Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Bible Study Saul inquires to seek out a medium with a familiar spirit

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
1 Samuel 28:6 And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets. 7 Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and inquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor. 8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

Saul inquires to seek out a medium with a familiar spirit, even after he commanded them to be put them away. Why did he do this, because he was desperate after God cut himself off from him and eventually slew him for coming against God, 1 Chronicles Chapter 10.

God would not answer Saul neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets in whom Samuel was a prophet. The word Urim in vs. 6 means divination as in fortune telling and soothsaying. Saul had to disguise himself so this woman with the familiar spirit would not recognize him as she knew how Saul had all mediums and wizards put out of the land.

When Saul, which the woman did not recognize at first, said to call up Samuel she cried with a loud voice when she saw this familiar spirit come up taking the form of Samuel and also his voice for this is what familiar spirits do as they can take on many forms to deceive us. She cried out as she then knew it was Saul and was afraid he would put her to death for what she had done, but Saul told her not to be afraid.

Even though Saul had asked her to bring up Samuel he never looked at this familiar spirit, but had to ask what form is he of. The woman did not say it was Samuel, but only described him as an old man covered with a mantle. Scripture never says that Saul actually looked at this familiar spirit, but that when it spoke using the voice of Samuel Saul only knew it to be Samuel by the voice that spoke to him as he stooped with his face to the ground and bowed himself.

This familiar spirit used Urim as it looked into the future and told Saul those things we read in 1 Chronicles 10. This is why Saul was so afraid because of the words this familiar spirit spoke to him that he fell straightway having no strength to even stand.

God did not bring up Samuel from the grave to foretell Saul's future as again it states in vs. 6 the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

1 Chronicles 10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to inquire of it; 14 And inquired not of the LORD: therefore he slew him, and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.

A familiar spirit could use the Urim ? I don't see this happening the Urim is of God .
1Sa 28:6 And when Saul enquirer of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

Urim and Thummim in the Bible were gemstones that the high priest of Israel wore on his priestly garment. They were used to determine God's will during critical moments when divine guidance was needed. The stones were used to cast lots as Urim means guilty and Thummim means innocent. God was completely silent against Saul when he enquired of the Lord.

In Exodus 28:30 they were believed to be "seeing stones" used by the high priest to engage in cleromancy discerning the will of God. They were worn as a part of the Hosen attached to the Ephod as the stones were hidden from view.

The Urim in this case was used by the witch of Endor as seeing stones.

Last edited:
Back