Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Righteous Sinner?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
G

Georges

Phl 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Now here is a curious thing....Paul in Phl seems to be saying that he observed Torah and did not break the Law (blameless). Actually, it is possible to be found righteous by Faith and Works...and performing the necessary steps for atonement.

Paul in Romans admits that he sinned....how can the 2 verses be reconciled to each other...?

The ancient Ebionites claimed that Paul was a Gentile convert to Judaism....

What does Paul mean in Romans 7:9 when he suggests that once he was alive without the Law.....

This may very well hint the he was born a Gentile (without the Law) converting to Judaism (came under the Law).

Then he says....

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Was Paul a democrat?

Georges said:
Phl 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Now here is a curious thing....Paul in Phl seems to be saying that he observed Torah and did not break the Law (blameless). Actually, it is possible to be found righteous by Faith and Works...and performing the necessary steps for atonement.

Paul in Romans admits that he sinned....how can the 2 verses be reconciled to each other...?

The ancient Ebionites claimed that Paul was a Gentile convert to Judaism....

What does Paul mean in Romans 7:9 when he suggests that once he was alive without the Law.....

This may very well hint the he was born a Gentile (without the Law) converting to Judaism (came under the Law).

Then he says....

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Was Paul a democrat?

Paul was righteous only in that he was born of God. His righteousness is Jesus' righteousness imputed to him. Paul is from the seed of Abraham, an Israelite from the tribe of Benjamin (Romans 11:1). Let us read Philippians 3:6 in context:

1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. 2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. 3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: 5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:1-14

And now we will read Romans 7:9 in context:

1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? 2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:1-25

Paul is showing the difference of being under the Law, and being under the Grace of God through Jesus Christ. He is showing that the flesh is sinful under the law, and that through the born of God process whereby one is a new creature by the Spirit, one is now in Christ Jesus where a believer is dead in the flesh and rests in the righteousness of Jesus Christ.
Romans 7:9 gives indication of Paul's life prior to the knowledge of Jesus Christ where he was ignorant of the death of his being as indicated in Ephesians 1:1-7 where he writes, "1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus."

After Paul was born again on the road to Damascus, he has the inward man, the new creature within the sinful flesh that has died to sin while in Christ Jesus. Paul writes some very profound truths in the book to the Romans. Below are chapters 10 and 11. Following those two chapters is a brief biography of Paul.

1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. 20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people. Romans 10:1-21

1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias F40? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, 3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. 6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work. 7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded 8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day. 9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: 10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. 11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. 12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? 16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree; 18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. 19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. 20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. 22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. 23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. 24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree? 25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. 26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. 28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. 29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. 30 For as ye in times past have not believed F46 God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: 31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. 32 For God hath concluded F48 them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? 35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? 36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. Romans 11:1-36

A short biography of Saul (Paul) found at http://www.me.essortment.com/apostlepaulbi_rbwm.htm

Saul (Paul) was born around the same time as Christ. His given name was Saul and later he would be called Paul. Paul was a citizen of the capital city of Cilicia, Tarsus. This country was a Roman land located along the river Cydnus. Tarsus was home to a university and Saul while young received the best education possible. Saul’s father was of the tribe of Benjamin, pure and unmixed was his Jewish blood and he was molded it what one would interpret from his youth to adulthood in a staunch and upright character.

“Acts 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.â€Â

“Philippians 3:5-6 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; 6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.â€Â

Paul was sent to the Jewish school of learning at Jerusalem to study law. He was around 13 when he began his studies under the well-known Gamaliel. Gamaliel was a rabbi and very educated. After his studies he returned to Tarsus but soon after the death of Christ he returned to Jerusalem where Christianity was becoming wide-spread. It seemed that through out Jerusalem and the outskirt areas Christianity was becoming very popular. Saul was a key player in what was to take place in the life of the Christians and he became very active in the part of persecuting the Christians. Although Paul had never met Jesus he became first a vital part of the persecution of the Christians and then became a very vital player in the spreading of the Gospel of Christ to the nations.

Paul was on the Damascus road to carrying a list of suspected Christians when something happened to him. On the Damascus road Saul was converted and this conversion changed the course of his life and the Christian faith. The journey that Saul was on with the list of names of Christians was a long journey and would take Saul around 7 days. Saul was on the road with his attendants when he was struck blind on the road and fell before the living Lord. A brilliant light shone bright and Saul heard a voice saying,

“Acts 9:4 … Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.â€Â

Saul, now baptized Paul by Ananais was taken from the city for his safety to Arabia where he lived for a short time. Soon though Paul visited Jerusalem staying with Peter and James, Jesus’ brother. Paul was approached by Barnabas a friend from Jerusalem to help the church of Antioch. Paul and Barnabas began traveling together preaching the Gospel of Christ. Paul’s preaching aroused the tempers of the Jewish leaders and he was quickly opposed by both the Jewish and Christian communities. Paul insisted that the only requirement to be a Christian was to be saved through Jesus Christ, and not saved by keeping the law of man.

Paul against the warnings of others insisted on going to Jerusalem where he was captured and put in prison. Paul spent a little more than two years in prison without a trial and was finally granted a hearing before the Emperor of Rome. At this hearing Paul was finally released but soon arrested again. It is believed that it was shortly after this arrest that Paul was beheaded. It is thought that the beheading took place most probably around 66 A.D. four years before Jerusalem fell. Most all of Paul’s writings were done during his times of imprisonment. His true love for the Christ he never physically met is a shining example for all believers today.

Paul’s writings consisted of letters to the churches and a large percentage of the New Testament is credited to Paul. Paul’s writings are as follows:
  • · Romans

· 1st Corinthians

· 2nd Corinthians

· Galatians

· Ephesians

· Philippians

· Colossians

· 1st Thessalonians

· 2nd Thessalonians

· 1st Timothy

· 2nd Timothy

· Titus

· Philemon

thanks for responding with Paul's work...as part of the response...

Still....what does this verse mean up front....?

Does Paul state here that he kept Torah well enough to be blameless...? Yes or no......

A Righteous sinner ?

Talk about a Oxy-Moron !

A sinner, is someone who breaks the Law of God.....
1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

While 'Righteousness', is defined in the Bible as......
Psalms 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments [are] righteousness.

There is no such thing as a Righteous sinner !

Georges said:

Does Paul state here that he kept Torah well enough to be blameless...? Yes or no......
You wouldn't know what Paul means in any of his writings, but if you submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, you will be getting closer.

Solo said:
Georges said:

You wouldn't know what Paul means in any of his writings, but if you submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, you will be getting closer.

O how righteous you are Solo :-?

mutzrein said:
Solo said:
Georges said:

O how righteous you are Solo :-?

Did you mean right or righteous? I am right, and Jesus is my righteousness.

Jay T said:
A Righteous sinner ?

Talk about a Oxy-Moron !

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Psalms 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments [are] righteousness.

The point I was trying to make.... :angel:. So how is it that he can claim one thing...then claim that "none are righteous"....smoke and mirrors...

Georges said:
Jay T said:
A Righteous sinner ?

Talk about a Oxy-Moron !

The point I was trying to make.... :angel:. So how is it that he can claim one thing...then claim that "none are righteous"....smoke and mirrors...
Many talk about the Righteousness of Christ, but how few understand what it is !
And, few will study the Bible, to understand it, either.

And, No one gets into heaven, without the Righteousness of Jesus Christ, 'working' in their lives.
Yes, I did use the word....works.

Because Righteousness is, 'right-doing'....which we cannot do, but is the proof of God working in the lives of men/women, who are totally surrendered to Him.

Back