Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Romans 8:6......to the believer only, or to show a contrast between the Godly, and ungodly?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Iconoclast

What death is in view in Romans 8:6?

Eternal second death in hell for the unbelieving reprobate?

or a separation of the believer from God as long as he remains in the flesh?

I have always viewed it one way. Then by way of application I could make applications from the text.

Now I am asking you, is this spoken to believers only, or is it to show a contrast between a godly person and the

ungodly person?

I have always viewed it one way. Then by way of application I could make applications from the text.

Now I am asking you, is this spoken to believers only, or is it to show a contrast between a godly person and the

ungodly person?
Plenty of believers act carnally

Plenty of believers act carnally
The two elders I discussed this with were saying for a believer if we live unto ourselves rather than living upon Christ , we inevitably drift being estranged from God.
I tried to press for clarification on the whole issue. The discussion actually spanned from Romans 3:18-8:12.

Now what is the death described in vs.6?
6 For to be carnally minded is death;

I understand it to be referring to the unsaved, as Paul talks about being governed by the flesh, being unable to please God.
He contrasts thos with those who have and live according to the Spirit.
So it follows that the death is an eternal death away from God.

I understand it to be referring to the unsaved, as Paul talks about being governed by the flesh, being unable to please God.
He contrasts thos with those who have and live according to the Spirit.
So it follows that the death is an eternal death away from God.
I agree. Vs 9 seems to clarify it.

ungodly person?
Paul is writing to everybody, showing the result of walking in the "flesh" juxtaposed with walking in the Spirit.

The two elders I discussed this with were saying for a believer if we live unto ourselves rather than living upon Christ , we inevitably drift being estranged from God.
I tried to press for clarification on the whole issue. The discussion actually spanned from Romans 3:18-8:12.

Now what is the death described in vs.6?
6 For to be carnally minded is death;
That death is life here without God.

In spite of Paul's warnings about their eventual fate.
What a pity...
Most assemblies, congregations, parishes, groups today are full of people carnal, daily, and we would hope they would take warning
and that their eventual fate is not "a pity" at all
but a turn-a-round, back to Jesus !!!!!!!!!

ungodly person?

It seems to me that "they who are after the flesh" and "they who are after the Spirit" (vs. 5) represent the lost and saved person. "To be carnally-minded is death, but to be spiritually-minded is life and peace" (vs. 6) extends the distinction between the saved and lost person beyond their distinguishing mindset to the result of that mindset. The lost, flesh-minded person is spiritually dead and headed toward eternal death in hell (Ephesians 2:1-3; Philippians 3:18-19); the saved, Spirit-minded person is spiritually alive and headed toward an eternity with God in the New Jerusalem (Ephesians 2:4-10; 2 Peter 3:10-13).

There are, though, believers who take up a carnal mind and show they have in their carnal conduct. 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 is a good example. Paul's own struggle described in Romans 7 indicates that carnality is not utterly eradicated upon one's conversion. This is implied, too, in Paul's remarks at the beginning of Romans 6. One may also read of carnality among Christians in Revelations 2-3.

I do believe it is a direct contrast between lost and saved people. That being said, by way of application, anytime a true believer drifts from solid truth, they walk as if they were mere natural men. It is out of character for them. It is like when on a fishing show, the man holds up the fish for the camera.The fish is out of water, out of the way of life for it. If he does not get back in the water, he is toast.

Most assemblies, congregations, parishes, groups today are full of people carnal, daily, and we would hope they would take warning
and that their eventual fate is not "a pity" at all, but a turn-a-round, back to Jesus !!!!!!!!!
We hope, and pray.

Now to clarify, do you see this as the eternal consequence ie, that they were never a saved person. Or are you saying it is times when a believer walks in darkness?
As believers don't walk in darkness-sin, my comment applies to the living who are actually dead in trespasses and sins.

I do believe it is a direct contrast between lost and saved people.
Me too.
That being said, by way of application, anytime a true believer drifts from solid truth, they walk as if they were mere natural men.
I fail to see any difference between "drifters" and "unsaved" people.
Both walk after the flesh.
It is out of character for them. It is like when on a fishing show, the man holds up the fish for the camera.The fish is out of water, out of the way of life for it. If he does not get back in the water, he is toast.

Back