Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Salvation Basics - Eternal life

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Jesus said...
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one. (Jn 10:27–30)​

What is eternal life?
Eternal life is life that has no end. In other words, eternal life does not terminated in death, but keeps going forever.

Where does etermal life come from?
Eternal life comes from Jesus. Jesus has eternal life in Himself (Jn 5:26) and He gives it to whomever He wishes (Jn 5:21). When a person receives Jesus into his heart, he receives the never-ending life that exists in Jesus. If a person has Jesus living in his heart, he possesses His never-ending life. If Jesus does not live in his heart, he does not possess His never-ending life (1 Jn 5:12).

What guarantees eternal life will never end?
Jesus created everything that is created, but He did not create anything more powerful than Himself. With His eternal life in us, and with our lives in His hand, and with His hand in the Father's hand, nothing whatsoever has the ability to bring our lives to an end.

Jesus said...
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one. (Jn 10:27–30)​

What is eternal life?
Eternal life is life that has no end. In other words, eternal life does not terminated in death, but keeps going forever.

Where does etermal life come from?
Eternal life comes from Jesus. Jesus has eternal life in Himself (Jn 5:26) and He gives it to whomever He wishes (Jn 5:21). When a person receives Jesus into his heart, he receives the never-ending life that exists in Jesus. If a person has Jesus living in his heart, he possesses His never-ending life. If Jesus does not live in his heart, he does not possess His never-ending life (1 Jn 5:12).

What guarantees eternal life will never end?
Jesus created everything that is created, but He did not create anything more powerful than Himself. With His eternal life in us, and with our lives in His hand, and with His hand in the Father's hand, nothing whatsoever has the ability to bring our lives to an end.
Thank you, Sir, What are you saying here?

Love, Walter

Can you be more specific?
Yes Sir,
Jesus said...
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one. (Jn 10:27–30)

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking. I quoted 4 verses and adressed three questions that those verses answer. The point of those verses and my post is that eternal life is life that lasts forever, it is possessed by Jesus and He gives it to whomever He wishes, and once a person has eternal life, it lasts forever because God is the One who keeps it from ending in death.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking. I quoted 4 verses and adressed three questions that those verses answer. The point of those verses and my post is that eternal life is life that lasts forever, it is possessed by Jesus and He gives it to whomever He wishes, and once a person has eternal life, it lasts forever because God is the One who keeps it from ending in death.

Exactly, I understand what you are saying, Are you saying that Jesus is GOD? or The Son of GOD? We believe that The Father is GOD, and Jesus is The Son of the living GOD, manifested in the flesh.

Exactly, I understand what you are saying, Are you saying that Jesus is GOD? or The Son of GOD? We believe that The Father is GOD, and Jesus is The Son of the living GOD, manifested in the flesh.
Yes, we believe in the diety of Christ. But I'm posting this in the Soteriology forum on purpose to discuss salvation in particular. Maybe they can add a forum on Christology if there is not one already.

What is eternal life?

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 17:3

Knowing Him is eternal life.

Eternal life is a quality of life rather than a quantity of life.

If a person continues to live on in the lake of fire, being tormented day and night, then the quality of their life is that of torment and suffering.

Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”
Revelation 14:9-11

And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 17:3

If a person continues to live on in the lake of fire, being tormented day and night, then the quality of their life is that of torment and suffering.

Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”
Revelation 14:9-11
Amen

Reactions: JLB

You are right that Jesus was referring to the blessing it is to know God. He was indicating that the greatest blessing of having life that has no end is the fact that living forever gives people an eternity to get to know God better. But even though we will have an eternity to get to know Him, there will always be more to learn. Ten million years from now, we will still be amazed at what we continue to learn about God.
"αἰώνιος", translated here and in John 10:28 as "eternal", means "pertaining to an unlimited duration of time—‘eternal’" (Louw-Nida Greek-English lexicon). Though "eternal life" has a qualitative element as discussed above, it cannot be denied that it is mainly about life that has unlimited duration. This is especially evident in the many passages (such as John 3:15-16 and John 10:28-29) that say a person that has eternal life will never perish.

You are right that Jesus was referring to the blessing it is to know God. He was indicating that the greatest blessing of having life that has no end is the fact that living forever gives people an eternity to get to know God better. But even though we will have an eternity to get to know Him, there will always be more to learn. Ten million years from now, we will still be amazed at what we continue to learn about God.

"αἰώνιος", translated here and in John 10:28 as "eternal", means "pertaining to an unlimited duration of time—‘eternal’" (Louw-Nida Greek-English lexicon). Though "eternal life" has a qualitative element as discussed above, it cannot be denied that it is mainly about life that has unlimited duration. This is especially evident in the many passages (such as John 3:15-16 and John 10:28-29) that say a person that has eternal life will never perish.
Amen

Love, Walter

There is always a balance of truth.

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. John 10:27-28

Jesus teaches us that those who hear His voice and know Him, and follow Him will receive eternal life.

Please see that "knowing Him" was mentioned as a prerequisite to receiving eternal life.

IOW's when we are born again, we are joined to the Lord and have become one spirit with Him. This is eternal life.
This is if fact knowing Him.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. 1 Corinthians 6:17

If we are joined to the Lord, we are joined to the Spirit of Life in Christ, and are one spirit with the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.

This is therefore having eternal life, even though our physical bodies will perish.

However, we must have eternal life in us, in order to be able to walk according to the Spirit, in which we follow, and in the end receive eternal life; life without end.

Please remember it is at the end of our that we receive eternal life (life without end; eternal salvation) not at the beginning.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

If we didn't have His Life in us, we would never be able to endure to the end, to receive the salvation of our souls.

JLB

There is always a balance of truth.

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. John 10:27-28

Jesus teaches us that those who hear His voice and know Him, and follow Him will receive eternal life.

Please see that "knowing Him" was mentioned as a prerequisite to receiving eternal life.
This passage in John makes no mention of us knowing Him. It only mentions Him knowing us. And there are no prerequisites mentioned either. (Web definition of prerequisite: "a thing that is required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist")
IOW's when we are born again, we are joined to the Lord and have become one spirit with Him. This is eternal life.
This is if fact knowing Him.

If we are joined to the Lord, we are joined to the Spirit of Life in Christ, and are one spirit with the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.
Being joined to the Lord and being made one spirit with Him is how we obtained eternal life. And Him living in us is also how we come to know the Lord. In other words, Christ coming to live in our hearts happens first, then as a result of that we have eternal life and we begin to get to know Him.
This is therefore having eternal life, even though our physical bodies will perish.

However, we must have eternal life in us, in order to be able to walk according to the Spirit, in which we follow, and in the end receive eternal life; life without end.
This makes no sense... we must have it before we can walk in the Spirit, but we don't get it until we die.
Please remember it is at the end of our that we receive eternal life (life without end; eternal salvation) not at the beginning.
I think you meant to say, "at the end of our lives", right? If so, you are mistaken...

9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son. 10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. 11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 Jn 5:9–13)​

These words point to God's personal testimony to us that we now possess the eternal life that exists in His Son if in fact He lives in us. And it comes with a terse statement about those who do not believe His testimony.
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 1 Peter 1:6-9

If we didn't have His Life in us, we would never be able to endure to the end, to receive the salvation of our souls.
The wording supports the view that right now, at this very moment, we have already received the end-product of our faith, which is the salvation of our souls. Peter's words give us insight into the things that we experience as the result of the salvation that we currently possess (e.g., loving the Lord Jesus Christ with all our hearts, rejoicing in Him with inexpressible joy, and relishing His glory). They do not point to end-of-life fulfillment.

This passage in John makes no mention of us knowing Him.

If a man "knows" a woman, it's because she "knows" him, it's mutual.

As I said, we are joined to the LORD and are one spirit with Him. It's mutual. They are one.

Knowing is a term of intimacy. The proof a man and woman "know" each other is the fruit.

Mary says it this way -

Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”
Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” Luke 1:30-34

If a man "knows" a woman, it's because she "knows" him, it's mutual.

As I said, we are joined to the LORD and are one spirit with Him. It's mutual. They are one.

Knowing is a term of intimacy. The proof a man and woman "know" each other is the fruit.

Mary says it this way -

Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. 31 And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name JESUS. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. And He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end.”
Then Mary said to the angel, “How can this be, since I do not know a man?” Luke 1:30-34
I had a feeling you were going to make that point but I had no idea you would relate it to having sex with someone.

Good morning NewLifeInChrist, Could you be more specific Sir?

Love, Walter
It does not make sense to say on one hand that we must have eternal life in order to be able to walk in the Spirit (which we are commanded to do here and now) and to say on the other hand that we do not gain eternal life until the end of our life on earth.

I had a feeling you were going to make that point but I had no idea you would relate it to having sex with someone.

Knowing is a Hebrew term of intimacy. It's beautiful.

When we are joined to the LORD and are one spirit with Him, this is knowing Him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back