Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Resolving conflict

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Sas123

I came across an interesting question in my study book today for my bible group. It asks How can we avoid unnecessary conflict between God’s people today?
Today I was having lunch in a social centre and I was chatting with a lady who said she was subscribed to a Christian radio station. She mentioned something about numbers, I can’t remember exactly what she said but to the effect that they were irrelevant . I said numerology is in the bible. She replied Just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to believe it.
In fact certain numbers are mentioned many many times. To be very honest I am young in the Faith and I have not read very much scripture but I do know this fact.
Love for God is primary. I am studying and reading so that I can know God better.
I could have said something to this lady but I thought it better to remain quiet. In Proverbs it says any fool may quarrel. I will pray for her instead that she (and I) walk in God’s grace and love.

I came across an interesting question in my study book today for my bible group. It asks How can we avoid unnecessary conflict between God’s people today?
Could start by letting go of our pride. In my experience, and I'm just as guilty as anyone, most conflicts that arise between believers come about when the party's involved dig in their heals and staunchly defend their positions. Too often we think of ourselves as attorneys and judges rather than just witnesses. We struggle when someone won't accept our point of view because we want to prove we are right.

Jesus spoke of this in Mathew 10 when He sent out the 12 to the lost sheep of Israel.

11 “Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out.
12 And when you go into a household, greet it.
13 If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.

14 And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet."
Matthew 12:11-14 NKJV

Thankyou. What simple and beautiful verses. I agree we are witnesses rather than judges. Often pride or ego get in the way. That seems to be a problem !
Yes, James gave good advice when he talked about bridling our tongues. (James 3:5-10)

I wrote my anecdote so I could learn and grow. The question in my study book related to Joshua where the eastern tribes of the Israelites built a large altar on the Western side of the river Jordan.
In my understanding so far, this wasn’t really an unnecessary conflict. God was testing the solidarity of his people.

I don’t really have a definition of numerology but in the bible numbers have significance and meaning beyond just numerical value. There are very many 3’s and 7’s for example. How do you see it ?

I don’t really have a definition of numerology but in the bible numbers have significance and meaning beyond just numerical value. There are very many 3’s and 7’s for example. How do you see it ?
In my understanding so far, it is different to being a “pseudoscience”. It is symbolic.

In my understanding so far, it is different to being a “pseudoscience”. It is symbolic.
The lady in your conversation may have had a different understanding of what you meant by numerology . In other words yours and hers definition for the word were not the same .

I agree God has a purpose in the numbers used .

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back