Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Sinner?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
O boy Nathan can you open a can of worms....

I am on the side of this age old argument that says

Yes i am a sinner saved by His wonderful Grace. Sadly very sadly I sin daily. I am forgiven more 'better' more often then i deserve.

Why ? because i am just human

1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

And the battle will be on . . .

lo. sorry Reba. This is truly not meant to go "fishing" for anything but peoples thoughts.

However, I just might start a thread dealing with it later on.;)

I just heard someone say something about this, and am curious as to peoples thoughts.

:lol I've already got enough discussions on my hands to get real wrapped up in this one.

We used to be sinners, but now are saints (the word saints is used about 98 times in the NT).

hagios
Original Word: ἅγιος, ία, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: hagios
Phonetic Spelling: (hag'-ee-os)
Short Definition: set apart, holy, sacred
Definition: set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred.

I added the definition specifically for you Nathan. Figured you'd want more specific information instead of a simple yes or no. :lol

We used to be sinners, but now are saints (the word saints is used about 98 times in the NT).

hagios
Original Word: ἅγιος, ία, ον
Transliteration: hagios
Phonetic Spelling: (hag'-ee-os)
Short Definition: set apart, holy, sacred
Definition: set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred.

I added the definition specifically for you Nathan. Figured you'd want more specific information instead of a simple yes or no. :lol

You da man Rockie. :thumbsup

Nathan,

Our sin under Moses is elementary.

Our sin under Jesus is advanced into a new form.

It is the difference between lust and pride; between hateful and despising.

Rom 8:9-10
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
KJV

1 John 4:2-3
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
KJV

When Christ is in us, by his Spirit, we see that our bodies are dead because of sin in our members and we also see that Jesus is our righteousness and our life in heaven, from where we look for our Savior.

Col 3:3-4
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. KJV

John 16:10
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; KJV

Joe

Are you a sinner? Yes, No? Why?

Yes. However, Christ has began a new work in me.

Before I became a Christian I was a willful sinner. Just a sinner completely guilty of my sin before God. Now I am a saved sinner who does not desire to be a sinner. A sinner who turns from sin and towards Christ. With Christ I am a saved sinner, but nothing I do makes me not a sinner or any less guilty before God. Only Christ and Christ alone has saved me from my sin and allows me to stand righteous before God. His mercy for me is in my acceptance of of his work, not mine.

Are you a sinner? Yes, No? Why?

The ending -er in English means one who does something. A farmer is one who farms, a painter is one who paints, a writer is one who writes and so on. I have painted my apartment but, since I don't do it for a living or do it regularly, I'm not a painter. I'm just a person who has painted. Similarly, I have sinned but, since it no longer has power over me and I try to avoid it, and since God is bringing me closer to Him and transforming my old sin nature into His likeness, I am not a sinner. I'm just someone who has sinned and still does occasionally.

Thanks for the replies guys. So Joe, is that a yes or no?:lol

Seriously though, I really appriciate the replies. I am going to have to rank this up there with one of my most favorite threads. It is so interesting to see the thought process of people on here.

I hope to hear from others. In hind sight I should have just made this a poll. But eventually I would like to discuss it deeper. For now I am quite interested in just seeing peoples responses.

Romans 3:23

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Since we all have sinned, therefore we are all sinners.

Romans 3:23

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Since we all have sinned, therefore we are all sinners.

Yes, we have all sinned, and I used to believe this, too, yet when Jesus would tell people to "go and sin no more", what should we take from this? To me, it means to sin no more and with Christ, we do not have to sin. As God points out our sins, hopefully we do not do them anymore, and our sins become less and less. Be holy as your Father in Heaven is Holy.

Heb. 10:26-27 "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins. But a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries."

If we do sin, we repent and He is faithful to forgive us.

God does give us a way out of temptations.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Yes, we have all sinned, and I used to believe this, too, yet when Jesus would tell people to "go and sin no more", what should we take from this? To me, it means to sin no more and with Christ, we do not have to sin. As God points out our sins, hopefully we do not do them anymore, and our sins become less and less. Be holy as your Father in Heaven is Holy.

Heb. 10:26-27 "For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins. But a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries."

If we do sin, we repent and He is faithful to forgive us.

God does give us a way out of temptations.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Rockie, check your concordance with "sinner" and "repentance". Then check it with "saint". You might find something interesting.

A good Biblical definition of repentance would be advisable also. Contrast that with confession.

The ending -er in English means one who does something. A farmer is one who farms, a painter is one who paints, a writer is one who writes and so on. I have painted my apartment but, since I don't do it for a living or do it regularly, I'm not a painter. I'm just a person who has painted. Similarly, I have sinned but, since it no longer has power over me and I try to avoid it, and since God is bringing me closer to Him and transforming my old sin nature into His likeness, I am not a sinner. I'm just someone who has sinned and still does occasionally.

I like this Theo!

Maybe a Biblical definition of "sinner" would help?
Sinner
Original Word: ἁμαρτωλός, ον
Transliteration: hamartólos
Phonetic Spelling: (ham-ar-to-los')
Short Definition: sinning, sinful, a sinner
Definition: sinning, sinful, depraved, detestable.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=orange2a width="99%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Cognate: 268 hamartōlós (a substantival adjective, derived from 264 /hamartánō, "to forfeit by missing the mark") – properly, loss from falling short of what God approves, i.e. what is "wide of the mark"; a blatant sinner.

Sinner
Original Word: ἁμαρτωλός, ον
Transliteration: hamartólos
Phonetic Spelling: (ham-ar-to-los')
Short Definition: sinning, sinful, a sinner
Definition: sinning, sinful, depraved, detestable.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=orange2a width="99%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Cognate: 268 hamartōlós (a substantival adjective, derived from 264 /hamartánō, "to forfeit by missing the mark") – properly, loss from falling short of what God approves, i.e. what is "wide of the mark"; a blatant sinner.

Mar 2:17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

hamartōlos

1) devoted to sin, a sinner
a) not free from sin
b) pre-eminently sinful, especially wicked
1) all wicked men
2) specifically of men stained with certain definite vices or crimes
a) tax collectors, heathen

Thats interesting. I assume the definition you have is from Biblos.com? The one I put up is from Blue Letter Bible.com. Very interesting to see the differences. Usually they are a lot closer.

Mar 2:17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

hamartōlos

1) devoted to sin, a sinner
a) not free from sin
b) pre-eminently sinful, especially wicked
1) all wicked men
2) specifically of men stained with certain definite vices or crimes
a) tax collectors, heathen

Thats interesting. I assume the definition you have is from Biblos.com? The one I put up is from Blue Letter Bible.com. Very interesting to see the differences. Usually they are a lot closer.

That is really interesting Nathan, yes, mine is from Biblos and it seems to be a Calvantistic definition of men before Christ.hmmm.....think they are onto something. :)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back