Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Should I have gotten a refund ? Plse help.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I had a distressing event happen today. I went to return an open bottle (by me) of supplements back to the store I bought it from. I was at the store 2 days before, returning an unopened bottle of the same supplement, which I got a refund for, and having to do some pushing to get it.

The day I got a refund for that bottle, the owner took my opened bottle and poured a whole slew of the supplements into their hand to show their partner the quality of the supplement. I was aghast that they would do that, considering they had not promised to refund my money yet. It made me think inside myself at that moment that I would have to now.

After the partner had inspected them they then tried to give me reasons for not giving me a refund. I caved a bit (being nice) and said that at least they should give me a refund for the unopened bottle. I thought he wouldn't give me a refund AT ALL ! With some pushing they gave me the refund for the unopened bottle.

I left the store and as I got into my car to drive away, it occurred to me that even if I wanted to consume my unopened bottle of supplements (which I brought back with me), I would not be able to take them, because one of the owners had contaminated it with pouring it into their palm! I could have kicked myself...............
I had forgotten all about that, but the store was so jam packed with customers that day, and the owners were so busy and rushed/nervous that just getting the refund for the unopened bottle after waiting almost 20 minutes to get my turn and getting out of there was a victory ! It also had been a long day for me, returning of the item was one of the last errands I did that day. As I sat in my car, I pondered whether to go right back to the store, but just couldn't make myself, thinking about all the people in the store, and having to wait more... I therefore promised myself I would go back the next day.

The next day the store was closed. So I went the day after. Luckily, the same co-owner was working and it wasn't busy. When I approached them and explained to them about what happened and how I couldn't possibly take the supplements, I thought for sure they would understand and realize it was an oversight, a mistake To my shock, the owner flatly denied it ,and said they didn't pour out the supplements. They said it 2x. Perhaps they meant that they didn't pour them out into their hand, because then they said that they poured them out, but into the cap of the bottle, and that is what they 'always' do, 'all' the time.

Basically, it turned out to be my word against theirs. They kept insisting that what I was saying was not true. They never made any measure to give me - a long time customer and 'friend' - a refund .

As our conversation hit a brick wall, I told them I was going to give them the supplements because they are theirs now (as they touched the supplements) They told me they didn't want them. They said if I didn't want them, I should throw them away myself! I said 'no'.. I said that I was going to leave the supplements with them, to prove to them that I am honest and that I am 100% sure of what happened that day. The owner was very cool this day compared to the day of the incident, and just looked at me seemingly undisturbed by my complaint. Seeing no resolution, I put the bag of supplement on their counter and left out the door. They let me walk out.

Later while sharing this story with a close friend they told me that I should have gone back to the store right away, however, there is no guarantee that they would remember a different scenario.

This is one of those bad situations that turn out horribly. It is a shame that I did not remember to speak up as it was happening, but life is not perfect. I don't expect the owner to be perfect. They made a mistake. However, with them not offering a refund ($29) they have lost me as a customer in them wanting to be right.

I would be appreciative of any feedback, on namely, whether they should have given me a refund ?

Thanks

I bought a subway sandwich the other day and the guy put it right next to a dirty sponge. (That it was touching it) So I gave it to the birds, I don't worry about things like that unless the item is expensive. Then when I do I return the item on the day, so the transaction is fresh in my mind.

MS,
You were "aghast", but you took the bottle back anyway?

BTW, neither of you have ever worked in the food industry, have you? Some advise? Don't.

I don't know what the rules are in your area, but here in Iceland, they won't take anything back. I tried to return some prescription drugs once that it turned out I didn't need. They had put the drugs in a little paper bag and stapled it shut, with the receipt stapled onto it. The bag was still unopened, with the receipt still on it, but they wouldn't take it back anyway. They told me that's the rule. Drugs are non-returnable. I imagine supplements are as well. And whether it be supplements or anything else, I wouldn't ever even try to return anything I had already opened, unless it was defective.

The TOG​

Poetofparables, I totally get that. My current situation is one of disability. I receive very little income. The $30+(tax) was a loss to me. I was thus more distressed over a messy situation like this. I have known the store and the owners for many many years and have bought many supplements there. I guess that made it more personal. My mother told me of a situation many years ago, where a customer who she cut her hair, came back into the store, and complained that she did not like the way my mother cut her hair. It was a 1st time customer. My mother did not burn her hair, cut a hole in her hair, didn't damage her hair in any way etc.. The customer just didn't like it. It only ever happened once in my mother's career. Well, the owner gave the customer her full money back, but also told her to never come back. I thought that was really nice of her to do that considering the situation.

Willie T. Yes, I was aghast. You know I was thinking about that moment a little more last night because I was really kicking myself for not speaking up there and then. But you know things happen so fast. I think that it really only 1/2 registered in my brain what happened and that may be part of the reason why I did not speak up about it while in the store. As I said the store was jam packed and the owners were stressed. I think that is validated by the fact that the owner 1st denied that she even took out the supplements to show to their partner. The fact that the owner was hesitant to even give me a refund for even the sealed supplement I think threw me off. I backed off and tried to at least get a refund on that. The part about the owner touching the supplements, left my focus. Even as I left the store I was so happy I got my refund and then I remembered the opened bottle. I remember thinking that I would use it even if I didn't think it was good quality. It wasn't until I got into the car that it really registered that there was no way I could take it because it was contaminated.

I actually was shocked that they had not remembered they had taken the supplements out. lol It threw me for a loop. Perhaps I could have communicated better with them but well that is water under the bridge now !

Willie T, I have worked in the food industry as a dishwasher so I saw what went on in the kitchen. I really only ever saw one incident that was eyeball popping. lol

Even so, it shouldn't discount my concern and complaint. There is no way any of us would KNOWINGLY take supplements that have been touched by someone else's hand, even if nothing would happen to us (which we don't know).

Hi TOG. That is very unfortunate you could not get a refund on your medication especially since it was visible it had not be opened. It's possible that there are legal legislations in place for drugs. I have no idea what would happen if that happened here. I live in Canada. That is horrible you cannot return anything in Iceland. Here in Canada you can return almost anything. Nothing comes to mind right now where I have ever been refused a refund except some some very few places. They would likely be small family owned businesses like the Health food store (they have 4 stores to my knowledge) of my complaint. I have even been able to return used makeup and other used items. Most of the time I buy my supplements at Whole Foods or another larger health and grocery store. The times I have returned things are very few and far between. It is rare. But in any case, every time I did return something, I had no problems getting a full refund. No questions were asked. I did not have to fight or push for it.

Last edited:
Hi TOG. That is very unfortunate you could not get a refund on your medication especially since it was visible it had not be opened. It's possible that there are legal legislations in place for drugs. I have no idea what would happen if that happened here. I live in Canada. That is horrible you cannot return anything in Iceland. Here in Canada you can return almost anything. Nothing comes to mind right now where I have ever been refused a refund except some some very few places. They would likely be small family owned businesses like the Health food store (they have 4 stores to my knowledge) of my complaint. I have even been able to return used makeup and other used items. Most of the time I buy my supplements at Whole Foods or another larger health and grocery store. The times I have returned things are very few and far between. It is rare. But in any case, every time I did return something, I had no problems getting a full refund. No questions were asked. I did not have to fight or push for it.

It's not quite true that you can't return anything. You can return most things, such as electronics, clothing, books and other things, but not drugs and probably not supplements either, although I've never tried returning them. Most places will probably refuse to take back anything that has been opened or used. We even have consumer protection laws that require stores to take back certain things if they are returned within one week.

The TOG​

most electronic parts for cars once sold and opened cant be refunded. ie I buy a fuel pump and install its under warranty but if its a sensor? no warranty.

most electronic parts for cars once sold and opened cant be refunded. ie I buy a fuel pump and install its under warranty but if its a sensor? no warranty.

I was thinking more of home electronics, such as radios, computers, TV's and so on.

The TOG​

Thanks for the clarification, Tog. Glad to hear you can return most things. :)

I forgot to mention that some of our stores (usually the big stores) here now give out cards. They look like credit or debit cards. They put the amount of the refund on it, and then you can buy something else with it later on down the road. Usually it doesn't have an expiry. But anyways, that way they have satisfied you, and they don't lose any money (unless you decide to not use the card, or can't use it for whatever reason).

I just wanted to point out that this wasn't about being angry that I didn't get a refund for an *opened* bottle of supplements. ( I think that if I would have held my ground in the beginning there may have been a good chance I would have also gotten it,but I forgot about it in my dealings to get a refund for the *unopened* bottle.)

The main thing that I am upset with is that the owner irresponsibly took MY supplements and contaminated them with dumping them in their hands while showing their partner.They were doing that because they wanted their partner to discern whether it was a good product before they decide they should give me the refund. The fact that the 1 owner denied that they did that ,when I know they did, really stung. This was an issue of injustice. That's really what brought me to write about it..

I really do believe the owner should have given me a refund, even if she didn't agree with me. Considering I was a long time customer and we had known each other for a long time. (She knows i wouldn't lie about something like that and because she could not remember.) Just like how my mom's boss gave the customer her money back because because she didn't like the hair cut.

I prayed about it last night if it was God's will that it would come to them that they did touch my supplements and that they would call me (they have my ph#) but I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure what I could have learned from this situation other than I just make sure I buy things like that from places I know will give me a refund without me having to give any reason. In light of what happened, I will certainly will not be going back anyway..

Last edited:
Back