Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Scariest passages in the bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
F

Fnerb

I have no reason to lie, I still struggle with sin. In fact, I still at times struggle with the fact that I come to a crossroads and recognize what I'm about to do is a sin, and yet I give in anyway. I'm not proud of it nor do I like it. About the only silver lining I see is that I recognize the sin, thus the Holy Spirit is working.

I must say, in my recent readings, I think I have found one of the scariest passages in the bible...

Hebrews 10:26-27: If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

:oops:

Fnerb, Let's examine Hebrews 10:26 and see what it means. For if we sin wilfully after that we hhave received the knowledge of the truth...... That sin couldn't just be referring to any sin, for if it just referred to any sin, then First John 1:9 wouldn't be true. This verse promises us that if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

Therefore, Hebrews 10:26 is talking about the sin of rejecting Christ. Paul was originally writing to Hebrew Christians in this passage. There's a principle in these verses for all Christians, of course. But in New Testament days, the Jrewish Christians were tempted to go back into Judiasm because of the difficulties of following Christ. Therefore, some of them were tempted to go back to their old life of Judiasm, but to do that they would have to deny that Christ is the Son of God. Hebrews 10:29 says the unpardonable sin is troding under foot the Son of God.

Fnerb, I would suggest that you keep on striving a Godly life, and don't live in fear because fear is the opposite of faith. We all struggle with the flesh, and you shouldn't expect to transform over night. Just strive to do better and it does get better with the help of the Word of God.

May God bless, Golfjack

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Fnerb, Let's examine Hebrews 10:26 and see what it means. For if we sin wilfully after that we hhave received the knowledge of the truth...... That sin couldn't just be referring to any sin, for if it just referred to any sin, then First John 1:9 wouldn't be true. This verse promises us that if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

Therefore, Hebrews 10:26 is talking about the sin of rejecting Christ. Paul was originally writing to Hebrew Christians in this passage. There's a principle in these verses for all Christians, of course. But in New Testament days, the Jrewish Christians were tempted to go back into Judiasm because of the difficulties of following Christ. Therefore, some of them were tempted to go back to their old life of Judiasm, but to do that they would have to deny that Christ is the Son of God. Hebrews 10:29 says the unpardonable sin is troding under foot the Son of God.

Fnerb, I would suggest that you keep on striving a Godly life, and don't live in fear because fear is the opposite of faith. We all struggle with the flesh, and you shouldn't expect to transform over night. Just strive to do better and it does get better with the help of the Word of God.

May God bless, Golfjack

Amen and very well done Jack...... :)

Fnerb, I really can't add allot more to what Jack said, other than to keep reading and mediating on the word....When feeling defeated, read Romans 7 and 8...

Bless you my adelphos....

jgredline said:
....When feeling defeated, read Romans 7 and 8...

Bless you my adelphos....

Hi j,

May I suggest Rom 6 and 8 as in defeat we live out Romans 7! Ironically for once we are not just hearers of the word but doers. While Romans 7 happens to us all I no longer hold it to be the norm for the Christian life.

However, the OP does represent a scary verse because there is a threat. Scripture is full of warnings and threatenings - an admission or recognition that needs to be plainly stated.

stranger said:
Hi j,

May I suggest Rom 6 and 8 as in defeat we live out Romans 7! Ironically for once we are not just hearers of the word but doers. While Romans 7 happens to us all I no longer hold it to be the norm for the Christian life.

However, the OP does represent a scary verse because there is a threat. Scripture is full of warnings and threatenings - an admission or recognition that needs to be plainly stated.

Good point stranger!! and great catch as I misspoke....normally I say, stop living in romans 7 and start living in Romans 8....Thanks for correcting me... :)

Honestly the scariest verse I've ever read in the whole Bible was when God said in Psalms: "Now consider this, you who forget God, Or I will tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver!" (Psalm 50:22). When I think of God personally tearing someone to pieces I think of the most destructive event concievably possible. Who can deliver from God's hand? None!

Ok, How about this one...When I first read it, I thought :o ...This is not just some guy, this is ALL MIGHTY GOD.

The Lord Reveals His Omnipotence to Job
38 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
2 “Who is this who darkens counsel
By words without knowledge?
3 Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer Me.

jgredline said:
Ok, How about this one...When I first read it, I thought :o ...This is not just some guy, this is ALL MIGHTY GOD.

The Lord Reveals His Omnipotence to Job
38 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
2 “Who is this who darkens counsel
By words without knowledge?
3 Now prepare yourself like a man;
I will question you, and you shall answer Me.

Yes, that passage always gave me the same feeling that came over me when I read the Psalms passage I just gave. Actually pretty much all of God's dialogue at the end of Job blows me away. I can litterally picture God booming the most heart sinking words in the OT: Who is this who darkens my council? Yeah....what do you reply to that?

How about this one for the none believer.....

Mt 13:49-50
49 So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just, 50 and cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.â€Â

Fnerb,

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

and

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

and finally:

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Vic,

Did you mean to employ those verses in the context of "shockingly awe-inspiring" rather than the regular definition of "scary"?

cybershark5886 said:
Vic,

Did you mean to employ those verses in the context of "shockingly awe-inspiring" rather than the regular definition of "scary"?
Sorry, I was addressing this from the OP:

I have no reason to lie, I still struggle with sin. In fact, I still at times struggle with the fact that I come to a crossroads and recognize what I'm about to do is a sin, and yet I give in anyway. I'm not proud of it nor do I like it. About the only silver lining I see is that I recognize the sin, thus the Holy Spirit is working.

Yes, they are awe-inspiring, silver lining verses for me... and hopefully for Fnerb. :angel:

Exd 14:13 And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.

Hsa 8:7 For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind...

As much as I can not stand to be around them...as much as I want them all to be saved....

Rom 2:5-6 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Isa 66:3-5 ...... they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose [that] in which I delighted not.
Hear the word of the LORD, ye that tremble at his word; Your brethren that hated you, that cast you out for my name's sake, said, Let the LORD be glorified: but he shall appear to your joy, and they shall be ashamed.

Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord shall enter....

That's scary. As a matter of fact, I think there's something wrong with someone if that passage doesn't scare them enough to make them stop and think!

tim_from_pa said:

That's scary. As a matter of fact, I think there's something wrong with someone if that passage doesn't scare them enough to make them stop and think!

Good one!

Re:

tim_from_pa said:

Agreed

And your thoughts on Philippians 2:12-13?

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyedâ€â€not only in my presence, but now much more in my absenceâ€â€continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Matthew 6:12
Forgive us the wrongs we have done, as we forgive the wrongs that others have done to us.

It may just be the translation and it is the reason I strive to be more forgiving, in fact, than I initially start out, but it still leaves an awful lot of room for forgiving me based on my own standard, which is not quite as high as I could pray for.

On the subject of sin, and taking that passage at face value, yes, it is quite a scary thought that you screw up once, and knowing you screw up, and then doing it again, it can be quite a fearful thing to think about.

But asking for forgivness and accepting the Lord into your heart redeems you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back