Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Should we Question Christianity?

T

Tom Izzo

I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so." The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

That's basically my thought on that and am wondering what you guys think about it.

I definitely think it is okay to question and I think a good case can be made from Scripture to support that. Christian faith isn't blind faith. It's a faith based on reason and evidence--most importantly the historical physical resurrection of Jesus. I would venture to say that most who were Christian and now aren't didn't question, or at least adequately question, their faith. Then hard times came or they went to college and started hearing about evolution or something and they had no answers, no real reasons for believing. Just my opinion.

^
Not wrong to ask questions about Christianity at all, but just make sure you ask the right people and the right sources. There are people that claim to be "Christians" but turn out to be not quite ... :screwloose

Tina said:
^
Not wrong to ask questions about Christianity at all, but just make sure you ask the right people and the right sources. There are people that claim to be "Christians" but turn out to be not quite ... :screwloose

Are you saying you can only ask questions of those who you know what their answers will be. I actually think it would be best to ask questions of people with different beliefs. You need to hear both perspectives and decide which makes sense to you. We know there is a God. We know there are several different religions who think they have the right answers about God. The least you can do for God is inquire into all different aspects to see which one seems right to you. Christianity seemed right for me but that doesn't mean it will seem right to you. Never just assume that what someone is telling you about God is true. Look into it for yourself. God will reward you for your efforts.

Amen.

Are you saying you can only ask questions of those who you know what their answers will be. I actually think it would be best to ask questions of people with different beliefs. You need to hear both perspectives and decide which makes sense to you. We know there is a God. We know there are several different religions who think they have the right answers about God. The least you can do for God is inquire into all different aspects to see which one seems right to you. Christianity seemed right for me but that doesn't mean it will seem right to you. Never just assume that what someone is telling you about God is true. Look into it for yourself. God will reward you for your efforts.

I totally agree that we should ask questions, not trying to find fault but to gain wisdom.

Absolutely you should test things of faith. And should be in two levels. First one needs to test the scriptures to make sure that the holy book that one is considering can hold water. (In my view this of course is only the Bible.) Once you are satisfied that the scriptures are the inerrant word of God you move on to number two.

Second you should constantly test all things against the scriptures. Hope that helps!

Tom Izzo said:
I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so." The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

That's basically my thought on that and am wondering what you guys think about it.
Do you honestly believe that God is so powerless that even if youd been born in a remote jungle somewhere that He would leave you to fall into hell if He knew that you would willingly love Him ?
Hes far more powerful than that. it doesnt matter where you were born or who your parents are.

The answer is no, we shouldnt question Christianity in the way you are asking the question.
We can ONLY believe because God gives us the ability to believe (true belief, not this quicky mart brand of 'belief' seen so much in the world today). We can only come to Him when He draws. When that happens and He's given us faith and drawn us, do you think it wise to then start doubting ?
I only believe because He foreknew my response to His drawing, and so drew me, gave me faith to believe, and predestined me to be conformed to the image of His Son.

As for unbelievers, of course they will question.

Tom Izzo said:

Good grief - that's like saying should a person who is alive question whether or not he really has life. Those who are born of God - KNOW that they are alive.

Anyone who thinks they are a Christian because they followed their parent's faith does NOT know God. Christianity is not about good living, or keeping a set of rules or commandments. These things can be found in ANY religion.

It is only in and through Christ that one can become God's child - and this is NOT of our choosing - but God's.

mutzrein said:
Tom Izzo said:

Good grief - that's like saying should a person who is alive question whether or not he really has life. Those who are born of God - KNOW that they are alive.

Anyone who thinks they are a Christian because they followed their parent's faith does NOT know God. Christianity is not about good living, or keeping a set of rules or commandments. These things can be found in ANY religion.

It is only in and through Christ that one can become God's child - and this is NOT of our choosing - but God's.[/quoteS

Someone not familiar with christianity would have to ask, what does in and through Christ mean? Does that mean to follow Christ's teachings and strive to be like him?

joechrist said:
mutzrein said:

It is only in and through Christ that one can become God's child - and this is NOT of our choosing - but God's.

Someone not familiar with christianity would have to ask, what does in and through Christ mean? Does that mean to follow Christ's teachings and strive to be like him?

No. It means that salvation is only found in Christ (as He came that man might receive eternal life) and through Christ (as he is the only way that man can become God's child).

mutzrein said:
joechrist said:
mutzrein said:

No. It means that salvation is only found in Christ (as He came that man might receive eternal life) and through Christ (as he is the only way that man can become God's child).

So if one wants to become God's child, how do they receive that salvation through or in Christ?

joechrist said:
So if one wants to become God's child, how do they receive that salvation through or in Christ?

Jesus said that no-one can come to the Father except through him and no one can come to him unless the Father has enabled him.

John also said regarding God's children that they are 'children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.'

Now, some may want to tell you that man can choose to be a child of God. My bible tells me something different.

Blessings

PS: If you would like to read a document (in PDF format) on the gospel, let me know and I will email to you.

Back