Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Satan Demoted To An Animal

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

ugmug

Satan Demoted To An Animal

“Get behind me, Satan!”

In Matthew 16:23 and Mark 8:33 Jesus Christ rebuked Satan by saying, “Get behind me, Satan!” What this simple, but short, utterance by Jesus Christ meant for Satan is that Jesus Christ had demoted Satan to be equal in stature to that of an animal (as Satan had appeared in the Garden of Eden).

Consider that when Jesus Christ, who is God become man, was born into this world he was born lower than all the angels. This meant that God, in the person of Jesus Christ, had come into this world even lower in stature than Satan himself.

But when Satan provoked Jesus Christ to utter the words, “Get behind me, Satan!”, Satan immediately lost his highest status and highest stature in heaven. Satan was now placed in a lower stature in heaven than Jesus Christ which meant that Satan, and all who follow Satan, were now even lower in ranking than all of mankind!

Many people believe that Satan is an equal to God, and superior to man. But when Jesus Christ uttered the words, “Get behind me, Satan!”, Satan instantly became lower in stature than all of mankind, equal only to the animals! (hint: Satan as the red dragon in the Book of Revelation!)

Satan knew right then and there that to regain ALL of his lost stature and status in heaven he would have to eliminate Jesus Christ, and eventually ALL of mankind! (hint: Read the Book of Revelation!)

God Bless

Wow friend, that's new thinking for me. How did you come to that conclusion? What is there about "Get thee behind Me Satan" that brought you to this conclusion? I'm curious, not to argue, but interested.

Mat 16:21 ¶ From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Mat 16:22 - Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 - But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Mat 16:24 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.​

Here is how Mat 16:23 looks in the YLT:
and he having turned, said to Peter, 'Get thee behind me, adversary! thou art a stumbling-block to me, for thou dost not mind the things of God, but the things of men.'​

And Mar 8:33 in the YLT:
and he, having turned, and having looked on his disciples, rebuked Peter, saying, 'Get behind me, Adversary, because thou dost not mind the things of God, but the things of men.'​

What I see in these passages is Peter clinging to the Jewish expectation of a militarily victorious messiah rather than the Suffering Servant Jesus was always meant to be. In doing so Peter is placing himself in opposition to the real work of the Messiah, just like Jesus Christ's adversary Satan. So Jesus is telling Peter to fall in line.:twocents

I liked what you said Sinthesis, I was thinking along those lines. I saw Jesus' statement as a rebuke for suggesting that Jesus should not suffer. In saying that, Jesus was saying, "Peter, you're being an adversary right now, stop it."

[QUOTE="ugmug, post: 1043618, member: 801] In Matthew 16:23 and Mark 8:33 Jesus Christ rebuked Satan by saying, “Get behind me, Satan!” What this simple, but short, utterance by Jesus Christ meant for Satan is that Jesus Christ had demoted Satan to be equal in stature to that of an animal (as Satan had appeared in the Garden of Eden). [/quote]
I believe it would be a mistake to think of Satan as being "demoted to an animal" in any context.

In this context, the Lord perceived that Satan had used Peter to speak words which were contrary to the mind of the Holy Spirit ("the things that be of God"). Peter was always impetuous and in this case demonstrated "humanistic thinking" (which many Christians do today). Since Satan was directly behind the suggestion to (a) not only dissuade Christ from His stated objective of dying for humanity, but (b) to literally rebuke the Son of God for His willingness to do so, Christ rebuked Satan directly, and taught Peter a lesson in being constantly on guard. Peter learned this lesson well, as you will note in 1 Peter 5:8,9.

Coming back to the Adversary, he is clearly identified with "that old serpent" who appeared in Eden, as well as the Dragon who is worshiped worldwide, which tells us that Satan is behind every form of idolatry in every nation of the world. Satan's primary goal since his pride and rebellion in Heaven is to ROB GOD OF HIS DUE WORSHIP. He has succeeded admirably, and even in evangelical churches, true worship is being replaced with something else today.

But the Devil is never regarded by God as a mere animal. This angelic being has a tremendous evil intellect and devilish wisdom, an unbridled passion to promote sin and evil constantly and exponentially, and an absolute hatred for God, Christ, and humanity. However, he will never present himself to Christians as a repulsive snake or a fire-breathing dragon. Sometimes as "a roaring lion" (intimidation from within the church, as well as from the world, and circumstances).

Instead he will appear as "an angel of light" (2 Cor 11:13-15). He appeared to Muhammad and Joseph Smith as an angel of light. He presents himself to Christians as a modern apostle, prophet, or pope -- always extremely religious, but always with a deceptive religiosity -- false "ministers of righteousness". This is why the Lord constantly warns Christians not to be deceived. "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR ENEMY". That applies to both modern warfare and spiritual warfare.

Back