Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Show your Desktop

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is Linux Ubuntu 12.04 with Dash open showing about a 1/3 of my applications. In other words, unlike Windows, these icons don't stay there all the time, but only when Dash is opened, and that's how an application is executed that is not already in the launcher bar. In a similar manner to windows, the open "window" has a translucent quality to it, just like the Windows 7 title bars do and you can see a fuzzy image of the Great Pyramid in the background (which is perfectly clear when Dash closes). You can see the laucher bar to the left, and applications can be added or deleted from it. That bar pops in and out when one puts the cursor there. The top bar with the email, sound, time, etc is the only thing that stays there all the time. I'm not a big Mac user; that's more my kids and my wife, but from what I gather, this OS works a lot like a Mac in its GUI.

View attachment 2408

I'm mobile while visiting...

43b746e5-6fb7-d708.jpg

This is the background....
43b746e5-6fcc-0e37.jpg

Tim,

If you don't like the new Unity desktop or prefer to switch between Unity and the "Classic" Gnome2 desktop, try this:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome

or this:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Thanks Vic. If I ever would want to switch (perhaps as I get more stuff on here), I'll know what to do. Actually, I like Unity Desktop. I was just showing others how this works and is easy and intuitive IMO. I said I was not a big Mac user because I meant that I did not have much experience with it, not that I don't like Macs.

I basically could run everything here on the whole computer knowing about a half dozen things.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back