Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Skepticism and its ever growing roots.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Milk-Drops

I have always been a very inquisitive person, and my curiosity has been both a blessing and a curse in my life.A blessing in the sense that I have discovered amazing things. A curse in the sense that I become obsesive and test the patience of those around me. I just love to learn things. I love to take things apart and experiment. I've met amazing people and read books and listened to speeches from people of all walks of life. Its how I managed to discover countless hobbies and become dissatisfied with mundane existence. Though it has become a burden on others when I decided that I want to learn how things work beyond what some would consider normal. Especially when it comes to job situations. I've run into some people that feel threatened because I'm always looking around and trying to learn more about my situation. I had to leave a job due rustling a manager's feathers because I wanted to fully understand the job to its fullest and not settle being a simple box carrier.

Its almost an addiction. I live to tear things apart and rebuild them. To constantly seek new vantage points to an issue or idea. I will spend hours reading the Bible, Koran, and Vadas, to then turn around and read Hitchens, Marx, Rand, Tolstoy, Smith, Nietzche, and Locke. I do this because I love to learn and understand.

This is why I left Christianity in the first place. Sure my sexuality clashed with it, but I dealt with that for years and outright suppressed my thoughts and didn't leave. What caused me to leave was finding things that seemed broken and not being able to repair or fix them with the tools given to me by my Christian brethren. If I can't fix or find a use for something, then I tend to toss it or find a new purpose. If a purpose can't be found, then I'll simply abandon the idea and research replacements. Its how I grow and learn. For me, the biggest problem was figuring out what to fill the void in my life that was created when I left Christianity. Christianity gave me a place where I could hang out after school, a group of peers to seek answers from, and a social outlet to meet people. With that gone I had to restructure my life. But due to my ever insationable thirst for new experiences and view points, I ended up finding new social outlets and places to inquire. I built new ways to understand, and borrowed methods that worked. Its been an interesting journey to say the least.

I started out by saying that the roots of skepticism grow deep, and I hold this to be true. The more I learn, the more of a foundation I manage to create and expand. So I think that when most Christians try to convert skeptics, the fail to understand that its not really an answer that is sought, but an avenue to find more answers and mechanics to enrich their lives.

thoughts?

I tend to ask a lot of questions. Like you, I have the curiosity gene. Believe it or not, it is the reason I became both a scientist and a Christian.

My questioning could easily be mistaken for skepticism, but trust me, it's not. At no point in my life have I ever doubted God or His motives. I question his ways not out of doubt, but because I want to know Him better. He created and runs the universe. I want to know how He does this. I want to know all the details. Is He a quantum physicist or a relativist? Or both? This curiosity is a requirement, is it not? It's not enough to believe in Him; we must want to get to know Him better. And I do.

I tend to ask a lot of questions. Like you, I have the curiosity gene. Believe it or not, it is the reason I became both a scientist and a Christian.

My questioning could easily be mistaken for skepticism, but trust me, it's not. At no point in my life have I ever doubted God or His motives. I question his ways not out of doubt, but because I want to know Him better. He created and runs the universe. I want to know how He does this. I want to know all the details. Is He a quantum physicist or a relativist? Or both? This curiosity is a requirement, is it not? It's not enough to believe in Him; we must want to get to know Him better. And I do.
My favorite question from the time I could talk "WHY"? :) That is a good thing that you want to get to know the God who loves you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back