Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Red Meat & Death

Lewis

Eating Processed Meat and Red Meat Significantly Raises Risk of Death (Study)

470_2286692.0
A major new study may put the final nail in the coffin, so to speak, of the "bacon with everything" food craze. Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health examined data from more than 110,000 people and found that eating as little as two pieces of bacon or one hot dog a day upped their mortality rate by 20% over a 20-year period. A small, three-ounce serving of red meat a day (about the size of a deck of cards) increased mortality by 13%.

Consuming processed meat has long been linked to higher rates of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Dr. An Pan, lead author of the study, told the LA Times that before they crunched the numbers, his team of researchers assumed that only processed meat posed significant health risks. They were surprised by the final results: "Any red meat you eat contributes to the risk," said Pan.

The good news? The team found that swapping poultry or vegetarian protein options for processed or red meat made a big difference in outcomes. Eating a serving of nuts instead of red meat was associated with a 19% lower risk of mortality. Choosing poultry over red meat was linked with a 14% lower risk of dying.

"This study provides clear evidence that regular consumption of red meat, especially processed meat, contributes substantially to premature death," said senior researcher Frank Hu, PhD, in a statement. "On the other hand, choosing more healthful sources of protein in place of red meat can confer significant health benefits by reducing chronic disease morbidity and mortality."

Although Pan says that no amount of processed meat or red meat is good for you, he suggests that, "If you want to eat red meat, eat the unprocessed products, and reduce it to two or three servings a week." He told the Times he eats two to three servings of red meat a week and avoids all processed meat.
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...meat-significantly-raises-risk-162800549.html

I've been eating meat all my life and I'm still alive. Besides, last I checked the mortality rate was more like 100% with a 1:1 ratio :lol

Do you remember the movie Grumpy Old Men. One of the characters, 80 or 90 years old, had a line that went something like this, 'I eat bacon for breakfast, bacon for lunch, and bacon for dinner.' We should try and take care of our bodies, but we shouldn't worry about extending our lives, because we are unable to extend them. You can be the healthiest person in the world, and a cow can fall from the sky and end your life. Red meat might get you one way or the other. :lol

http://www.omegaletter.com/articles/articles.asp?ArticleID=6665

- Davies

In all fairness, the key word here is processed. I agree. Anything that man has to modify with chemicals or additives, then this opens the door to illness. Natural is always better and should be eaten as much as possible.

That being said, I totally diagree with the "disclaimers" to being overly attached to read meat by saying to eat only 2-3 servings of red meat a week as if it's some special candy to be tolerated "if you must have it" like some sort of reward. Now, I would rather they limit candy, and so-called "whole grains" and vegetable oils (e.g. margarine) to only that many times per week! But that's not what they are saying --- while they rightfully warn of processing, they then contradict themselves by pushing "put a little love in your heart" margarine crapola as often as one likes. No, we can eat the meat (if one can afford it --- I can't afford as much as I like) more often.

Eggs is the next best thing. I had 4 today; 4x 7 = 28 a week (well, maybe I exaggerate a tad, probably closer to 20).

The key word in this is moderation. A 30oz Porterhouse, although awsome, is more than a person needs, not just in fat content but in the nutrients and protiens as well. The fact is that as this country gets fatter ne of the causes can and should(and for that matter is) oversized proportions. Too much of a good thing makes that good thing bad. A diet, not diet as in lose weight but diet as in what you eat, should be balanced with ALL types of protien! Just one type of protien(or limeted like this article suggests) removes varing nutrients and nessisary fats from your diet. Now back to what I guess the point of the article was, yes we as Americans eat waaaaaaaaay to much red meat, to the point of it no longer being good for us.

The key word in this is moderation. A 30oz Porterhouse, although awsome, is more than a person needs, not just in fat content but in the nutrients and protiens as well. The fact is that as this country gets fatter ne of the causes can and should(and for that matter is) oversized proportions. Too much of a good thing makes that good thing bad. A diet, not diet as in lose weight but diet as in what you eat, should be balanced with ALL types of protien! Just one type of protien(or limeted like this article suggests) removes varing nutrients and nessisary fats from your diet. Now back to what I guess the point of the article was, yes we as Americans eat waaaaaaaaay to much red meat, to the point of it no longer being good for us.

I can agree that too large proportions contribute, but there is something else going on (something modern and weird added or processed into our foods).

The issue I always squawk about is that foods our grandmothers and grandfathers were eating are now demonized and we are told to eat ("if you must") sparingly with either a willful of ignorant blindness to other foods that our grandparents did not eat. Those "new" foods we are told to eat instead! I find it totally baffling how these research people, medical people and whatnot with their doctorates can't put two and two together and instead use statistics (which can be manipulated to say anything) to "prove" their case. Fact is, grandparents didn't eat the processed stuff with the additives. They DID eat steak and eggs and didn't have half the problems.

It is illegal to say that anything other than a medicine can treat or cure an illness or disease. It is illegal to call anything a medicine that is not rigorously tested and approved by the FDA. It would be a crime if I suggested that a prune cured constipation.

I don't take meds. I take the things God provided me to cure my body. I make allowances for trauma meds and certain other instances.

I can agree that too large proportions contribute, but there is something else going on (something modern and weird added or processed into our foods).

The issue I always squawk about is that foods our grandmothers and grandfathers were eating are now demonized and we are told to eat ("if you must") sparingly with either a willful of ignorant blindness to other foods that our grandparents did not eat. Those "new" foods we are told to eat instead! I find it totally baffling how these research people, medical people and whatnot with their doctorates can't put two and two together and instead use statistics (which can be manipulated to say anything) to "prove" their case. Fact is, grandparents didn't eat the processed stuff with the additives. They DID eat steak and eggs and didn't have half the problems.

It comes down to in our grandparents day people didnt inject massive amounts of hormones into our food, they also excersized more and ate smaller portions(the only diet that works btw). Food in the U.S. has become a big buisness and big buisness is more concerned with turning a profit vs. quality and concern for people eating junk(almost said a bad word, oops). And before the accusations come, I AM NOT AN ORGANIC GOOFBALL.

While I would say true organic is better than regular foods, I met a gentleman who makes the chemicals sprayed before planting the 'organic' foods.

Make mine a cheeseburger!

You're so right! :thumbsup

I am still trying to find what is intrisically wrong with a pure hamburger health-wise. In other words, I do not think its junk food.

I'm not talking McD's burgers with fillers and other additives, but quality 100% beef.

As for a roll, that can be substituted with two large (e.g. Romaine) lettuce leaves. The other things are pickles, tomato slices, onions and the like. You can make your own mayo from known ingredients which is basically oil, egg yolk and vinegar instead of processed jar mayo.

If you must have a bun, use something like an Ezekiel bread bun as opposed to the white flour garbage that spikes blood sugar.

So we have vegetables, home-made condiments, and beef, possibly whole grain. That's from several food groups. If anyone disagrees, tell me where my error is and what is wrong with these ingredients?

I am still trying to find what is intrisically wrong with a pure hamburger health-wise. In other words, I do not think its junk food.

I'm not talking McD's burgers with fillers and other additives, but quality 100% beef.

Um unless you are grinding your own meat most hamburger has meat included in it that has been treated with ammonia, or was extracted from liquefyed fat and reconstituted into a meat like product, this is more common in the pre made burger pattys however in the cheaper brands of meat it does show up there.

all in all :verysickunless you grind it yourself I'd stay away from hamburger.

As for a roll, that can be substituted with two large (e.g. Romaine) lettuce leaves.

Tim it just doesn't work to grill the lettuce in butter before you put the burger together...... :sad

Well as for me, I am having gallbladder problems right now, so all meat is out, until it clears up. That is if it clears up.

Lewis i remember the pictures of the ribs .....ate too many of em huh?
Yup and especially the sodas I drank so much Mountain Dew until I should be greehn

Lewis

Advice with Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee

Gallstones Always Need Surgery?

Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,

I'm confused. I've had abdominal pains for a number of years. Recently my doctor diagnosed me with gallstones. She referred me to a surgeon who recommended elective surgery. I can't decide whether or not to have the surgery. I've been told that's the only way to fix the problem. What's the gall bladder for? Do they have to take out the whole thing, or can they just remove the stones?

Signed,

Confused

Dear Confused,

Having gallstones doesn't always mean that surgery is indicated. The need for urgent intervention depends largely on the location of the stones, and whether or not the gallbladder is inflamed. If the stones have moved from the gallbladder and are blocking vital organs such as the liver or pancreas, or if the gallbladder is inflamed, then urgent intervention is indicated.

But most of the time, people with gallstones aren't experiencing any of these complications. They have intermittent bouts of abdominal pain, which may be brought on by a fatty meal. The pain may last a number of hours, but then spontaneously goes away as mysteriously as it came, and stays gone for a period of days, weeks or months. These painful episodes with no other complications are called "biliary colic."

Surgery for simple biliary colic is usually elective. Whether or not to have surgery for simple biliary colic is up to the individual patient. The benefits of getting rid of the intermittent pain episodes must be carefully weighed against the risks of having surgery. The only way to make this decision is to be completely informed. Always make sure and obtain from your physician a detailed explanation and analysis of the potential risks and benefits of any medical or surgical procedure before going ahead.

WHAT IS THE GALLBLADDER?

The gallbladder is a small pouch, located beneath the liver, which stores bile. Bile is produced by the liver and is used by the body to aid in the digestion of fat. After a fatty meal such as a nice big pizza, the gallbladder contracts, ejecting its bile contents into a small duct that leads to the intestinal tract. When the bile gets into the intestine it helps dissolve fat in the food, which makes it easier for your body to absorb it.

WHAT ARE GALLSTONES?

Normally there are no solid particles in the bile, so bile flows easily through the duct down to the intestine. But some people form gallstones which may have the potential, at some time, to block flow through the duct.

Gallstones are formed from tiny crystals that form in the bile when there are imbalances in the concentration of the substances that make up the bile. Gallstones grow slowly over a period of months and years. They may be the size of grains of sand, pebbles or marbles. They tend to lay on the bottom of the gallbladder where they can go unnoticed for years.

But one day, when the gallbladder contracts after a fatty meal and ejects its bile, it may also eject a stone. If the stone obstructs the bile duct, then this causes the immediate onset of severe abdominal pain. The pain will persist until the obstruction is relieved.

SURGERY DEPENDS ON LOCATION:

With gallstones, as in real estate, it's "location, location, location." How sick you become, and whether or not you need to undergo surgery or a procedure, depends on where the stone gets stuck.

Pain from a gallstone, which obstructs only the opening at the top of the gallbladder, will tend to be transient, lasting only until the gallstone drops back into the bottom of the gallbladder. This may take minutes or hours. But when the stone drops back down to the bottom of the gallbladder the pain disappears (biliary colic episode).

Stones that pass out of the opening at the top of the gallbladder and enter into the bile duct system can be an entirely different story. The stone can get stuck anywhere in the duct between the gallbladder and intestine . If it gets stuck in a location which blocks the liver or pancreas , then it's a major problem (common bile duct stone).

Common bile duct stones blocking the liver or pancreas can make a person seriously ill, and usually require urgent intervention. Common bile duct stones may be removed surgically, or by a procedure called ERCP.

These conditions need to be ruled out. That's one of the reasons why it's always important to be seen by a doctor if you're experiencing abdominal pain. Your doctor will know which tests need to be done to rule out serious conditions.

CAN THEY JUST REMOVE THE STONES?

Generally, removal of gallstones from the gallbladder, without removing the gallbladder, hasn't yet proven effective. Removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy) remains the usual treatment for gallstones. The body seems to get along well enough without the gallbladder, since, after its removal, bile still flows normally from the liver to the intestine.

Cholecystectomy may be performed through an operating scope placed through tiny incisions in the abdomen, without opening the abdomen (laparoscopic holecystectomy). In some cases the old fashioned open surgery may be needed. This is done through a fairly large abdominal incision. Recovery time from laparoscopic cholecystectomy is a faster process than from open cholecystectomy.

INFLAMMATION OF GALLBLADDER:

How sick a person becomes also depends on whether or not their gallbladder is inflamed. Acute inflammation or infection of the gallbladder, called cholecystitis, is a serious condition. Acute cholecystitis is an indication for removal of the gallbladder.

My stepmother had some serious gall bladder problems before she died. Stay as far away from any soda as you can. Best of luck with your illness and if you are interested in the details of what happened I will be happy to talk to you about it via PM.

My stepmother had some serious gall bladder problems before she died. Stay as far away from any soda as you can. Best of luck with your illness and if you are interested in the details of what happened I will be happy to talk to you about it via PM.
That might scare me to death

Back