Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Saved from what?

J

JJsaint

I think in the Christianity circle there is a lot of talk about Salvation,been saved,getting saved,need to be saved,have been saved or we are saved or unsaved..

Just what are we saved from?

If we are saved or need to be saved then who or what are we saved from?

I think we don't add on the "what" because...well I dunno...maybe we're just too lazy to say "Jesus saved us from eternal death" . Just saying "saved" is quicker and easier but I get your point. It's a good question. hmm...I'll have to think on that....

Saved from hell .... eternal damnation ... sorrow, weeping and gnashing of teeth..

.. forever darkness and burning pit and no light, no bliss, no peace, no joy, no holy presence of God...... :devil :onfire :fight

I think in the Christianity circle there is a lot of talk about Salvation,been saved,getting saved,need to be saved,have been saved or we are saved or unsaved..

Saved, both here and the life everlasting, from life apart from God.

Sin is what separates us from God. Sin has consequences in the physical word and beyond the physical world. Christ is the bridge between a sinful mankind (The world) and a holy (no sin) God of love.

How do you view your salvation?

I think in the Christianity circle there is a lot of talk about Salvation
According to John 3:14-18 and 1John 2:2; Christ gave his life to rescue the whole world from the wrath of God. So then it only stands to reason that the whole world's default destiny is the reservoir of liquefied flame depicted at Rev 20:11-15 plus infestation by a strange species of worm depicted at Isa 66:22-24 and Mark 9:47-48.

I'd advise discretion with your use of the pronoun "we" because not everyone believing themselves a Christian will be spared the two fates I listed above.

†. Mtt 7:22-23 . . Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Master, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many miraculous things? And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you. Depart from me, you that work iniquity.

The Lord's statement doesn't target Atheists, nor Hindus, Buddhists, nor Muslims. No, it targets people exclaiming to have done some pretty outstanding things in "thy" name; in other words: it targets Christians of all denominations; and not just your average rank and file pew warmers either; but the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the celebrities of the Christian world: those who can actually exorcise demons, speak about Christ with amazing effectiveness, and accomplish things that reason can only attribute to the power and providence of God.

Does that suggest anyone you know? How about Mother Teresa? Yes; never assume outstanding performers like Ms. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu eo ipso make it to safety because she and others like her are the very ones in the high-risk category of Christians that Mtt 7:22-23 renounces.

Cliff
/

Saved from hell .... eternal damnation ... sorrow, weeping and gnashing of teeth..

.. forever darkness and burning pit and no light, no bliss, no peace, no joy, no holy presence of God...... :devil :onfire :fight
What seems to have been lost in the church today is the element of our deliverance, our salvation, occurring now in this life.

When we walk in the Spirit we experience the salvation we will take hold of in its fullness when we pass through the judgment. Those who don't walk in the Spirit are destroyed by their envies, or drunkenness, or jealousy, or lusts, or whatever it is that is eating them up and robbing them of the life Christ died to give us now and in eternity.

†. Mtt 7:22-23 . . Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Master, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many miraculous things? And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you. Depart from me, you that work iniquity.

The Lord's statement doesn't target Atheists, nor Hindus, Buddhists, nor Muslims. No, it targets people exclaiming to have done some pretty outstanding things in "thy" name; in other words: it targets Christians of all denominations; and not just your average rank and file pew warmers either; but the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the celebrities of the Christian world: those who can actually exorcise demons, speak about Christ with amazing effectiveness, and accomplish things that reason can only attribute to the power and providence of God.

Does that suggest anyone you know? How about Mother Teresa? Yes; never assume outstanding performers like Ms. Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu eo ipso make it to safety because she and others like her are the very ones in the high-risk category of Christians that Mtt 7:22-23 renounces.

Cliff
/
Jesus said you will know them by their fruit. Meaning the fruit of the Spirit. The things that give us surety and confidence that we possess the faith that saves are the qualities of the Spirit:

"...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control..." (Gal. 5:22-23 NIV1984)

And, of course, compassion, humility, and forgiveness.

These are what give us a true expectation of deliverance on the Day of Wrath, not our doctrines, and our beliefs, and our worship practices...not even our ministries. Few know this. I guess that's why Jesus said 'many' will come to him on that day expecting entrance into the kingdom and will be denied.

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." (Gal. 5:6 NIV1984)

"...what counts is a new creation." (Gal. 6:15 NIV1984)

"5...add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

...be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8, 10-11 NIV1984)

The fruit of the Spirit is how we know we will enter into the kingdom on the Day of Wrath. The mark of the Spirit is not our busy-ness in matters of the kingdom. The mark of the Spirit that ensures our entrance into the kingdom is the qualities of the Spirit as seen in our character. Like I say, few know this.

Jesus said you will know them by their fruit
Most of the time when people cite the Lord's comment about fruit, they typically always neglect to mention that it requires specialized training to judge fruit. In other words: the fruit of the Spirit is easy to imitate; and it is impossible to discern the real McCoy from the fake sans the anointing spoken of at 1Cor 2:9-16 and 1John 2:26-27.

Cliff
/

Most of the time when people cite the Lord's comment about fruit, they typically always neglect to mention that it requires specialized training to judge fruit. In other words: the fruit of the Spirit is easy to imitate; and it is impossible to discern the real McCoy from the fake sans the anointing spoken of at 1Cor 2:9-16 and 1John 2:26-27.

Cliff
/
I was taught all about this through knowing what the fruit is not. Where you see the deeds of the flesh there will be no fruit. It's impossible for both to be expressed at the same time. So where you see thorns (and thus a lack of fruit) there is where you can expect to be dealing with a false brother.

"...land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

9 Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case—things that accompany salvation." (Hebrews 6:9 NIV1984)

Most of the time when people cite the Lord's comment about fruit, they typically always neglect to mention that it requires specialized training to judge fruit.

It is important that you yourself are acquainted with the fruit of the Spirit through your own experience before you can recognize it in other people.

This may not make sense to many people, but the greatest spiritual discernment comes from the knowledge of the fruits of the Spirit.

JJsaint

What do you think Christians are saved from?

FC

Read posts 4,6 and 9

destruction

These all seem different from each other - each answer slightly different....

Leads me to think there is no single answer as to what most Christians are saved from....

If Jesus saved people from the same thing - why is there no single answer to this?

WHAT WE ARE SAVED FROM

In my opinion Christians are saved from not been resurrected.

It goes back to Eden when Adam ate of the Tree.
Adam was not immortal as immortal cannot become mortal

1 Corinthians 15:53:For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Adam lived 930 years and then died the physical death.

The Tree of the Knowledge of good and evil was a law tree placed in the middle of the garden which was a tree which carried a law,the only law it carried was..

Genesis 2:17:But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The serpent was the vessel to eat of the tree,it set up the whole ''enmity'' with the woman.

The Tree of life was God's pledge to Adam that he could have immortality/life/Resurrection after death (Genesis 2:9)

When Adam disobeyed he had the punishments with Eve and the serpent and then finally ejected out of Eden.

Each Adamite will die a physical death.

Man could never get back the restoration right to be resurrected by himself as the Tree was...

Genesis 3:24:So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Adam/Adamites became subject the general law(Mosaic law) - Afterwards.

When Jesus came he walked the earth and when Jesus was crucified and resurrected,he restored that right to be resurrected after death to all men/women.

If the right was not restored each person would die a physical death - and stay dead and not be resurrected,ever.

Romans 5:11:And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

1 John 4:9-10:9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

We do not inherit sin from Adam - All men are sinners
If a baby dies,everyone would agree the baby did not sin therefore no one inherits sin from Adam and Eve.
We inherit death.

Romans 5:12:Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 6:23:For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Ephesians 1:7:In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

What people must not do is confuse Messianic salvation with personal salvation.

For example on personal salvation i.e

Luke 7:50:And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

(saved from her sins)

Luke 18:42:And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee.

(saved from sight/blindness)

The consequences of our sin can be rather horrifying. Satan could terrify us forever simply by reminding us of all the evil things we’ve done and how we are going to suffer because of them.

Jesus saved us from that. We are forgiven. That doesn’t meant the Lord won’t discipline us in an effort to influence us to stop sinning. After all, sin hurts people.

Read posts 4,6 and 9

destruction

These all seem different from each other - each answer slightly different....

Leads me to think there is no single answer as to what most Christians are saved from....

If Jesus saved people from the same thing - why is there no single answer to this?
The word 'destruction' covers all the things people have been saying here. In the Bible, destruction speaks of being removed from the goodness and favor of God in the destruction of the body in actual death, condemnation at the judgment, and in regard to the destruction of quality of life in this age. It's an understanding that the people of God really don't have anymore. We tend to only think in terms of the judgment and the lake of fire, and being 'saved' from that when actually salvation speaks of all aspects of life...this life and the life to come.

The word 'destruction' covers all the things people have been saying here. In the Bible, destruction speaks of being removed from the goodness and favor of God in the destruction of the body in actual death, condemnation at the judgment, and in regard to the destruction of quality of life in this age. It's an understanding that the people of God really don't have anymore. We tend to only think in terms of the judgment and the lake of fire, and being 'saved' from that when actually salvation speaks of all aspects of life...this life and the life to come.

How do you know your not mixing personal salvation with Messianic Salvation?

Saved from what?

Matt 3:7, Luke 3:7, 1Thess 1:10 point to the just wrath of God as what we are delivered and saved from.

1Th 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

God saves us - from Himself unto Himself - by what He does alone - according to what He wills alone - for His purposes alone. Therein, all glory be to God alone. Jeshua.

Back