Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Secular Music

Is all secular music sinful? No. Is a majority of it sinful? I believe yes if you really take an honest look at the lyrics.

Before I became a believer, I had about 250 CDs worth of music. Mostly hard rock and metal. After becoming saved, and a period of 2-3 years of maturing, I began to go through the CDs and toss out what was explicit, offensive, ect.

The more I really started to analyze the lyrics behind the music the more I realized that God doesn't want us filling our minds with sinful, non-edifying, things that are contrary to his word.

At the end of the day, out of those 250 CD's, I only kept about 10. I've bought a few new CD's in the past few years but only Christian artists. My thinking it if believers don't support Christian music it certinally won't be supported by secular people buying them. I can enjoy the Lord and music about him which I know he would approve of and it's lifting up his name.

Is all secular music sinful? No. Is a majority of it sinful? I believe yes if you really take an honest look at the lyrics.

Before I became a believer, I had about 250 CDs worth of music. Mostly hard rock and metal. After becoming saved, and a period of 2-3 years of maturing, I began to go through the CDs and toss out what was explicit, offensive, ect.

The more I really started to analyze the lyrics behind the music the more I realized that God doesn't want us filling our minds with sinful, non-edifying, things that are contrary to his word.

At the end of the day, out of those 250 CD's, I only kept about 10. I've bought a few new CD's in the past few years but only Christian artists. My thinking it if believers don't support Christian music it certinally won't be supported by secular people buying them. I can enjoy the Lord and music about him which I know he would approve of and it's lifting up his name.

Car Guy:

Much of what you say I would generally agree with, I think.

Sometimes some music is more deeply 'secular' than others. Some Christian music, to the uninitiated ear can even seem more 'secular' than certain of the more tuneful music that is not specifically Christian.

Some music sounds like it would accompany exotic performances in a bar. If this is what is meant by secular, I can understand it. Sometimes I have difficulty in distinguishing what sounds like secular music and what is supposed to be Christian.

Back