Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[__ Prayer __] Scared out of my mind!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ewe-turn

For the last three years, I've been taking care of my disabled elderly mother with cancer. I had to quit my job, move and care for her for no pay.

Now she's nearing the end, and I have to be with her all the time. Even with hospice and other family members coming in, everyone still expects me to be here at every possible moment, with no time to myself anymore.

When she passes, I will have no income and no way to pay the bills! I can't just go out and get a job, because of my age, no car, and no relevant work skills. I would need training at the very least, and I don't have any time for that. I'm trying to get some kind of assistance, but that takes time, and I don't even know if I'll be approved.

My family (at least one person in particular, and she's a Christian too) is very critical of me and indicates that it's all my fault that I'm in this situation. Good grief, how??? I honestly believe I'm doing what God wants me to. But if something doesn't work out really soon, I'll have no way to pay the rent and bills! Mom's income covers that, and when she's gone, it's gone too. She has no other money, so I won't inherit anything.

I know we're not supposed to worry, but I really can't help it. I'm trying to trust that something will work out, but it's getting down to the wire, especially when it looks like my family can't or won't take me in if it comes to that.

:pray :crying

Now she's nearing the end, and I have to be with her all the time. Even with hospice and other family members coming in, everyone still expects me to be here at every possible moment, with no time to myself anymore.
Try and focus on your mom, and the time you have left with her. I know how hard this must be, watching someone you love slip away. Cherish every moment, and give her all your love. God knows, and He sees your devotion. He loves You, and your mother.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34

ewe-turn said:
For the last three years, I've been taking care of my disabled elderly mother with cancer. I had to quit my job, move and care for her for no pay.

When she passes, I will have no income and no way to pay the bills! I can't just go out and get a job, because of my age, no car, and no relevant work skills. I would need training at the very least, and I don't have any time for that. I'm trying to get some kind of assistance, but that takes time, and I don't even know if I'll be approved.

My family (at least one person in particular, and she's a Christian too) is very critical of me and indicates that it's all my fault that I'm in this situation. Good grief, how??? I honestly believe I'm doing what God wants me to. But if something doesn't work out really soon, I'll have no way to pay the rent and bills! Mom's income covers that, and when she's gone, it's gone too. She has no other money, so I won't inherit anything.

I know we're not supposed to worry, but I really can't help it. I'm trying to trust that something will work out, but it's getting down to the wire, especially when it looks like my family can't or won't take me in if it comes to that.

:pray :crying

Hi Ewe,
Know that we all have rough times. You are going to be BLESSED for caring for your mother. Stay strong, because God is watching you. Times may seem scary but how you handle it will create your future. Money is so much of the devil sometimes. He tempts us with it and creates problems for us with it.
I would suggest trying to make your mothers last days the best. Take her to the park and be there by her side. You won't regret that.
Have you checked with local businesses to see if they need help. Or perhaps you can use your mothers income to buy things wholesale and sell them? Are you a good cook? You can get a stand or cart?
You have skills, you just have not had that light bulb go off in your head since you are under stress, perhaps. Is it possible to move with your mother to somewhere where you won't need a car and there are more jobs available?
Let's pray that you stay strong and rely on God's guidance. That he will bless you with some Angels here on earth to provide the help you and your mother need-whether it be a job or a stable home. Only you know what you want. Ask God for it and take the necessary steps.
Meeting and talking to new people everyday may bring new options to you. That is what I would do. Network. Also, check for non-profits in your area that might assist with your mother or in another way so that you can find a way to make income. Be happy for what you DO have...

God Bless

The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it. Proverbs 10:22

Thank you for your replies.

In my heart of hearts, I believe that something will work out. God has always provided for me before, so I'm sure He hasn't forgotten me now. He healed me of an unknown heart condition several years ago, one that made me miss school several times and sent me to the emergency room even more times.

The doctors never found out what it was, but did say that something was wrong. Then one day in church, a man sitting in front of me turned around and said that God wanted him to tell me that my heart problem was healed (I had never told this man anything about it, so I know it was God)!

Ever since that time, the problem has been gone, so the healing and message was genuine! :amen :clap

So all that to say that surely God isn't just going to kick me aside now that my job of taking care of mom is almost over. Even so, it is so easy to look at things in the natural and see no hope.

I'm still scared and worried, but I'm calming down somewhat now. SOMETHING has to pull through!

Do like I did, bang harder on doors accept any job no work is harder than hard work.
I did all of this while being a professional drunk, saw mills bailing sawdust in a
wooden box making company where you eat the stuff until you can breath.. :help

But, that's me...

turnorburn

You have a computer, obviously. You might want to start working up a resume and include whatever job it was you had to quit; see if you might get a reference from them. There are loads of resume forms and tips on making them online. My sister found work at well over 50 years old and no experience to speak of either, working reception at a retirement place. She learned very rapidly how to use the internet and how to find a job online. You’re way ahead of where she was at the time! With your experience with your mother, this could make you very valuable working with older people. The past years you have spent have been great experience, so be sure to include that on your resume. As you pray for work, pray for God to place you where He needs you to minister His love to those around you. As you seek first His kingdom, He will take care of all your needs.

In the mean time, we need to get your mind in hand. As long as the devil can keep you in fear, it will undermine your faith, and faith is what God needs in you so He can work for you. When thoughts of fear try to overtake you, you have to combat them with the Word. Say out loud, God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, of love and a sound mind. (2 Tim. 1:7) Say it LOUD. And the more you say it, the more you will believe it. Fear has to go. Here are a few more:

My God shall liberally supply- fill to the full- my every need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:19 Amp.)

I seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness and all these things are added unto me. (Mt. 6: 33)

You will never see the righteous forsaken or His seed begging bread. (Ps. 37:25)

When thoughts of lack accost your mind, remind the devil in no uncertain terms that you are a child of the living God, that you have a blood covenant with Him, and He has promised that He will meet your needs. Then hit him with the Word. The Word is the sword of the Spirit; it’s how Jesus defeated the devil in the Garden of Gesthemane, and it’s how He expects us to do it too. You have favor with God and man (Prov. 3:4 ). You will have favor as you go looking for work. The more you use the Word, the more you believe it and the more it will carry power as it comes out your mouth to change your circumstances.

Father, I pray for this believer, that You meet her needs according to Your riches in glory by Christ Jesus. I pray You give her great grace to deal with her situation now, and favor with man to find a job. I pray, Father, that You lead her by Your Spirit to the right job that will bring you glory. And I pray for the peace of God that passes all understanding to guard her heart and mind in Christ Jesus. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back