Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Short study on Elders in the Church

C

charlesj

God ordained that the local church should be overseen in its work and worship by men qualified for this special task.
These men are known as elder or bishops. Their special assignments are due to the Lord’s directives for the church as revealed in the New Testament. They are NOT the authority, but rather have the authority to lead the congregation in the decisions to carry out the commands of Christ.

There are three Greek words in the Greek New Testament which are translated by six English words.

1. “PRESBUTEROS†- translated “presbyter,†or “elder.†This word actually means oneâ€Âadvanced in life, an elder, a senior.†This shows the dignity of the office.
2. “EPISKOPOS†(epi = over, skopos = scope, we get our English word “scope†from skopos, like on a rifle) Translated “bishop or overseer.†The word is defined as “an overseer, a man charged with the duty of seeing that things by others are done rightly, any curator, guardian, or superintendent.
3. “POIMEN†Translated “pastor or shepherd.†Though the word is found some eighteen times in the Greek New Testament, it is translated “pastor†only one time in the English Testament. (see Eph 4:11)

Though the terms “bishop†and “pastor†convey to many minds distinct offices or even different levels of authority among various religious groups, they are, nonetheless, speaking of the same office or group of men.

In the Book of Acts, all three of these Greek words are used in Acts 20:17-28.

Acts 20:17-28 17 And from Miletus he sent to Ephesus, and called the elders (presbuteros) of the church.
18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
25 And now, behold, I know that ye all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more.
26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers(episkopos), to feed (poimaino) the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

In verse 17 Paul calls to him “the elders of the church†at Ephesus. The same verse says that they met him at Miletus.
Beginning at verse 18, the apostle addresses the elders and his address is recorded through verse 35.

In verse 28 Paul is yet speaking to these elders and charges them†“…take heed unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers (some Bible versions translate “Bishops†here instead of “overseers.â€Â)

The Greek word “poimaino†is translated “feed.†This is the VERB form of “poimen†which is translated “shepherd or pastor.â€Â

From this writing in Acts you can see that shepherds shepherd flocks, and pastors pastor sheep. The noun and the verb can be translated in the same way. You might say, feeders feed.

But my point is that to “feed†is actually to “pastor,†or to “shepherd,†and this ia what the apostle tells the elders of the local church to do.

The elders (PRESBUTEROS) or bishops/overseers (EPISKOPOS) are to feed (POIMAINO) the church.
All three Greek words are used in speaking of the same group of men. They are not to be distinguished from each other. .

The elders, older qualified men, are bishops(overseers) who oversee the church, or who pastor the flock of God as spiritual shepherds. The word translated “feed†does not mean to teach anymore than it means to protect or to bring those who stray.

In First Peter we have the three Greek words used again:

1 Peter 5:1-2 KJV 1 Peter 5:1 The elders (PRESBUTEROS) which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed: Feed (POIMAINO) the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight (EPISKOPOS) thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

As you can see, Peter shakes hands with Paul and agrees with him on the use of these Greek words in that elders, bishops or overseers and pastors are the same.

PREACHERS ARE NOT PASTORS! The New Testament does NOT refer to its eveangelist or preachers as pastors. This is a denominational misuse of the term. Nor is there a difference between and evangelist and a gospel preacher a man who preaches for a local church as Timothy did at Ephesus.

In Eph 4:11 where “POIMEN’ (noun form of the verb, POIMAINO) in the English translation (KJV) POIMEN is translated “pastor.â€Â

Ephesians 4:11 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors (POIMEN) and teachers;

There is a very clear line of distinction between eveangelists and pastors. An evangelist is a preacher and a pastor is an elder.
God set the New Testament church up with eleders (plural) to oversee the group, a minister and deacons (to serve). This is the government as set up by the Lord.

The distinction between pastors, which we know are elders, and evangelists as clearly revealed in Eph 4:11 is glossed over by denominational tradition and usually is explained in this manner: a traveling preacher is an evangelist, but a local preacher is a pastor. Of course, there is no Bible proof. Just tradition!

Your servant in Messiah, Yahshua
charlesj

Back