Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Science Fiction & Fantasy vs Christian Truth

I love sci-fi & fantasy. My favorite shows are Stargate SG-1, Doctor Who, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. If it has ufos, ghosts, aliens, gadgets, alternative history, etc, I'm all over that! However, I am well aware of how some sci-fi and fantasy can be used to turn people away from Truth- like Harry Potter can be used to indoctrinate kids into witchcraft. I know when I was younger I used to watch "Charmed" because I was at that point practicing witchcraft and it fueled my imagination- because of this I know what to stay away from and what I can handle. If I had kids though, I would probably watch it with them to explain the difference between entertainment and reality. Like when I was a kid and used to watch WWF my parents would explain that these guys were "trained stunt-men" and the stuff they were doing shouldn't be copied because someone could get hurt.
However, where's the line for everyone else? What do you allow yourself to watch and not watch? What about your family?

However, I am well aware of how some sci-fi and fantasy can be used to turn people away from Truth- like Harry Potter can be used to indoctrinate kids into witchcraft.
Can't say I have seen or even heard of this really happening.

I don't get all the fear about Harry Potter, which has a Christian author. It's fiction people.

Dr Who & Sci-fi have always been good entertainment along with some of the older Dracula, Frankenstein, & Wolfman movies. My all-time favorite is the wizard of OZ, and never once have I imagined I was Dorthy's little dog Toto. :shrug

I, personally, feel that many works of fiction (Disney is a good example) promote the belief that "the power" is from within us, and is, in fact, really US.

Dr Who & Sci-fi have always been good entertainment along with some of the older Dracula, Frankenstein, & Wolfman movies. My all-time favorite is the wizard of OZ, and never once have I imagined I was Dorthy's little dog Toto. :shrug
I love "Return to Oz" that was made in the 80s. That and Labyrinth. Both big parts of my childhood.

I have read a couple of Sci-fi novels but I know it is just that Sci-fi.I usually stay away from the stuff.Just like I stay away from television.

I cant say that im not influenced by this stuff. but I do miss a lot of the sci-fi I watched. ie sga and sg1 and trek.

so what is good about the chronicles of Narnia? the trilogy and the Hobbit? they both have magic.

so what is good about the chronicles of Narnia? the trilogy and the Hobbit? they both have magic.

The first Narnia movie was good, the second & third, not so much. I thought the Hobbit trilogy was pretty good. I didn't much care for the ones that came after that.

I cant say that im not influenced by this stuff. but I do miss a lot of the sci-fi I watched. ie sga and sg1 and trek.

Oh yeah! I can't believe I forgot about them. Derp!

It seems to me Christians distinguish between good fantasy (like Narnia) and bad fantasy (Harry Potter). Ones is considered a metaphor of the Christian world view, the other one seduces kids to perform witchcraft.
That makes no sense.

Harry Potter and Charmed have about as much to do with witchcraft, which never existed in the first place, as sausages have to do with riding horses.

Works of fiction are just that. ANYONE who takes them more seriously than just a book, film or video; seriously has mental issues that need professional assistance.

I find very, very, very few people thinking that if they shout stupify they are a witch.

And as for fiction causing you to believe in yourself and your own power, then you need to rip out some scripture, because even Yeshua said to be perfect like The Father.

Is he saying you should be a god? NO. He is saying be the best you, you can be. Believe in yourself, do the best you can, just like The Father.

Paul also has many passages about our powers to heal, raise the dead, speak in tongues and so on. These are powers for being whom we are.

Can't say I have seen or even heard of this really happening.

I don't get all the fear about Harry Potter, which has a Christian author. It's fiction people.
I don't get it either Doulos. I think there are plenty of movies and tv shows out there that can be harmful to a child's (or anyone's) mind, but no matter how hard anyone try's to make a magic wand....it's just not going to work.

I watch anime and read manga, which can include stuff like magic and demons. In fact, two of the series I'm primarily watching/reading currently, each contains these things. (Japan views demons differently than we do, Christianity is not very common at all there.) I keep in mind the cultural differences and know my beliefs well enough to tell when something that contradicts them is being presented.

I like to share stuff I enjoy with my younger brother, but seeing as my mom has pretty strict rules I have to be careful what I share with him. I try to honor her rules.

Well, I grew up with some pretty strict views regarding fiction, especially stuff like Harry Potter...most of which I no longer agree with TBH. But this is based off my own journey. What's fine for me may not be fine for someone else.

My dad was very careful to be sure we knew the difference between fiction and reality. "Just because hitting people with things and people sitting on tacks is funny in Tom & Jerry doesn't mean it's funny in real life. In real life you'd have to go to the hospital."
He was always pointing out inconsistencies and stuff in everything we watched, too. rofl It taught me to think.

Last edited:
Harry Potter is not a real person.
Yes,but can that be confusing to a child?I think much discernment needs to be displayed if you let your Christian children read the books or watch the movies.I know an atheist lady and she loves Harry Potter.She is very disappointed in the movies.She said they started out light and fun but now they have become very dark.And like I said she is an atheist.

Yes,but can that be confusing to a child?I think much discernment needs to be displayed if you let your Christian children read the books or watch the movies.I know an atheist lady and she loves Harry Potter.She is very disappointed in the movies.She said they started out light and fun but now they have become very dark.And like I said she is an atheist.

Have you read the books or seen the movies?

Harry Potter is a witch.I choose to not support the books or the movies.
I totally respect your opinion Kathi. What is it about Harry Potter though? Is it that people might believe that some form of the magic from the movie could be done in real life and as a result cause one to doubt God?

Back