Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Scowly Old Ladies!

LILAC*

This is something I have noticed for several years now as hubby and I approach our 30th anniversary this winter. When we're out and about, I notice that older ladies gravitate towards my husband and try to get a smile or a look from him. When he doesn't respond to them, they then scowl at me! Not only do they do this to me, but also our daughter. It's baffling to see, really. Are these ladies so entitled that they think they're deserving of all men to be smiling at them? It's really annoying because it happens alot more than it seems it should.

Do I say something to them? Do I scowl back or just laugh at them? Also.... what to do with the flirty waitress? I dread eating out anymore because this has also gotten ridiculous. Is it me, or is it the world in general going absolutely crazy?

This is something I have noticed for several years now as hubby and I approach our 30th anniversary this winter. When we're out and about, I notice that older ladies gravitate towards my husband and try to get a smile or a look from him. When he doesn't respond to them, they then scowl at me! Not only do they do this to me, but also our daughter. It's baffling to see, really. Are these ladies so entitled that they think they're deserving of all men to be smiling at them? It's really annoying because it happens alot more than it seems it should.

Do I say something to them? Do I scowl back or just laugh at them? Also.... what to do with the flirty waitress? I dread eating out anymore because this has also gotten ridiculous. Is it me, or is it the world in general going absolutely crazy?

LoL!

Well, hang in there sister : ) This is likely a spirit that is driving these women, specifically to target you. Whenever you see patterns like this it is usually not an accident but something the enemy is deliberately trying to drive home in an effort to create division between you and your husband.

Just kick the enemy in the teeth with it. Say something nice to your husband and then lean over and kiss him on the cheek and then grin back at them, LoL. Tap him on the hind end and let them know who it belongs to. :)

What would be super nice is if hubby did that to me! lol I'm the one who's always trying to cover for any of the flirts out there. A switch would be great!

It's just so weird that these are old grannies, though. We've had to deal with this for a long time. When we were out in a restaurant over the weekend he got a "free drink" from the waitress even though he didn't even drink it. He was the only one being spoken to, as well. I know waitresses often flirt for extra cash, but that is just not OK. Told hubby to just stop tipping all together. Pretty sure it's already in the massive price inflation, anyway. The flirting just sours the entire eating out experience.

What would be super nice is if hubby did that to me! lol I'm the one who's always trying to cover for any of the flirts out there. A switch would be great!

It's just so weird that these are old grannies, though. We've had to deal with this for a long time. When we were out in a restaurant over the weekend he got a "free drink" from the waitress even though he didn't even drink it. He was the only one being spoken to, as well. I know waitresses often flirt for extra cash, but that is just not OK. Told hubby to just stop tipping all together. Pretty sure it's already in the massive price inflation, anyway. The flirting just sours the entire eating out experience.

No idea what else to tell you.

Maybe work the waitresses to death so they avoid both of you from now on, LoL. Act like you wish to be treated like royalty. When she brings the appetizer, say, "Oh, and I'd like some more napkins please," and then when she returns with the napkins say, "I'm sorry, I need a new fork. This one looks dirty. Maybe a couple just I'm case," and then when she returns with the forks say, "My husband has requested that we be moved to a different table if it's not too much trouble. Oh! and I need a different drink. This one tastes funny... and could you wear a different outfit maybe? That one makes you look like a tart." :)

Note: Maybe do all this only after she has served you your food. :thumb

The saying goes "kill them with kindness". The both of you and your daughter just need to smile back and wish them a good day. Way back in the day a woman would walk past a man as she smiled at him and he would tip his hat and smile back as a greeting. It meant nothing for the most part. As long as you and your husband are secure in your love for each other then don't worry about it. As far as the flirty waitress I would report her to the management as that is so inappropriate.

Maybe the old ladies need to realize that we don't live in those quaint older days anymore. lol My husband is super friendly to most and I think women in general, pick up on this. It's one of his very annoying traits. Like, dude, you don't know them and you don't owe them your winning smile! I know we're to entertain strangers and I've seen how many are probably fallen angels. So be aware!

The restaurant was so quiet that day and there weren't many people in there, so we really didn't want to raise a fuss if we didn't have to, so we just left what we had, paid for it and got up to leave. I know it seems wasteful, but I think that also sends a message without being obnoxious about it. I understand waitresses need an income, but they need to think more about their morals. What is OK and what is not. Do we pay to flirt with other's spouses? I don't think so.

I think its not a problem to smile at passers by unless they are trying to ruin your relationship. It seems you have haters who are jealous of your companionship. I know how that feels. To be scowled at and hated by strangers. Just keep walking. As long as your husbands eyes stay on you most of the time. There are no issues.

Back