Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Refuting KJV Only Mythology

K

King James

An interesting perspective on many of the cases that KJV-Onlyists make. With this being said, the KJV is what I read most, I have 4 of them. A large print for home, one for work, a 1611 facsimile, and a modern spelling 1611 version. For my MP3 player it is the default version that I have on it. For the Old Testament, I also have the Septuagint, Dead Sea Scrolls, as well as the two Masoretic revisions. For the New Testament I also have variants from the Majority, Critical, and Textus Receptus(which has slight differences compared to the KJV's Stephanus 3rd edition Greek). On MP3 and ebooks, I have dozens more versions. While I'm against KJV-Onlyism, I'm also against KJV bashing. The purpose of the videos is to learn the lies about the justification of the KJV-Only Movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good set of videos to refute Kent Hovind's take on King James Onlyism:

Here is a good 5 part refutation of Sam Gipp's KJV-Onlyism.

Here are some KJV Only Prooftexts. There are 23 short videos. Due to the 5 video per post limit, this will take a few posts.

I guess goofballs come in various shapes and sizes, in all sorts of places.

So often, with a particular controversy, both sides of the controversy have their proponents who proceed to advocate their position with arguments that have shaky foundations. This is often taken up by some people of a contrary opinion who will then seek to caricature an opposing opinion by referring to those who advocate that opinion with goodball arguments, and it happens in the other direction well.

I guess in the end the question is not, who are the goofballs? (they're everywhere), but, What are the facts?

Sometimes those facts can be quite complex.

Blessings.

It all leads to this one statement in Genesis Chapter 3 verse 1:Yea, hath God said and we all know how that ended up..

tob

Some debates with a couple of the KJVO authorities and some more refutations:

Which in turn leads to this 15 year old's statement..

Why am I very confused with bible that many version..?I need your right way for suggest.?

I am 15 years old
please make me clear.

Nebulous said:
Assuming that you are trying to ask "Why are there so many versions of the Bible?
The vast majority of Bible 'versions' are simply minor variations due to translation into English or whatever other language and have the same content expressed in a slightly different manner in the order to(1st link)
The few exceptions are either related to the inclusion or exclusion of apocryphal books (books that are not universally considered worthy of inclusion in the Bible. There are a few versions widely considered to be translated with a particular theological bias such NWT (3rd link)

Which do you think is correct?"
Since the content is essentially identical, it is merely subjective in my opinion and depends on whichever you find easiest to understand
Source:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?sea...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_ap...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_trans...

wefmeister said:
They are many translations, but all say basically the same thing. Read and compare about twenty version here:

http://www.biblegateway.com/

put in "Matthew 5" - read and compare.

find many answers here:

http://www.gotquestions.org/

Katrina H. said:
The original people who were inspired to right the books heard from God in their own language. OT Hebrew and NT Greek. This must be translated. My Fav is Amplified. My Husband's is NLT. BUT as with all translations if you want the True Meaning and Interpretation this must come through Revelation! A wonderful study tool is to use a Concordance. You don't have to know anything about Greek and Hebrew. You get the full picture of the meaning of each word. A concordance is found free in many sites. Biblegateway.com etc.

Remember LOVE is the Key! Study the Gospels for a good foundation. ROMANS and all the writings of Paul. FOCUS on Love. Scriptures ON love. KNOWING He is Love. THAT YOU ARE loved by Him. When you are secure in Love. Grounded and rooted in Love. Then build on that. I would not focus on Prophecy..end times etc. Till You can walk in Love and Know YOU are Loved!!!
The privilege to these inspired writings are precious. A Great Treasure. To be Valued and in Awe of. For us to have the ability to know the original words and their meanings so easily. It's amazing! Enjoy these writings! Also much wisdom in Psalms Proverbs etc. Well it's all.amazing!

Ecnal said:
A couple i would recommend would be the clear word english bible or the new king james bible are both good . happy reading.

? said:
I think rehab and some grammar lessons will help you tremendously.

? said:
The bible says for you to learn English........

Aaron U. said:
..Make what clear?

I Corinthians says:
I Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120311010816AAFjtoo

tob

I used to be KJO, but after doing some research I am now just KVP, if that. I own and usually use the KJV, but I don't mind using or comparing other versions. I also have an ESV.

Too many videos to watch here, but I might check some of them out.

Y'know, there are some songs I like that are in another language. I like to look up English dubs of them, because, well, I speak English and it's nice to be able to listen to an English translation that makes the lyrics clear for an English-speaking person such as myself.
Some of these songs are popular enough that there is more than one English translation out there. I like comparing them, because they might show me different possibilities of the original meaning. Some are better than others, depending of course on who translated them and how well they understand the original language. Of course, these dubbed songs are pretty much purely fan works, projects people have done just for fun. And of course, translating songs is also a bit different in that you usually(?) have to alter the words in order to be able to sing the translated version with the correct timing.
Now I don't know much about translating from one language to another, but from what I've gathered it certainly seems that it isn't always cut and dried. There are different translations of stuff sometimes because someone else thought they could do a better job. Or, in the case of some literature, because they believed the language needs to be updated in order for those in modern times to be able to understand it if they aren't familiar with the old archaic English. I guess this is especially true with the Bible because it is (and should be) held in greater importance.

That said, some people would throw a fit if you tried to "update" Shakespeare to modern English and leave the original in the dust in doing so. But I suppose that's a bit different, because it's a work that represents culture from hundreds of years ago. It's best understood in the context of the culture it came from.
The Bible is a divinework intended for all times and all people. And of course the KJV wasn't the original language nor the original culture, so it's not really a good comparison, I suppose.

I've personally never had a problem understanding the KJV, but then I was raised reading it, learning from it, hearing people teach from it. And I was exposed to enough old English to not have much trouble with the words. I do believe the KJV to be an excellent translation, but I do know people who claim to have an easier time with other translations, too.

...I'm not sure this post is related that much to the OP...sorry...^^;

Back