Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

(Some) Atheists are the most arrogant and often ignorant people out there.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Reading this article (written by an atheist nevertheless) only confirmed what I already noticed from my daily interactions with them:

How atheists became the most colossally smug and annoying people on the planet

"When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying? Surely non-believers in God weren't always the colossal pains in the collective backside that they are today? Surely there was a time when you could say to someone "I am an atheist" without them instantly assuming you were a smug, self-righteous loather of dumb hicks given to making pseudo-clever statements like, "Well, Leviticus also frowns upon having unkempt hair, did you know that?" Things are now so bad that I tend to keep my atheism to myself, and instead mumble something about being a very lapsed Catholic if I'm put on the spot, for fear that uttering the A-word will make people think I'm a Dawkins drone with a mammoth superiority complex and a hives-like allergy to nurses wearing crucifixes.

These days, barely a week passes without the emergence of yet more evidence that atheists are the most irritating people on Earth".
More at the link http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...sally-smug-and-annoying-people-on-the-planet/

Last edited by a moderator:
it's weird, i've kind of tried to give this thing a pass by thinking "well, it's good that dumb and loud people are going over to the atheist side, as a counterweight to islam and christianity" but eh...

it's weird that you would define yourself by what you DON'T believe in, rather than what you DO believe in.

something about fedoras and bronies.

Iv'e been on a lot of forums where atheists come on strong.....I don't give a crap about trying to dispel them.
I'm saved & they can suck hot charcoal......

Allot of minorities who were shunned or ridiculed (or worse) in the past will become more loud once they get some freedom. And since atheists weren't treated good ( I was treated quite good from religious people) in the past (even today there are some problems), they are more vocal now in the present. And unfortunately that can come with some insults.

""And since atheists weren't treated good ""
I'm not sure what you mean dude....
What the heck are you trying to say?
Your profile says NO, I have NO arguement with you.....you are lost!

it's weird that you would define yourself by what you DON'T believe in, rather than what you DO believe in.

I don't think Christians define themselves by what they don't believe in. There are things about Christianity that I can't prove but that is where Faith comes in.

Good morning ace, there's an expression Christians are a keyhole through which the world sees Jesus. Infinity deserves the same respect he has shown.

Do you know anything at all about atheism back in the past? Maybe that is why you don't have any argument.

Allot of minorities who were shunned or ridiculed (or worse) in the past will become more loud once they get some freedom. And since atheists weren't treated good ( I was treated quite good from religious people) in the past (even today there are some problems), they are more vocal now in the present. And unfortunately that can come with some insults.

Pretty much agree with that. Though I'm not sure how well or bad atheists were treated in the past I see a lot of hostility coming from christians even now. Both sides pour oil into the flames.

I would like to offer a word of caution. This is a Christian site. Lets try to conduct ourselves as Christians. The title of this thread could easily identify some Christians' attitudes as much as non-Christians.

Thank you.

For 26 years I lived under the rule of communism in Romania. As you may already know, one of the commandments of being a good communist is to be an atheist.
Trust me when I say that in recent history atheists were never treated as bad by the Christians as Christians were treated by atheists.
We had churches demolished. Priests assassinated. Entire congregations arrested and shot or thrown in gulags. Wedding and baptism sermons done in secret. Employees refused promotions because someone reported seeing them them inside or near a church. And many other niceties done to us, the "superstitious, bigoted and backward" Christians.

Oh, I don't know. The crusades comes to mind.

I wrote RECENT history. I'm not a historian but I can clearly remember the Crusades are not recent events. Nor the crusaders had any beef with the atheists or atheism - which probably didn't even existed at the time.
And since you brought the Crusades into discussion: you may want to enlarge your knowledge horizons a little and take a peek at the non-political correct version of the events. There is plenty of material around on the internet that contradicts the "Muslims good, Christians bad" propaganda. A good starter for you would one of Thomas Madden's articles "The Real History Of The Crusades".

Iv'e been on a lot of forums where atheists come on strong.....I don't give a crap about trying to dispel them.
I'm saved & they can suck hot charcoal......
I find that Christians can be just as bad, and often worse. In fact, there are people from all worldviews who are among the most arrogant and ignorant. This isn't something exclusive to atheists.

Oh, I don't know. The crusades comes to mind.

I wrote RECENT history. I'm not a historian but I can clearly remember the Crusades are not recent events. Nor the crusaders had any beef with the atheists or atheism - which probably didn't even existed at the time.
And since you brought the Crusades into discussion: you may want to enlarge your knowledge horizons a little and take a peek at the non-political correct version of the events. There is plenty of material around on the internet that contradicts the "Muslims good, Christians bad" propaganda. A good starter for you would one of Thomas Madden's articles "The Real History Of The Crusades".
But they do show how bad "Christians" can treat those of other faiths, whether Muslim, Jew, or Christian.

No need to get hostile a1laserexperts. After all, isn't that precisely what you're speaking against?

My primary point is that we are far from perfect. I also wonder, does God care whether a nonbeliever is atheist, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever? I suspect non-belief is non-belief in God's eyes.

I have some friends who are atheists.

Some of the militant ones can be really pushy, true.
But I can't advocate the ways Christians were treating the guy in the OP's quote, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading this article (written by an atheist nevertheless) only confirmed what I already noticed from my daily interactions with them:

How atheists became the most colossally smug and annoying people on the planet

"When did atheists become so teeth-gratingly annoying? Surely non-believers in God weren't always the colossal pains in the collective backside that they are today? Surely there was a time when you could say to someone "I am an atheist" without them instantly assuming you were a smug, self-righteous loather of dumb hicks given to making pseudo-clever statements like, "Well, Leviticus also frowns upon having unkempt hair, did you know that?" Things are now so bad that I tend to keep my atheism to myself, and instead mumble something about being a very lapsed Catholic if I'm put on the spot, for fear that uttering the A-word will make people think I'm a Dawkins drone with a mammoth superiority complex and a hives-like allergy to nurses wearing crucifixes.

These days, barely a week passes without the emergence of yet more evidence that atheists are the most irritating people on Earth".
More at the link http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/b...sally-smug-and-annoying-people-on-the-planet/
Ironically, as I once was an atheist, they view Christians as some of the most arrogant and ignorant people in the world.

It is generalizations and an us versus them mentality that is the problem here, demonizing those who differ from us rather than being loving, compassionate, patient and gentle even toward those who would disagree vehemently. Speak evil of no one, love your enemy, bless those who persecute you.

From my experiences. Get any group of people together where there is a minority, and you'll find a bunch of snobs that use the minority label as an excuse to mistreat those of a non minority label.

If point blank asked, I'll agree that I'm an atheist by definition, but I see no point in labeling myself that or expressing comradery in the term. Mainly because its as another poster said, there is no point in defining yourself in what you aren't. I'm an amateur artist, college student, blue color worker, who also enjoys Anthropomorphic animals, science fiction, biology, religious studies, and Anime.

I've seen that a lot of Atheist groups and atheists tend to have a chip on their shoulder from current or past transgressions from Christians and Muslims. The problem is that since the only thing that unites them is the disbelief in Theism, there isn't a lot of common ground except the wrongs done and those that cheat Theists and Atheists alike.

The common themes tend to focus around Religious influence on politics, morality, and science.

Many can be nasty, but I think a lot of that comes from internet anonymity combined with needing an outlet for their aggravation and pains. It can go to far, and some develop either victim complexes or grudges.

I don't think Christians define themselves by what they don't believe in. There are things about Christianity that I can't prove but that is where Faith comes in.

i was referring to atheists. meaning even though i'm an atheist, it's not my defining point. and i find it weird/immature to have atheism as a central part of identity.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back