Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

sin?

Is trying to look pretty a sin? Like enhancing your appearance. Also, is thinking of someone else as pretty a sin?

I believe as long as you're not being conceited about your appearance and your thoughts regarding the looks of others are pure, you're safe.

But that's just my opinion.

I plan on blogging about sin, and how to spot sin perhaps early next week.

I'm going to use a few passages in Leviticus 23 to make a point and it has to do with leaving the corners of your field unharvested as a way for God to provide for the widow, the orphan and the foreigner. If you stop and think about it, there is no "sin" in harvesting the corners of your field. The sin actually resides in failing to help others in need when God has blessed you with the means. Jesus gives us an example of this when he tells of a farmer who had an exceptionally large harvest, but instead of helping those in need, he simply built bigger barns. Again, the sin isn't in building bigger barns and hording it for himself, the sin was in not doing the good that he could have done. Let me illustrate:

When we look at Genesis 1, we see that in the beginning, was darkness. God didn't create the darkness... it was already there. And what are the first words of God except to say, "Let there be Light", and it was so. You see, darkness is simply the absence of light. Furthermore, if you bring a light into a dark room, does the darkness overcome the light, or does the light penetrate the darkness?

By way of example: The farmer who harvested his fields completely failed to help the widow, orphan and foreigner and as a result, those who relied on those gleanings went hungry and suffered. It's not that evil was created, it's simply that darkness is the absence of light. Another way to put it is this. When we fail to do what is right, evil (sin) represents that void.

So you ask, "Is trying to look pretty a sin". Does a flower try to look pretty, or is it simply pretty? Are we allowed to look at a flower and say we like that flower over the other flower? I would say that it's natural to try and look pretty and it's natural to say somebody looks pretty. True beauty comes from the inside and there is nothing more beautiful than a Proverbs 31 woman and there isn't anything wrong with the outward appearance of a woman matching her inward beauty.

Maybe a better question might be, "when I see somebody who isn't as pretty as me, do I build them up and encourage them" Do you use that beauty to bring glory to God by what you do, how you act and how you think or do you use that beauty in a way that leaves those in need in darkness?

Nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty. Nothing wrong with being pretty. What we do with how we look is what matters.

God bless

I don't think it is wrong to want to look pretty. Christian women represent the Lord, we should look pretty. When looking pretty becomes your God then it is a problem. Almost anything can become a God for us. "You shall have no other Gods before you." (Exodus 20:3) NKJ

I plan on blogging about sin, and how to spot sin perhaps early next week.

I'm going to use a few passages in Leviticus 23 to make a point and it has to do with leaving the corners of your field unharvested as a way for God to provide for the widow, the orphan and the foreigner. If you stop and think about it, there is no "sin" in harvesting the corners of your field. The sin actually resides in failing to help others in need when God has blessed you with the means. Jesus gives us an example of this when he tells of a farmer who had an exceptionally large harvest, but instead of helping those in need, he simply built bigger barns. Again, the sin isn't in building bigger barns and hording it for himself, the sin was in not doing the good that he could have done. Let me illustrate:

When we look at Genesis 1, we see that in the beginning, was darkness. God didn't create the darkness... it was already there. And what are the first words of God except to say, "Let there be Light", and it was so. You see, darkness is simply the absence of light. Furthermore, if you bring a light into a dark room, does the darkness overcome the light, or does the light penetrate the darkness?

By way of example: The farmer who harvested his fields completely failed to help the widow, orphan and foreigner and as a result, those who relied on those gleanings went hungry and suffered. It's not that evil was created, it's simply that darkness is the absence of light. Another way to put it is this. When we fail to do what is right, evil (sin) represents that void.

So you ask, "Is trying to look pretty a sin". Does a flower try to look pretty, or is it simply pretty? Are we allowed to look at a flower and say we like that flower over the other flower? I would say that it's natural to try and look pretty and it's natural to say somebody looks pretty. True beauty comes from the inside and there is nothing more beautiful than a Proverbs 31 woman and there isn't anything wrong with the outward appearance of a woman matching her inward beauty.

Maybe a better question might be, "when I see somebody who isn't as pretty as me, do I build them up and encourage them" Do you use that beauty to bring glory to God by what you do, how you act and how you think or do you use that beauty in a way that leaves those in need in darkness?

Nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty. Nothing wrong with being pretty. What we do with how we look is what matters.

God bless

Exactly what I was trying to get at. Makes perfect sense, but could you also answer my other question? I need some things cleared up.

I don't think it is wrong to want to look pretty. Christian women represent the Lord, we should look pretty. When looking pretty becomes your God then it is a problem. Almost anything can become a God for us. "You shall have no other Gods before you." (Exodus 20:3) NKJ
Okay. I just didn't know when looking pretty could be a sin.

422254ff1cc72740309c85be38c20999.jpg

Back