Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sabbath

What day is God's Sabbath?

• The 1st day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The 3rd day

• The 4th day

• The 5th day

• The 6th day

• The 7th day

• There is no Sabbath

• Other

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Featherbop said:
the 7th day...

OMG i MUSt Be A cULt MembER

Check with Henry. He will let you know if you are going to hell or not.

Since Jesus rose from the dead the Covenant of the Law is over and done. That covenant was fulfilled and we now live in a new covenant.

When he speaks of a new covenant, he declares the first one obsolete. (Heb 8:13).

The Law was a times and seasons covenant orderly arranged by the angels. That is why Paul calls the Law a religion of angels. Jesus is above the angels and we are seated with him. These things are under our feet. We no longer need to keep times and seasons according to the heavenly host.

The Sabbath rest of believers is in the coming age.

JMW

JMW --said Check with Henry. He will let you know if you are going to hell or not.

Well is that just dandy, I can not recall telling anyone if they are going to hell. Funny that you are just have to make some sort of insultive remark.

Featherbop--Anways, the bible teaches that Jesus IS our sabbath, the book of hebrews touches on this very topic, my advise is just to sit down and carefully read the book of Hebrews.

And oh yes, ignore this JMW guy he is just too far out there.

By the way, just so you know. I personally do not have any issue with what ever day one thinks he should worhip, but where I do draw that line is when that is made into a salvational issue. And I am very concerned as to the SDA teaching that Sunday worship is the mark of the beast.

Other wise, we are not to judge according to such things.

Hey, you know when it comes "sabbath keepers" I always here the argument that one must keep Gods law, but I know that we all fall short of that every day, and I know the bible says that if we break one law then we are as guilty as though we had broken them all.

Is it not true that part of the sabbath law, was that one could not start a fire? And when you get in your car to go church on the sabbath aren't you starting a fire, several actually,and if you get gas, or go to eat then you are participating in helping others break the law.

So accordingly if you violate any part of that law of the sabbath then aren't you voiding the whole thing.

Just a thought, not trying to make a big deal of this.

I think the Scriptural principle is that we rest one day each week and that this principle was established at creation by God, even before He gave Moses the Law (even though I am an "old-earth creationist" - but that's another thread).

My concern about saying the sabbath rest for the Christian is in the next age is that it could be misused to justify the busy-ness and workaholism that is so rampant in our society (Grab all the gusto in this life - you can always rest in the next one!).

My sabbath rest is Sunday, although I appreciate those who continue to adhere to the Jewish Sabbath and I wouldn't have a major problem with those who choose yet a different day of rest, due to work schedules, etc. What is the pastor's sabbath, I wonder?

I think we've got a lot to learn about resting. This is an area I'm trying to cultivate better into my life.

xsearnold said:
I think the Scriptural principle is that we rest one day each week and that this principle was established at creation by God, even before He gave Moses the Law (even though I am an "old-earth creationist" - but that's another thread).

My concern about saying the sabbath rest for the Christian is in the next age is that it could be misused to justify the busy-ness and workaholism that is so rampant in our society (Grab all the gusto in this life - you can always rest in the next one!).

My sabbath rest is Sunday, although I appreciate those who continue to adhere to the Jewish Sabbath and I wouldn't have a major problem with those who choose yet a different day of rest, due to work schedules, etc. What is the pastor's sabbath, I wonder?

I think we've got a lot to learn about resting. This is an area I'm trying to cultivate better into my life.

Consider:

For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I myself am working." (Jn 5:16-17)

So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God. (Heb 4:9).

JMW

Wow, I thaught every day was the sabbath to the beleivers of the Truth.
:o

fatneckboy

I am with you on that, everyday is the sabbath day when we are in Jesus, He is our rest.

So in him we are always resting, sincs as we learn in Hebrews all the work is done, there is no more work to do.

xsearnold

I agree the sabbath can be any day, that is the day one takes to rest and worship God, mine is Sunday as well.

My issue is not the day, but the teachings that are out there which say that ones very salvation is based on the day they take the sabbath, some actually teach that those who do not take the Saturday sabbath are going to hell, just based on that.

I think far too often what is missed in these sort of talks, is the fact that many times the teaching is attached dirrectly to salvation. That changes it from a secondary issue to an essential error.

Oh and JWM forget that guy, if you have not been reading the stuff this guy is posting, wheyyyy you are in for a ride.

fatneckboy said:
Wow, I thaught every day was the sabbath to the beleivers of the Truth.
:o

In tasting the goodness of the power of the coming age that would be true. Yet Sabbath is our rest and now we work.

JMW

I've never been convinced that the "seventh day" refers to Saturday or ANY particular day. God said that six days we will work and rest on the seventh. What if your seventh day is Wednesday? Is it all all that important what day you hallow? I worship God 7 days a week, and yes, I go to church on Sunday--twice, and on Wednesday night for prayer meeting.. I could just as easily go on Saturday or any other day.

Jon-Marc said:
I've never been convinced that the "seventh day" refers to Saturday or ANY particular day. God said that six days we will work and rest on the seventh. What if your seventh day is Wednesday? Is it all all that important what day you hallow? I worship God 7 days a week, and yes, I go to church on Sunday--twice, and on Wednesday night for prayer meeting.. I could just as easily go on Saturday or any other day.

My view exactly. The idea of "Saturday" being the 7th day comes from Exodus and not Genesis.

Jon-Marc said:

I agree that the rule is the seventh day however I have to say that God has set the day and he moved it from Saturday to Sunday. I would heartily recommend you read http://www.dayone.co.uk/products/books/ ... e-week.htm

For JM: Look at the first Recommendation ;)

Calvin "regarded the external observance of the Sabbath rest as a Jewish ceremonial ordinance and no longer binding on Christians." He said of Sabbatarians that they "surpass the Jews three times over in a crass and carnal Sabbatarian superstition" (p.19). Taken from REDEEM THE TIME – THE PURITAN SABBATH IN EARLY AMERICA by Winton Solberg

http://www.cryingvoice.com/Endtimes/Sabbath2.html

JM said:
Calvin "regarded the external observance of the Sabbath rest as a Jewish ceremonial ordinance and no longer binding on Christians." He said of Sabbatarians that they "surpass the Jews three times over in a crass and carnal Sabbatarian superstition" (p.19). Taken from REDEEM THE TIME – THE PURITAN SABBATH IN EARLY AMERICA by Winton Solberg

http://www.cryingvoice.com/Endtimes/Sabbath2.html

This is where Calvin and I disagree although not too greatly :) There is the story that John Knox went to Geneva to meet Calvin and almost had a heart attack when he found him playing bowls on the Lord's day.

Sermons on Deuteronomy by John Calvin:
1. http://www.reformed.com/pub/jc_sab_1.htm
2. http://www.reformed.com/pub/jc_sab_2.htm

As for me:

Isaiah 58: 13-14 "If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."

Jon-Marc said:

Hi Jon-Marc,

This is what I discovered:

The following references all refer to the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ and show how scriptures records these events:

Matthew 28:1 Now late on the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week . . .

Mark 15:42 And when evening had already come, because it was the preparation day, that is the day before the Sabbath . . .

Luke23:56b And on the Sabbath day they rested according to the commandment .
24:1 But on the first day of the week, at early dawn. .

John19: 42 Therefore on account of the Jewish day of preparation, because the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.
20:1 Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb. . .

So all four gospels agree as to the days concerned:
Preparation day (Friday) Jesus died
Sabbath (Saturday) buried
First day of the week (Sunday) and raised

I see this as significant because the new creation begins on the first day of the week. But there is not hint that this is referred to in any measure or degree as the Sabbath if we take into account the testimony from scripture.

Its good to see that you are thinking about this issue!

In Christ: Stranger

RJS said:
I agree that the rule is the seventh day however I have to say that God has set the day and he moved it from Saturday to Sunday. I would heartily recommend you read http://www.dayone.co.uk/products/books/ ... e-week.htm

For JM: Look at the first Recommendation ;)

Hi RJS,

Did God 'move the day' or was it an 'ecclesiastical' decision? Is the move found in scripture or tradition? This comes up again and again in the forums. . . and from my perspective it doesn't negate Christians worshipping on any day they choose.

Those who are born of the God – who walk by faith – have entered into God’s Sabbath rest. And this is a place of perfect peace – of perfect rest. A place where there is no striving to perform works of righteousness but where these works are the fruit of the Spirit of God of which they are born.

mutzrein said:
Those who are born of the God – who walk by faith – have entered into God’s Sabbath rest. And this is a place of perfect peace – of perfect rest. A place where there is no striving to perform works of righteousness but where these works are the fruit of the Spirit of God of which they are born.

Hi mutzrein,

Against the rest His servant found,
there is on earth no higher ground!

Would you agree that this rest has to be entered experientially before it can be truly known?

stranger said:
Hi mutzrein,

Against the rest His servant found,
there is on earth no higher ground!

Would you agree that this rest has to be entered experientially before it can be truly known?

G'day Stranger

Absolutely mate!

btw - what part of oz are you?

Back