Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Sabbath Day and Communion

gerard16

Did Jesus mean that by keeping holy the Sabbath Day we must to go to church or a worship place?
Also what did Jesus mean when he said at the last supper 'Do this in memory of me?' Did he mean that we have to receive communion?Do Pentecostals and charismatics recieve communion?

When the church meets...it meats. Meaning it gathers around the table for a meal. When this happens a certain part of the evening is usually set forth in order to remember the Lord's sacrifice...with bread and wine. So this could be a daily event.

It is also a yearly event at Passover. Here the whole Exodus story is remembered. After the meal, the 3rd cup(cup of redemption) is taken in remembrance of Jesus.

So it is a daily, weekly, and yearly commemoration of the sacrifice of Christ on our behalf. :)

gerard16 said:
Did Jesus mean that by keeping holy the Sabbath Day we must to go to church or a worship place?
Also what did Jesus mean when he said at the last supper 'Do this in memory of me?' Did he mean that we have to receive communion?Do Pentecostals and charismatics recieve communion?

Hi gerard,

The Sabbath started at creation - when God rested from His works. Later when the law was given the Sabbath was 'enshrined in the law' - as a day of rest from work. In reading the NT the Sabbath remains a day of rest (from work).

Communion (with God) is a Sabbath feature of the Sabbath rest, but Communion as the (Lord's Supper) became part of the early church meetings- was not in the context of the Sabbath. I would think there was no complusion for the early church to meet on the Sabbath.

blessings

When the Law of Moses was fulfilled (satisfied by Christ' death) the Sabbath Day became a spiritual day of rest from the works of the Law.

A physical Sabbath Day is poluted, for no man can keep it.

Isaiah 1:13, "Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14) Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them."

When you believe in the works of Christ every day is the Sabbath and cannot be broken.

Hebrews 4:3, "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."

The Sabbath and the Communion Meal are two different topics really ... yet the 'do this in remembrance of Me' was stated for 'whenever you gather together' ... so it seems like during a gathering for worship is a good time for the meal.

Regarding the meaning of the last supper:

"The Wedding Betrothal
There are many similarities of the last supper to a traditional Jewish wedding betrothal. Typically the father will choose a bride for his son much like our Heavenly Father has chosen the bride for His Son. When the marriage proposal is given, an agreement by the bride is shown by accepting a glass of wine much as the Believer does at the communion meal. When it is publicly declared the bride goes through a period of immersion or cleansing much like the act of baptism. During the betrothal, the groom goes to prepare a house and does not know the time of his return but must wait until the father states the house is ready. This matches how the Messiah prepares for us our heavenly home and his return at a time no one but the Father knows. Often, a gift is given for which the Believer has received the Spirit."
Quoted from http://www.exploringsalvation.info/festivals/supper.htm

So it seems like we are remembering that He will return for his bride and it keeps our minds focused on Him.

gerard16 said:

Sure go to church on God's 7th day Sabbath and if not go to a fellow SabbathKeeper's house and worship God and His only born Son together. It doesn't have to be many there. You know what Jesus said about two or three gathered in His name Mt 18:20 and I believe that the Father will be with you too according to John 14:23"We will come to him and make Our abode with him" Remember Paul's admonition in Hebrews "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together"Hebrews 10:25 and the wise man's advice that"iron sharpens iron" Proverbs 27:17

But my friend, keeping the Sabbath day holy isn't just about going to church. Yes it is a day of rest from worldly talking and worldly tv shows worldly thinking and secular work but it's not for going home and going to sleep. It's for resting from your own work. But it's not for resting from your heavenly Father's work. So go out there and follow Jesus' example. Go help the sick or witness to somebody about Jesus or go somewhere in nature and commune with God worshiping Him as Creator the one who sits on the throne of the universe oh yeah and worship His only born Son too."God, who created all things by Jesus Christ"Ephesians 3:9 That's right two creators. Just like Hebrews 1:2 God made everything by His Son.

olympia said:
When the Law of Moses was fulfilled (satisfied by Christ' death) the Sabbath Day became a spiritual day of rest from the works of the Law.

Isaiah 1:13, "Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14) Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them."

When you believe in the works of Christ every day is the Sabbath and cannot be broken.

Hebrews 4:3, "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."

olympia said:

Now what does the law of Moses have to do with The Sabbath day? God created it when the only two humans were Adam and Eve and no Moses and no Jews. And while we're on the subject of the Law of Moses. Noah and family ate clean animals before Moses and before Abraham even and no Jews.
And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
1chr 15:17

The Sabbath was always spiritual."God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: " Genesis 2:22

Sounds spiritual to me.

olympia said:

I've never heard anything about a physical Sabbath day. God was finished creating everything physical on the 6th day. The seventh day He made something spiritual something nonphysical, something invisible and talking about God's only Born Son, Paul writes "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible,"Colosians 1:16

Are you against God's holy rest day that He made for you because you can't keep it? Jesus the vine can help you. Remember what He said
"for without me you can do nothing
"John 15:5 And remember what Paul said in Philipians 4:13[ "
I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

I think your taking that Isaiah 1:13 verse out of context because the only reason God's not excepting their Sabbath worship is because they were in rebellion with God as we see in the beginning of the chapter you used Isaiah 1:2-6 Please read them but I'm going to skip along to another chapter in Isaiah so we can see how God says we pollute His sabbath.

"If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:"Isiaiah 58:13
"olympia"

Surely we keep the Sabbath day everyday by 6 days doing our secular work for the glory of God and then on the Sabbath day from resting from secular work but doing the Father's work for the glory of God.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.1st Corinthians 10:31 :)

The Sabbath is holy and spiritual. What kind of god do we serve? Is our God evil? Did our LOVING FATHER give Israel a law he knew they can't keep then punished them with death when they break it? WOW!! In order to to try to 'change' God's law (Daniel 7:25) the things we imagine :confused

Jesus expected that people would still be observing the Sabbath after his death and resurrection - "Pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day" (Matthew 24:20). Jesus knowing that Jerusalem was going to be destroyed by Rome warned his followers concerning this event.

Jesus made it clear that that he intended for the Sabbath to be kept after his resurrection!

SonByAdoption said:
But my friend, keeping the Sabbath day holy isn't just about going to church. Yes it is a day of rest from worldly talking and worldly tv shows worldly thinking and secular work but it's not for going home and going to sleep.
hi SonByAdoption,
i disagree, Jesus is our Sabbath rest and i am a bit confused about this comment you made, that we should rest from worldly talk, worldly thinking, we are in the world, protected from the world and not of this world, we should not be doing these things at all, not just on any given day.

i disagree, Jesus is our Sabbath rest

"If any man shall break the least of these commandment, and shall teach men to do so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven..."

Are we implying that Jesus is a liar?

change said:

"If any man shall break the least of these commandment, and shall teach men to do so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven..."

no, i am implying that Jesus is our Sabbath rest.

you do realize the old covenant was a shadow for the new, right? otherwise, you would need to sacrifice more animals, in addition to following their some 160 other laws.

“There still remains therefore a rest for the people of God†– Hebrew 4:9.

“The people of God†must be people who follow Jesus. If you are following Jesus (resting in Jesus), why is there a rest remaining for you?

God swore that ancient Israel would not enter into his rest – (Hebrew 3:8-11). What rest was he talking about? – The land of Canaan was that rest. The journey of the Israelites is synonymous to our journey. The only difference is that the rest for spiritual Israel is with Jesus in the new earth.

Jesus expected people to keep the Sabbath almost 40 years after his death and resurrection. Jesus warned his followers of the pending destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. The destruction of Jerusalem took place in 70 AD (some 30-add years after Jesus’ resurrection), but Jesus told his followers to pray that their “flight be not on the Sabbath day.â€

WHY????

Ps -The Royal law (The Ten Commandments) is different from the Sacrificial or Ceremonial law. One is written by God; the other is written by moses. One points out sin; the other was added because of sin.

DarcyLu said:
change said:

no, i am implying that Jesus is our Sabbath rest.

you do realize the old covenant was a shadow for the new, right? otherwise, you would need to sacrifice more animals, in addition to following their some 160 other laws.
I don't know what "Jesus=Sabbath rest" means. Could you tell me how that works? Animal sacrifices ended when type met anti-type. I'll tell you what that means, should you like to know. It is also easily googled on the net.

DarcyLu said:
SonByAdoption said:
But my friend, keeping the Sabbath day holy isn't just about going to church. Yes it is a day of rest from worldly talking and worldly tv shows worldly thinking and secular work but it's not for going home and going to sleep.
hi SonByAdoption,
i disagree, Jesus is our Sabbath rest and i am a bit confused about this comment you made, that we should rest from worldly talk, worldly thinking, we are in the world, protected from the world and not of this world, we should not be doing these things at all, not just on any given day.

Yes I know that's the slogan going on. Jesus is our Sabbath rest. So that means that we don't have to keep the seventh day Sabbath even though Paul and the Gentiles did in Acts 13 and they all had Jesus as their sabbath rest but they still kept His ten commandments which He came down personally and wrote with His own finger. The only Sabbath He claimed as His own all throughout the O.T.

But Gentiles today have a better understanding that the Gentiles who Paul originally preached too. right? We are so much wiser now. We can take the Book of Hebrews which was written by a Christian 7th day Sabbath Keeper and written to Christian Sabbath keepers and we can twist it to make it seem like these Christian 7th day sabbath keepers in Paul's day had it wrong. but we have the truth. we have the answer.

But let me answer your original question. When I was talking about worldly talking and worldly thinking and doing worldly things on God's seventh day Sabbath I didn't mean evil things like watching satanic movies and swareing and thinking about hurting someone in my mind.

Because of course doing that any day of the week is evil just like you said. When I said doing worldly things on God's 7th day Sabbath I meant like washing your clothes, and doing dishes, and doing lawn work or going to your job Because on the Sabbath doing regular things that are harmless for six days a week are evil on God's seventh day Sabbath. And when I meant worldly thinking I was talking about thinking about paying your bills on God's sabbath or thinking what you are going to buy at the store or stuff like that. Thinking about anything besides about God and the Bible and stuff. You know holy things. Because it's no sense you getting dressed up and going to church and when your there all you are thinking about is what you are going to be doing as soon as the sun sets because your not keeping the Sabbath in your heart. And it's a heart thing. Just like not lusting in your heart. And not murdering in your heart. You have to keep God's 7th day Sabbath in your heart as well. I hope this clears up some confusion you had about my statment.

I have read the replies to your questions and feel that you have not been given a full and concise answer.

To answer your first question:
When Jesus came He fulfilled all the law. Which is why He cried, "It is finished." when He died on the cross. Our Sabbath is now in Him.
Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
Exo 33:21 And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
Exo 33:22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
Exo 33:23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Joh 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
From these 2 Scriptures we note that as Moses was hidden in a rock cleft to stay safe, and that although Christ was only dead a short time the water in the blood was separated; so we are in Christ and Christ in us, baptized by his blood. Jesus Christ is now our Sabbath and we rest in him. When Jesus was on this earth and also afterwards fellowshipping was not always in a building, nor always on a Sunday. To Christian believers everyday is as a Sunday. Meeting in a Church or building on a Sunday or Sunday or any other day of the week is fine to do for fellowshipping, praising, communion taking, and learning - but keep in mind that this was not a commandment. Stay in the Word with all prayer and neglect not fellowshipping with others, whatever day it is.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Your 2nd question:
You mentioned only a part of what was said in relation to communion.
1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks,he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
1Co 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Firstly, it needs not a priest to partake of communion. What is does need is a heart that is for God. Pentecostals and charismatics do partake of communion for sure, but everyone does so correctly. There are many denominations in the world today and I, (following Elijah's example), follow none of them. There are true believers in them all, but not all of them are true believers. You can partake of communion in your own home and all alone. But do so ALWAYS thinking and concentrating on the sacrifice that Jesus Christ made for us on the cross at Calvary; with a heart desiring to be as perfect in love for others as He is. Say a prayer and bless the communion you have prepared, thanking and blessing Christ for the sacrifice He has made for us, opening the way for your salvation, and also speaking of your desire to become as perfect as He is.

I hope this gives you the answers you seek.
Maranatha

Back