Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] sea of forgetfulness, prayer

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Micah 7:19 reads (KJV, only way to fly): "He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea."

My older, wiser Pentecostal friend started telling me that I should remind myself that, upon repentance, God cast my sins into the "sea of forgetfulness." At the time, I was praying that God would help *me* bury *my* past at the Foot of The Cross.

Spot the Baby Christian mistake yet? Took me a minute (read: months) to do so. See, it dawned on me that we don't forget ourselves. We don't bury our past. That's therapy, not Christianity.

God forgets. God forgives. We agree.

So, that's what I've been praying for--whatever it takes to agree with God that my past is now in the sea of forgetfulness. And it works! Its not like some magical chant or therapy maneuver; its just agreeing with God.

I guess this is a praise (?). This has been a sort of mini-breakthrough for me, honestly. I spent years in bad therapy/counseling/self-help, so I've also asked God to "decolonize" my mind, purge me of psychobabble, and help me view Him as who He is, not just as a therapist with lots of power. It works!

Another cool thing God's done for me: moral compass. Never been the most moral creature. Immoral, yes, but in an "amoral" sort of way, you know? Like, childish, selfish sort of immorality. I've lately taken to praying for a heart of flesh, not of stone and to be "conformed unto the image of Christ Jesus."

I know this isn't magic or the occult. Its not like you say certain words and everything's OK. I read somewhere that prayer changes you, the Christian, in a big, big way...you just don't really notice it at the time. I'm starting to notice it. I actually get a sense that God is putting things on my mind/in my heart sometimes. Never had that before. I mean--hate to bring this up--but I've been involuntarily electroshocked, 2 rounds (20+23). That sort of thing strips you of a lot of your humanity. Now, with an increasingly right relationship with Christ Jesus, I feel...human. Distinctly, totally, completely human. Flaws, sins and all.

You're right, Christ_empowered : Your post is one of praise! Our Lord continues to bring about the 'new & improved' you! And it is certain that your older, wiser Pentecostal friend is doing precisely the work with you that Our Lord is directing your friend to do.

"Sea of Forgetfulness" .... what a lovely way of phrasing the process where we pray for forgiveness and our Lord forgives us, thereby allowing us to forgive and to forget what's done & over with. (Brilliant phrase: 'Sea of Forgetfulness'!)

Thanks for sharing this with us, my friend. It is an excellent reminder to us each :wave2

God does forgive, but what is done is not forgotten. Being cleaned from all sin, does not hold any sin to your account, but it does not mean automatic promotion, since the sin is gone.

If the Body of Christ knew how great God's blessings were, then there would be no sin. Jesus said a person who is faithful in a little, more is given. One must still prove they can walk away from that same sin.

Micah 7:19 reads (KJV, only way to fly): "He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea."

My older, wiser Pentecostal friend started telling me that I should remind myself that, upon repentance, God cast my sins into the "sea of forgetfulness." At the time, I was praying that God would help *me* bury *my* past at the Foot of The Cross.

Spot the Baby Christian mistake yet? Took me a minute (read: months) to do so. See, it dawned on me that we don't forget ourselves. We don't bury our past. That's therapy, not Christianity.

God forgets. God forgives. We agree.

So, that's what I've been praying for--whatever it takes to agree with God that my past is now in the sea of forgetfulness. And it works! Its not like some magical chant or therapy maneuver; its just agreeing with God.

I guess this is a praise (?). This has been a sort of mini-breakthrough for me, honestly. I spent years in bad therapy/counseling/self-help, so I've also asked God to "decolonize" my mind, purge me of psychobabble, and help me view Him as who He is, not just as a therapist with lots of power. It works!

Another cool thing God's done for me: moral compass. Never been the most moral creature. Immoral, yes, but in an "amoral" sort of way, you know? Like, childish, selfish sort of immorality. I've lately taken to praying for a heart of flesh, not of stone and to be "conformed unto the image of Christ Jesus."

I know this isn't magic or the occult. Its not like you say certain words and everything's OK. I read somewhere that prayer changes you, the Christian, in a big, big way...you just don't really notice it at the time. I'm starting to notice it. I actually get a sense that God is putting things on my mind/in my heart sometimes. Never had that before. I mean--hate to bring this up--but I've been involuntarily electroshocked, 2 rounds (20+23). That sort of thing strips you of a lot of your humanity. Now, with an increasingly right relationship with Christ Jesus, I feel...human. Distinctly, totally, completely human. Flaws, sins and all.
Very nice and poetic as always, if I was a zombie your brain would be the juiciest.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back