Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Slow Laptop Shutdown

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

As a counterpart to reba's "start up" thread, I'm wondering if there are any pearls out there for this nuisance.

We're running Windows 7 on our laptop, and about a month ago (It's about a year old) it started taking about 2 minutes to shut down. When you're waiting so you can close it up, that feels like a long time. Apparently, I'm the only one in the family who knows how to actually shut this thing down, because everyone else just closes it. If I didn't shut it down every few days, I don't think anyone would. :gah

But, I digress. I searched the problem on-line, and the most popular fix was to make sure I was up-to-date with my Service Packs. I did that, but it still takes the same time for it to completely shut down. It's not as bad as reba's 30 minute start up, but it is bothersome.

Mike John's computer shuts down slow also :sad

Lewis W., that site is a good one i was more able to understand what is was saying...:yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I've been having this problem myself. I'm on a Mac, so I can't give you technical advice but here is what I discovered:

On a Mac, you have something called "verbose mode" I think it is equivalent to "safe mode" start up. Basically, it runs the text log on screen of every action the computer is taking. It does the same during shut down.

For me I have a problem of a program that is not shutting down properly which is causing the computer to take longer because it has to 'execute' (force quit) the program. I still haven't been able to figure out which program it is, but I'm working on it. It seems to be a common "slow shut down" problem though.

I hope that makes sense and that someone else can come in and translate from Mac to PC for you.

Mike, I don't know if doing some registry cleanup would make a difference, but it may be worth a shot :shrug. Perhaps make sure that you have only the essential applications running, following the advice in reba's starting up thread about disabling certain uncessary applications.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back