise.)

Blessings.

The Scofield has helped a lot of people.

But remember, as well, that marginal comments are what men say, while the actual text is God's Word.

wow... I actually never thought of that. In a way shines a new light when I engage in conversation with people... I think I'll find that its hard for me to distinguish this. Thanks for the wise words though, aand thanks all for the kind replys!

I've used many study bibles and recommend the following:

1) MacArthur study bible
2) ESV Study bible
3) Archeological Study bible
4) King James Study bible
5) Quest Study bible
6) Old Scofield Study bible

Those should keep you busy for a few years! I hope they are a blessing to you.

Started with an NIV study bible. But along the way I began relying on the King James.
I learned its best to look for content or message. All too often people read some words and try to make the words mean something different. Be careful with that.

I'm currently reading 1 Timothy commentary from MacArthur and between him and Adam Clarke they bring a lot to the table in laymans terms.

Actually, I think his commentary is just a copy of his sermons lol! http://www.gty.org/

MacArthur is pretty sound, I think.

A lot of his sermons are accessible Online, I believe.

Yes, you can get them all on line from the link above.

He really understands his Old Testament and I appreciate that. But I never put all my learning in one basket which is why I draw heavily also on Adam Clarke because they compliment each other fairly well.

Holy cow guys! Thanks a bunch, I've been big into podcasts lately from newspring church with pastor perry noble. Ive loved everything he's preached thus far.

I will however most certainly look into others for I dont want to read to much into one specific persons thought rether then focusing on the lord Gods words.

Thanks again, and god bless

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Holy cow guys! Thanks a bunch, I've been big into podcasts lately from newspring church with pastor perry noble. Ive loved everything he's preached thus far.

I will however most certainly look into others for I dont want to read to much into one specific persons thought rether then focusing on the lord Gods words.

YW & God bless your Bible study!

Here is another practical course available on iTunes http://www.dts.edu/itunesu/

Before you download the whole thing, try BE101 - Bible Study Methods. Here is the direct link to this course https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/bible-study-methods-be101/id386158693
Easy and practical course. ;)

There's a lot of study material out there.

In the end, whatever 'method' is used, there does need to be a diligent commitment to regular Bible reading.

Back