Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Shaving body hair

Nataliya

I am wondering about what the Bible says about shaving armpit hairs for girls and if it is necessary to do?

I am new to being a Christian so I am unsure about a lot of things.

I ask this because I get bullied for having armpit hair even from my parents and I hate that but also I am scared to shave (this is silly I know), and also because I think God probably made it that way for a reason.

I am wondering about what the Bible says about shaving armpit hairs for girls and if it is necessary to do?

I ask this because I get bullied for having armpit hair even from my parents and I hate that but also I am scared to shave (this is silly I know), and also because I think God probably made it that way for a reason.
There is nothing Biblical that I am aware of. Like shaving their legs, it is a societal standard that began about 100 years ago when women's fashion began exposing legs and armpits more.

Armpit hair can benefit us in various ways. Appearance is subjective, but if (like neckline hair) armpit hair is a little too blessed, a moderate trim is fine. Procreation kicks out many variations - that's nature.

I am wondering about what the Bible says about shaving armpit hairs for girls
Nothing. It is not mentioned at all.

The only thing written in the bible about hair is that men are not to trim the corners of their beards; and that women should have short(er) hair and women long(er) hair. This was specifically to easily tell between the genders.
and if it is necessary to do?
No. Shaving is a western cultural thing and many cultures do not shave. There is a growing trend in western culture to not shave the pits.
Welcome to the Faith! You will find many "requirements" are not from the Bible but are cultural norms. So how much you follow the culture is up to you.
I am sorry you are being bullied. You said in your welcome thread that you are from a Jewish family and many family members are atheist. In Judaism, at 13 you have become a full adult and are responsible for your own decisions and practices.

As to the reason, Vinny37 was right in saying that armpit hair serves a purpose in both men and women. Body hair in thick patches (other than on the head or face) is in places where there are glands that produce pheromones - air born hormones; meant to attract a mate. The hair holds on to the unscented chemicals and releases them at a slow rate.

No, shaving is not necessary to Christian living. But it is a kindness to others. If I didn't regularly trim the hair from my nose and ears, I'd frighten children half to death, I think, with the jungle of hairiness that would protrude from both! Yikes! My wife would have something to say, too, about the shrubbery growing out of my nose and ears, if I neglected to keep them in check. And so, I take pains to trim my noggin regularly.

God made us to become smelly, and greasy and rashy, if we don't have a shower regularly. Should we not bathe, then, since this is the way God made us to be? Should we go about stinking to high heaven, our body slimy with weeks of our accumulated natural excretions, because God made our bodies to grow smelly, and sweaty and grimy? I'm sure you'd say not.

There are all sorts of alternatives to a razor, you know, with which to shave.

If I didn't regularly trim the hair from my nose and ears, I'd frighten children half to death, I think, with the jungle of hairiness that would protrude from both! Yikes! My wife would have something to say, too, about the shrubbery growing out of my nose and ears, if I neglected to keep them in check. And so, I take pains to trim my noggin regularly.
:hysterical

I know what you mean.

Yes as others previously mentioned the only scriptures that I know of pertaining to shaving are that women should not shave her head, and men should not shave the beard. The beard thing is rather heavily debated in the Messianic side, but most Christians agree that a woman's hair is her covering and her glory. Rest in Christ Jesus my dear sister. We are given liberty in many things, so you are good in this respect. May God Almighty bless you and yours my beloved sister in Christ.

Back