Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Sincere vigilant prayer life results in speaking wisdom with grace

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Colossians 4:2-6

I believe we as a community are in a new season, where the Lord is bringing in a new wave of people who may or may not be seasoned in God’s word.

I know I have learned some valuable lessons from the challenges of the last season, and the mistakes I’ve made, which the Lord uses to equip me for the task of each new season. New growth in our inner man is always encouraging, yet it also serves to remind me of the price I have had to pay for my own immaturity.

Thank goodness He causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

I have found that the more time I spend in prayer, and private devotion and worship, the more I’m filled with His presence and peace to deal with the challenges and the task I’m faced with.

I thought the above verse summed up some things for me, as I seek to walk in the truth and blessing of God for my family, business and ministry, as well as for my family on this Forum.

• Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

When I’m filled with His presence I’m able to do these things by the power of His grace.

When I neglect my time with the Lord in daily prayer and devotion, being alone with Him to seek Him, and be filled and strengthened by His Presence, my thinking isn’t as clear, my heart is dull, and my attitude isn’t filled with love and grace, as it should be.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Be blessed as you pursue His Presence.

JLB

My life is a series of transitions. Five years ago I lived in a nice two-bedroom apartment. Then I was homeless. Now I live in a room at my church with no shower or kitchen.

A few months ago I turned off my television to enter into an intense prayer life. When I am not on the computer or doing something functional like eating dinner I pray.

I usually "ask only for his will for me and the power to carry that out," but now and then I ask for the safety of my son and a apartment with a shower.

On a serious note, prayer is my salvation. When I am communion with God I feel safe. I have PTSD so this is a wonderful thing.

I thank God for Jesus Christ and for his willingness to communicate with us through the Holy Spirit.

My most ardent prayer is the one you quote. Thank you.

"Thank goodness He causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

In all humility, I would like to believe I was called and that I answered the call.

Hi JLB. I love what you posted. I have the same prayer also. To be speak with grace, seasoned with salt. In my everyday life, I'm just salty. The Lord took me to the edge about 2 weeks ago with my attitude. I have nowhere to go but up, and that scripture you posted sums it up. My horrible attitude also had to do with relying on the people to not disappoint me, instead of knowing God will not!

My life is a series of transitions. Five years ago I lived in a nice two-bedroom apartment. Then I was homeless. Now I live in a room at my church with no shower or kitchen.

A few months ago I turned off my television to enter into an intense prayer life. When I am not on the computer or doing something functional like eating dinner I pray.

I usually "ask only for his will for me and the power to carry that out," but now and then I ask for the safety of my son and a apartment with a shower.

On a serious note, prayer is my salvation. When I am communion with God I feel safe. I have PTSD so this is a wonderful thing.

I thank God for Jesus Christ and for his willingness to communicate with us through the Holy Spirit.

"Thank goodness He causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

In all humility, I would like to believe I was called and that I answered the call.

Beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

Yours reminds me of the life of Kathryn Kuhlman, a very powerful yet misunderstood pioneer of faith in her time.

God bless you and keep you.

May the Lord continually fill you with His Spirit.

JLB

Hi JLB. I love what you posted. I have the same prayer also. To be speak with grace, seasoned with salt. In my everyday life, I'm just salty. The Lord took me to the edge about 2 weeks ago with my attitude. I have nowhere to go but up, and that scripture you posted sums it up. My horrible attitude also had to do with relying on the people to not disappoint me, instead of knowing God will not!

Beautiful post, seasoned with humility and sincerity.

Thank you for your reply.

JLB

Thank you for posting this JLB

Those passages are rich for meditation which should provoke us toward Godly living.

I like how the passages start with prayer. We cannot do the Lords will on our own, we need to humble ourselves before our Savior and seek his guidance in our lives.

Verse 3 asks us to seek prayer from other believers that new doors would be open so that we can proclaim the mystery of Christ. Which is to say that God has created a family here, on earth, now that we are a part of. For us that know God, we are His children, and we are a family that the secular world can't see, or often recognise.

So Paul asks for prayer that new doors would open, so our family can grow in maturity. Often, doors don't stay open very long, so we have to recognise when a door is open, and we need to act in a way that can have good and lasting effects because sometimes, we don't always get a second chance.

I think this is why we must be wise, and Paul instructs us to be wise.

I want to pause here for a moment because wisdom often comes from past failures and experience. As a result, we don't pray for wisdom, but rather, we pray that we use the wisdom we have already received.

The last part of 6 is often overlooked and if I can drive the direction of this thread, that's the direction I would like to meditate on.

so that you may know how to answer everyone.

How do we read that? And how do we live that out?

Bonnet. What is it?
In America, it may mean a woman's head covering, but in England, it's a hood to a car.
Pants, what is it?
In England it's underwear. They call pants trousers.

If I'm in England, I use their language and I certainly don't press my language on them. Otherwise it just creates confusion and frustration.

Has anyone ever traveled across the USA? In some parts of the deep south, I can't always understand them because of their accent. But I'm the outsider when I go down so for them, I'm the one who's hard to understand.

But what about life in general? We are all shaped to some degree or another by our upbringing. In other words, we all have an accent.

Let's take baptism. Depending on how one was raised, this simple word can conjure many different images both within and outside of Christianity. Or how about theological differences?

Let's re-center

The object isn't to build a case and win an argument. It's about understanding where people are at and extending them grace when those narrow doors are open that God provides.

That means we don't make the same mistakes of the past but instead, we use our past to win hearts and build hearts to the Lord.

Extending grace to a theological opponent isn't easy. But if we stop looking at them as opponents and start looking at them as brothers, then God will open doors that they might see Gods grace working in us, and it just may touch their heart where the Holy Spirit has already been tilling.

These are just some of my thoughts, and id like to hear the thoughts of others, and how we can live these truths out daily.

Praying and knowing God is going to open a door of opportunity for you and you son that you will once again have your own place and that you son will always stay safe. :hug

Nothing we teach or speak to others is of our own wisdom and understanding as when we pray we need to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal all wisdom and understanding of what God wants us to learn as the mysteries are opened up before our Spiritual eyes and ears as we listen through fervent prayer even before we start to study everyday.

If we are not walking in the Spirit then we will miss out on where the Spirit of God will lead us in every aspect of our life here on earth. We should never have a haughty spirit when we approach others as what we speak is not our words, but that of what the Holy Spirit gives us to speak and to do. Jesus never spoke or did anything that the Father din't give Him to speak and do, John 12:49, 50.

Prayer and studying His word throughout the day is our lifeline to the Father as we fellowship with Him surrendering all of our self to Him in all humility and humbleness of heart.

Like the song you shared we need to always be in His presence through thought, prayer, praise and worship no matter where we are. It's no longer I that lives, but Christ who lives in me who through the Holy Spirit works in me and through me to be a vessel of honor unto God.

I think most of us dont choose silence/listening in conversation with others enough.
Can I honestly say I am trying to address your needs more than my own?
I might feel a strong urge to share the truth as I ser it.
But does that person really need such input?
Some solve their own problems just through self expression. I might be that kind of person.

Be still to listen, be sincere in prayer and ask the Holy Spirit to give you the words to speak that will help uplift and edify each other in our conversations. We can never go above that which is given to us in understanding the wisdom and knowledge that only comes by diligently seeking through prayer and meditation on the word of God as we let the Holy Spirit teach us.

Thank you for posting this JLB

Those passages are rich for meditation which should provoke us toward Godly living.

I like how the passages start with prayer. We cannot do the Lords will on our own, we need to humble ourselves before our Savior and seek his guidance in our lives.

Verse 3 asks us to seek prayer from other believers that new doors would be open so that we can proclaim the mystery of Christ. Which is to say that God has created a family here, on earth, now that we are a part of. For us that know God, we are His children, and we are a family that the secular world can't see, or often recognise.

So Paul asks for prayer that new doors would open, so our family can grow in maturity. Often, doors don't stay open very long, so we have to recognise when a door is open, and we need to act in a way that can have good and lasting effects because sometimes, we don't always get a second chance.

I think this is why we must be wise, and Paul instructs us to be wise.

I want to pause here for a moment because wisdom often comes from past failures and experience. As a result, we don't pray for wisdom, but rather, we pray that we use the wisdom we have already received.

The last part of 6 is often overlooked and if I can drive the direction of this thread, that's the direction I would like to meditate on.

How do we read that? And how do we live that out?

Bonnet. What is it?
In America, it may mean a woman's head covering, but in England, it's a hood to a car.
Pants, what is it?
In England it's underwear. They call pants trousers.

If I'm in England, I use their language and I certainly don't press my language on them. Otherwise it just creates confusion and frustration.

Has anyone ever traveled across the USA? In some parts of the deep south, I can't always understand them because of their accent. But I'm the outsider when I go down so for them, I'm the one who's hard to understand.

But what about life in general? We are all shaped to some degree or another by our upbringing. In other words, we all have an accent.

Let's take baptism. Depending on how one was raised, this simple word can conjure many different images both within and outside of Christianity. Or how about theological differences?

Let's re-center

The object isn't to build a case and win an argument. It's about understanding where people are at and extending them grace when those narrow doors are open that God provides.

That means we don't make the same mistakes of the past but instead, we use our past to win hearts and build hearts to the Lord.

Extending grace to a theological opponent isn't easy. But if we stop looking at them as opponents and start looking at them as brothers, then God will open doors that they might see Gods grace working in us, and it just may touch their heart where the Holy Spirit has already been tilling.

These are just some of my thoughts, and id like to hear the thoughts of others, and how we can live these truths out daily.
I like your post SB. If only I could always follow this wisdom!
Here is another bit. When posting, it would be wonderful if it wasn't considered to be true, treated as, assumed or believed by anyone that if someone disagrees with us that they are not as mature a Christian as we are. This is a road to never learning and never growing.

I like your post SB. If only I could always follow this wisdom!
Here is another bit. When posting, it would be wonderful if it wasn't considered to be true, treated as, assumed or believed by anyone that if someone disagrees with us that they are not as mature a Christian as we are. This is a road to never learning and never growing.
Thank you. When we look at those passages, it directs us to use the wisdom we've already obtained, and we all have wisdom.
What I like about your reply is that you desire Godly attributes, and you recognize your shortcomings, and that shows a contrite heart to do Gods will.

It always starts in prayer. How do we talk to others, but more importantly, how do we win their hearts to the Lord? Jesus meets us where we are at and he doesn't excuse sinful behavior also known as works of the flesh (Galatians 5), but rather, he empowers us through the Holy Spirit to overcome these obstacles.

Jesus asks Saul, why do you kick against the goads? And we might ask the same question. Why do we continually put ourselves into situations that hurt us? I would contend that we are not trusting in our Lord and when we realize this, and muster enough faith to live out our new insight God can start working His will in us for His good works. Often, this is where wisdom is gained. It's not so much what we know, but what Gods done in our lives for us. This is why Paul writes that in his weakest moments, he is the strongest. Because he knows God is working all of this to the good.

As a result, Paul can say, to the Greeks, I became a Greek, to the Jews, I became a Jew.

You see, we have to learn how to speak to others in their own language and meet them where they are at. Paul doesn't convert Jews to Greeks or Greeks to Jews. He converts them to Christ, and Christ is big enough to hold them all.

Paul understood Greeks because he studied Greek literature. He learned how to talk about things they were already talking about and when an opportunity opened, he brought in the gospel.

I work with Muslims, atheists, agnostics and Hindus. I've befriended a Hindu and we walk every day at lunch and I'm learning about his gods and their holidays. Last fall we were talking India politics and Gandhi came up. After two years befriending this man, a door was opened and I was able to tell him the gospel. Why? Because I was able to associate Ghandi and Jesus. Seeds have been planted, and God will cause it to grow.

I understand you follow reformed theology while others on this board don't. If we are to strive for unity in the faith, then my recommendation would be to look for where theologies do agree, and build off that. This is the wisdom our Lord has given me because for years I felt like nobody was listening to me, but in reality, I wasn't interested in hearing others to understand their love for the Lord.

Deuteronomy 4:6 is one of my favorite verses

Thank you. When we look at those passages, it directs us to use the wisdom we've already obtained, and we all have wisdom.
What I like about your reply is that you desire Godly attributes, and you recognize your shortcomings, and that shows a contrite heart to do Gods will.

It always starts in prayer. How do we talk to others, but more importantly, how do we win their hearts to the Lord? Jesus meets us where we are at and he doesn't excuse sinful behavior also known as works of the flesh (Galatians 5), but rather, he empowers us through the Holy Spirit to overcome these obstacles.

Jesus asks Saul, why do you kick against the goads? And we might ask the same question. Why do we continually put ourselves into situations that hurt us? I would contend that we are not trusting in our Lord and when we realize this, and muster enough faith to live out our new insight God can start working His will in us for His good works. Often, this is where wisdom is gained. It's not so much what we know, but what Gods done in our lives for us. This is why Paul writes that in his weakest moments, he is the strongest. Because he knows God is working all of this to the good.

As a result, Paul can say, to the Greeks, I became a Greek, to the Jews, I became a Jew.

You see, we have to learn how to speak to others in their own language and meet them where they are at. Paul doesn't convert Jews to Greeks or Greeks to Jews. He converts them to Christ, and Christ is big enough to hold them all.

Paul understood Greeks because he studied Greek literature. He learned how to talk about things they were already talking about and when an opportunity opened, he brought in the gospel.

I work with Muslims, atheists, agnostics and Hindus. I've befriended a Hindu and we walk every day at lunch and I'm learning about his gods and their holidays. Last fall we were talking India politics and Gandhi came up. After two years befriending this man, a door was opened and I was able to tell him the gospel. Why? Because I was able to associate Ghandi and Jesus. Seeds have been planted, and God will cause it to grow.

I understand you follow reformed theology while others on this board don't. If we are to strive for unity in the faith, then my recommendation would be to look for where theologies do agree, and build off that. This is the wisdom our Lord has given me because for years I felt like nobody was listening to me, but in reality, I wasn't interested in hearing others to understand their love for the Lord.

Deuteronomy 4:6 is one of my favorite verses
And thank you. I read the Deuteronmy verse, because I'm not good at remembering chapter and verse. I had it underlined.

I truly am not interested in convincing others to believe as I do. I know they don't and I understand why. And maybe it comes across in my posts on this subject that that is my intention. I also have recognized and admitted to myself that my type A personality is aggressive. To change my temperament and approach is difficult and not even sure it is necessary. In my mind (which of course no one can read) this aggressive approach is never aimed at persons or their beliefs, but rather what I perceive as deliberate stubborn refusal to understand what I am saying. However I have come to realize that I may have not stated it very well. Or if I have, the problem is the two of us are giving a slightly different meaning to the same word, in which case, never the two shall meet. What I say is perfectly clear to me!
The alternative to not being myself, a tactic I see often, is to be passive aggressive in my interaction. That makes it possible for the automatic come back. "Didn't do that." (Insult, condescend etc). when I call them on it, thereby throwing all wrong doing back on me. I fully admit, I shouldn't call anyone on it, mainly because it is maybe? self indulgent on my part, but mainly because it goes nowhere.
I recognize passive aggressive when I hear it, it is not a safe place to hide. And I do not like the the attempt at camouflage.
Nevertheless, I will attempt to put a lid on it. I have heard you SB and agree.

And thank you. I read the Deuteronmy verse, because I'm not good at remembering chapter and verse. I had it underlined.

I truly am not interested in convincing others to believe as I do. I know they don't and I understand why. And maybe it comes across in my posts on this subject that that is my intention. I also have recognized and admitted to myself that my type A personality is aggressive. To change my temperament and approach is difficult and not even sure it is necessary. In my mind (which of course no one can read) this aggressive approach is never aimed at persons or their beliefs, but rather what I perceive as deliberate stubborn refusal to understand what I am saying. However I have come to realize that I may have not stated it very well. Or if I have, the problem is the two of us are giving a slightly different meaning to the same word, in which case, never the two shall meet. What I say is perfectly clear to me!
The alternative to not being myself, a tactic I see often, is to be passive aggressive in my interaction. That makes it possible for the automatic come back. "Didn't do that." (Insult, condescend etc). when I call them on it, thereby throwing all wrong doing back on me. I fully admit, I shouldn't call anyone on it, mainly because it is maybe? self indulgent on my part, but mainly because it goes nowhere.
I recognize passive aggressive when I hear it, it is not a safe place to hide. And I do not like the the attempt at camouflage.
Nevertheless, I will attempt to put a lid on it. I have heard you SB and agree.
Don't feel alone as many of us have trod the path your on many moons ago. God is good, and He is merciful because he disciplines those He loves, and he loves you very much.

Please afford me the folly of speaking my mind. It's a lesson I myself learned the hard way, and in a way, still needing much growth.

Love your neighbor as yourself, this is the greatest commandment given to us on how we ought to treat one another. But here is the problem. Many of us don't really know how we should love ourselves the way God designed us to. In many ways, we're abusive and condemning to ourselves, so we justify abusing and condemning others because that's the standard we have put on ourselves, and we expect others to be the same when they are not..
Here is a silly example. My wife loves Brussels sprouts, and my wife loves me and wants to treat me well, so she makes brussel sprouts in many different ways. Honestly, they invoke my gag reflexes. They honestly make me puke.

For my wife, this was a source of frustration as she wanted to treat me to one of her favorite foods. She didn't understand why I couldn't eat them.

She didn't give up. She knows I like a fresh green salad, so one day she chopped the Brussels sprouts up and hid them in the salad. They were good!

Again, this may be silly, but she found what I liked and as much as she wanted me to have them the way she liked them, I just couldn't pallet them.

What's the moral? There are many. Loving your neighborrr, in part, and I want to emphasise the " in part", but its about treating them better than they treat themselves at times and not pushing your likes or dislikes on them.

Let's bring this full circle.

Paul writes all of that, prayer, wisdom, doors for this reason.

We win hearts, not arguments.

Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.
Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Colossians 4:2-6

I believe we as a community are in a new season, where the Lord is bringing in a new wave of people who may or may not be seasoned in God’s word.

I know I have learned some valuable lessons from the challenges of the last season, and the mistakes I’ve made, which the Lord uses to equip me for the task of each new season. New growth in our inner man is always encouraging, yet it also serves to remind me of the price I have had to pay for my own immaturity.

Thank goodness He causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

I have found that the more time I spend in prayer, and private devotion and worship, the more I’m filled with His presence and peace to deal with the challenges and the task I’m faced with.

I thought the above verse summed up some things for me, as I seek to walk in the truth and blessing of God for my family, business and ministry, as well as for my family on this Forum.

• Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

When I’m filled with His presence I’m able to do these things by the power of His grace.

When I neglect my time with the Lord in daily prayer and devotion, being alone with Him to seek Him, and be filled and strengthened by His Presence, my thinking isn’t as clear, my heart is dull, and my attitude isn’t filled with love and grace, as it should be.

Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Be blessed as you pursue His Presence.

JLB
Amen, great post and video, and more as I'm taking heed of myself of His words of life of His presence. Deuteronomy 4:9

Love always Walter

Last edited:
Back