Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should Christians get marriage counseling?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
D

Dave Slayer

Should Christians get marriage counseling? Is it Biblical?

I'm not sure what the Bible says about it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't speak against it. I think it can help. It would also help to get Christian marriage counselling.

I believe that counseling is good if done with a christian counselor who will not lead you down the wrong path. When my brother died, my mom tried to get my dad to go to counseling with her and he wouldn't. In the long run, it cost him his marriage.

My husband and I went through pre-marital counseling before our pastor would marry us. I'm glad we did.

Even getting advice for a Godly couple who lives in the Spirit and (we should all have a good Godly couple to look up to) will not lead you astray can be a good idea.

However, we must enter into it with the mindset that we are building one another up...not taking sides to win a war. In marriage, you are a team, not enemies.

I hope that helps.

If it helps two people truly commit to one another and keeps them from going astray, why not? Nothing seen yet scripturally to be against it.

Caroline and I sought a Pastor for marriage Counseling. You need to be taught how to live in many other aspects of life too, so why would marriage, one of the most important relationship in a person's life be any different?

my husband and I read a book called the bait of satan together everynight. It really helped. I think it is important that you have someone that has been where you are . we all go through simular situations in the begining and all through our marraige.

Dave Slayer said:
Should Christians get marriage counseling? Is it Biblical?
Couldnt hurt.
And it may help to spot the trouble areas early on. Such as the delusion that marriage is like a Disney film.

I think marriage counseling could be great. It gives a chance to vent with a neutral couple that has gone through the same things as you and how to get over it. I think it is only best when it is from Christians. I don't believe it has to be a certified therapist. I don't think going to school makes you qualified to know what to do or what you may be going through.

follower of Christ said:
Couldnt hurt.
And it may help to spot the trouble areas early on. Such as the delusion that marriage is like a Disney film.
It's not like a Disney movie? What's with all the little forest animals helping my wife with the dishes?

I think it is a good idea, there may be some ? that you may have etc. But make sure it is a respectable and highly recommended pastor. My cousin said he and his wife ended up feeling awful after their friends pastor counseled them; he went a little to far in his teachings.

As a Pastor I will not Preform a Wedding without Pre - Marriage Counseling. While the Bible does not tell us to have "Marriage Counseling" it does tell us to seek counsel.

When Israel did not take Counsel from God it was trouble (every time).

Psa 106:43 Many times did he deliver them; but they provoked him with their counsel, and were brought low for their iniquity.

Psa 107:11 Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:

Kings sought Counsel (and sometimes didn't listen to it)

1Ki 12:6 And king Rehoboam consulted with the old men, that stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, and said, How do ye advise that I may answer this people?
1Ki 12:7 And they spake unto him, saying, If thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever.
1Ki 12:8 But he forsook the counsel of the old men, which they had given him, and consulted with the young men that were grown up with him, and which stood before him:

We are encouraged to seek Counsel individually.

Pro 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Pro 15:22 Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.

Receiving Counsel assist us in developing wisdom:

Pro 19:20 Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.

Counsel assist us in establishing our homes:

Pro 24:3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
Pro 24:4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
Pro 24:5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.
Pro 24:6 For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.

In Christ Service

Your Pastor T

Back